Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:18:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout 4

Started by Mister Six, November 05, 2014, 02:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdine

Fingers crossed for a Dreamcast version.

robotam

Benjaminos

Good lord, that looks excellent. Finally ditching that creaky old Gamebryo engine, thank fuck - I imagine it'll still be a bug-ridden glitchfest though, because you know, Bethesda and everything.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Not a lot to go on there, but it doesn't look all that different to the previous two. That said...

I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Beagle 2

It looks a bit last-gen though, eh? And basically more of the same. Meh. It's getting a meh rating over here.

Consignia

Difficult to say from the trailer; there was no gameplay in it. It looked as distinct as 3 or New Vegas. I'm looking forward to it so far.

Space ghost

My last gen games didnt look anything like that :(

Benjaminos

Eh? Were we watching the same trailer? That dog animation at the beginning was a bit shonky, but everything from ~1m37s onwards looked brillotrons.

Pdine

Disappointing that once again nothing actually falls out of anything.

Thursday

As Jim Sterling has pointed out, very poor Arse-tech http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/06/lets-look-at-the-smooth-fallout-4-ass/

I mean compare that to The Witcher 3 which has bare arses from the first scene.

It looks entirely underwhelming for "next gen", extremely flat. Glad they've got some colour in there finally, hopefully that will be in the finished article.

I wonder why they continue this 1950s aesthetic. Is it just to be able to glossy over the whys and wherefores of the nuclear holocaust - "the idiots in the past just pressed the button instead of not doing so in our timeline" - or is it because a nuclear holocaust that happened today would leave behind a much harder-to-populate world (cars all looking different, skyscrapers etc.) and also require licensing expensive songs?

I'm one of the weird ones who liked Fallout 3 more than New Vegas - I didn't really feel like I had much agency in the latter, nothing I did really meant anything but Fallout 3 comes right out of the gate with a huge game changing option in practically the first mission. For that reason I'm looking forward to this a lot, even if graphically it's not mind-blowing.

Jamie Oliver is fat

very underwhelmed by the graphics when you consider what's possible these days

am I right there's no release date with this preview? they're hyping the E3 hype announcement?

syntaxerror

I really hope all the speculation and discussion from now until release isn't about the graphics, I mean come on, aren't games past that now? As long as they're functional and don't detract from the gameplay, everything else is icing. I get that people expect a certain amount of progress but if how it looks is more important than how it plays, you're probably not making the most of the experience.

Jamie Oliver is fat

It's not that it's more important, it's just that it's now possible to make games look a lot better than that as well as having great gameplay, which makes them a lot more immersive and enjoyable.

Poor show IMO

fit bird

Still using the same horrendous walking animation from Fallout 3 and NV then...

Junglist

Some rumours that this was gonna be cross-gen, hence the average look of it, but the 360/PS3 were dropped and now they've been left with what you see.

After New Vegas though, this needs to be incredible for me to jump in.

Thursday

I'm not one to go on about graphics, and while it does still look quite nice, it does make me worried it'll still feel a bit shonky in the way Fallout/Elder Scrolls games do. It might be more than just a new lick of paint, but it doesn't quite look like it's a completely new engine either.

Still, it's better that they do something honest rather than showing something they can't possibly deliver on.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

No, it doesn't look like a completely new engine.

You just think..seven years.

Seven years! That's all they can muster.

QuoteI really hope all the speculation and discussion from now until release isn't about the graphics, I mean come on, aren't games past that now?

Welcome to the speculation and discussion about every hyped game ever.

ziggy starbucks

mods will transform the game into exactly what you want anyway

no super mutants in the trailer...

edit: agree with mook that the most important thing is that its not bugged to fuckery

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It does look less impressive to me than Skyrim did running on the 360.

I wonder if there's any significance to the flashbacks in the trailer there.

Quote from: The Region Legion on June 03, 2015, 05:08:16 PM
I wonder why they continue this 1950s aesthetic.
Eh? That's the series whole thing. They could no more drop that than The Elder Scrolls could have rid of the swords and scorcery.

wooders1978

Well I punched the air and said "yeah fall outs back!" - I am excited by the trailer - but I loved 3, new Vegas and skyrim so

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They could have a nineties apocalypse where you run around the ruins of Barking to 'Cotton Eyed Joe' and 'Scatman's World'.

Wow that looks shite. I didn't get more than half an hour into 3, mind you, and less than five minutes into new vegas. Clunkiest engine I've suffered in a wankathon style big game. Total aids. I'll preorder it though like every other SHITER I've bought. It's still probably better than Witcher 3, which I'm convinced only got good reviews in a kind of inverted snobbery because the devs are third world.

Thursday

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 03, 2015, 07:29:40 PM
They could have a nineties apocalypse where you run around the ruins of Barking to 'Cotton Eyed Joe' and 'Scatman's World'.

What about Cartoons' cover of Witch Doctor?

Viero_Berlotti

That fucking dog is gonna fucking get a fucking bullet in it's fucking face for a fucking start off.

wasp_f15ting

My fanny is so moist

The Masked Unit

Looks laughably bad. Would not bat an eyelid if you told me it was last gen only.

Rev

Fucking hell, graphics twats.  Even here.  All on the basis of a Youtube video of something that's probably not going to be released for 18 months.  Probably just go with unrepresentative pre-rendered stuff for trailers in the future, yeah?  That always works out well.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Region Legion on June 03, 2015, 05:08:16 PM
I wonder why they continue this 1950s aesthetic.

Because it's absolutely essential to the series's identity, and has been since the first fallout game. It's like saying "Why do they keep putting dragons in the Dragon Age games?" Well...

They could ditch it but it would mean rebooting the entire universe, and people are well into the one that currently exists.

Also, what would you replace it with? Flat plasma screens or holo devices that look like they came from any number of other games?

Quote from: Consignia on June 02, 2015, 07:51:33 PM
For me, I never got the love for the Elder Scrolls games, like Skyrim. I like the game style, I just can't stand the fantasy setting. Which is why I'm looking forward to Fallout, because it's in a more comfortable setting.

For me, it's the reactivity. I hate that you can just do practically everything in Elder Scrolls games and become a noble-evil-skulking-showoff warriorassassinthiefwizard. New Vegas had an incredible sense of existing in a cohesive world in which everything was affecting everything else, and having people fall out (hey!) with you because you fucked with their clan made perfect sense.

Chances of there being a "bullet to the knee" gag somewhere in there?

The Masked Unit

Quote from: Rev on June 04, 2015, 12:56:04 AM
Fucking hell, graphics twats.  Even here.  All on the basis of a Youtube video of something that's probably not going to be released for 18 months.  Probably just go with unrepresentative pre-rendered stuff for trailers in the future, yeah?  That always works out well.

Look, I'm sure the game will be brilliant if you like that kind of thing (like The Boston Crab, I couldn't get past half an hour or so of Fallout 3 without wanting to blow my brains out), but it's entirely valid to say that visually it looks incredibly sub-par for current gen. I'm not saying they should have a CG trailer or lie about it; just that it astounds me that they could make something that looks that bad.