Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout 4

Started by Mister Six, November 05, 2014, 02:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on September 18, 2016, 02:38:15 PM

In conclusion: This is a good game.

when heavily modded

I imagine vanilla is a bit shit

Shade

I liked it. It was the first Fallout game I played at the time, so the lack of RPG elements didn't bother me much. The combat is much better than previous games, feels a lot more responsive and enemies are less bullet spongy. The storyline wasn't great, it's hard to feel a sense of urgency about saving my son, who I have known for less than 5 minutes, when I'm being asked to help settlements, one after the other. I suppose that's the problem with open world games. Also, I'm not entirely certain how the institute planned to achieve its aims with its current methods. The missions got a bit repetitive as well, I think there was one, possibly two, that I resolved without violence. (The drugs dealers outside the diner...struggling to think of another.)
All that said, I liked the setting, some interesting characters and companions, the weapon/armour mods, piecing together little stories from holotapes and computers, the soundtrack is gorgeous (the radio and background music) and lets face it, settlement building is addictive.

I had more fun with it than F3, which for long periods just felt like a chore. NV was my favourite though. I felt like I had to make my decisions carefully in order to get the outcome I wanted(me and Yes Man running NV). And as Bazooka said, you get some cool guns in the DLC. I like the dog gun that barks/whimpers when you equip/unequip it. Unfortunately I had to quit that mission as I was ill-equipped.... I'll do some of the others first.

My favourite Fallout 4 moment was watching a legendary Bloat Fly out maneuver and kill a Deathclaw, which was hilarious until it turned its attentions to me.
Favourite NV moment was killing Andrew Ryan Dr House with a golf club and getting the "A slave obeys" achievement.

Spoon of Ploff

I joined the party at FO3 and I've enjoyed them all. Easy to please I guess. It's the exploration element that I like the most - hacking that beaten up old terminal in some rundown shack and finding the pre-war ramblings of an author suffering from writers block. O-or trying to work out what the deal was with that pink food paste.

There's a fella on YouTube - thenthapple  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxqNmTfrvYPVP_wzFybNANQ (sorry if he's been mentioned before)
He likes to work out the back story behind the buildings,vaults, and characters in the game and I try to do the same.

Some random favourite bits from New Vegas:

- the robotic spoutings of the talking stealth suit (e.g. "Don't you like me any more?" "Will you love me if I help you hide?")
- walking into the previously neutral BOS bunker forgetting I was wearing NCR armour, and wondering why everyone was suddenly trying to kill me

From FO4

- the punchline to the USS Constitution side quest (if you side with the 'bots)
- coming across the Robotics Pioneer Park after completing main quests, and watching the four Protectron's do their thing. For me this was one of the most poignant scenes in any of the three games.

I'm tempted to dust off the XBox 360 and revisit FO3

Well mods are finally on the PS4 in the most half arsed way imaginable...they really might as well have not bothered.

Sony's 'concerns' about security are stupid considering how eminently hackable the PSN network already is...I'm starting to have serious doubts about Sony's ability to handle a lead the size they have this generation...they are exposing their real nature...take this into account,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyerXWsARo

How out and out disgusting is that? 'You got hacked cause our security is none existent? Well fuck you, you're paying us back, or you're banned'.

Zetetic

Having delayed picking this up until it hit ~£10, in response to what I'd heard about it, I'm astounded at how poorly the opening section is handled given that I think the idea is fundamentally sound.

Viero_Berlotti

Did anyone on here ever bother with any of the mods on PS4 then?

I'm thinking of starting a new game and having a play about with a few mods. I might play it on survival difficulty and give this 'Immersive Gameplay' mod a go

https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/3061277

Twed

I like the mod that came as standard which made melee weapons ridiculously overpowered

wooders1978

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 25, 2017, 02:07:30 PM
Did anyone on here ever bother with any of the mods on PS4 then?

I'm thinking of starting a new game and having a play about with a few mods. I might play it on survival difficulty and give this 'Immersive Gameplay' mod a go

https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/3061277

I am - its really breathed new life into the game for me - I've done the standard cheaty ones (all stats maxed, no weight limit, easy locks etc) to remove some of the tedium of the game (overpowered AF but this is my 4th play through)
But I have also added some really nice atmospheric touches someone has done which really bring something to the table - a storm mod that varies the severity of nuclear storms and really adds to the atmosphere and a vegetation one which gives the wasteland an overgrown last of us look which is loads better than the original skin IMO

Oh yeah and dogmeat is a little killing machine

wooders1978

P.s by the way there is an atmospheric mod that I do not recommend, it's adds fog to The Wasteland and it's just too heavy you can't really see where you going and is generally Ott, I think it's literally called atmospheric Wasteland or something

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 25, 2017, 08:27:15 PM
P.s by the way there is an atmospheric mod that I do not recommend, it's adds fog to The Wasteland and it's just too heavy you can't really see where you going and is generally Ott, I think it's literally called atmospheric Wasteland or something

Yes, I downloaded that one. It looked shite and washed all the detail and sharpness out of the graphics. There was another one that was a little bit better that gave the sky a red apocalyptic glow but it was fun for 30 minutes and then started to get tiresome.

I'll give the storm/weather one a go, but I'm not too sure about the green vegetation one. I've always liked the drab colour palette of the landscape, it is supposed to be a post-apocalyptic nuclear landscape after all and lush green vegetation seems at odds with that.

Custard

Just to say, this is currently 9.99 on't Steam.

Very tempted!

Mister Six

It's definitely worth a tenner. Don't bother with the DLC though - the basic game is so vast, thin and repetitive that it feels redundant.

Playing New Vegas again now, and loving it. Such a detailed and well-fleshed-out world. The superior RPG system and writing make it far more immersive than F4, even if the graphics are much cruder.

Mobius

Quote from: Mister Six on October 17, 2017, 10:32:48 PM
Playing New Vegas again now, and loving it. Such a detailed and well-fleshed-out world. The superior RPG system and writing make it far more immersive than F4, even if the graphics are much cruder.

Yeah NV is my favourite Fallout game (better than Skyrim I reckon as well)

I hate Fallout 4 for them simplifying the dialogue and making it less RPG like.

colacentral

I never completed the story on Fallout 4 - I wanted to go against the Institute or whatever it was but I found out that doing that destroys their radio station - as in, the best radio station in the game.

I spent most of my time on settlement building, which I couldn't get enough of. I hope they keep that feature in future games and expand on it, it has so much potential. It's incredibly satisfying just getting lights switched on, and I enjoyed seeing my townsfolk turning up to my bar at night.

I haven't played any of the DLC yet, been waiting for it to get dirt cheap. One day soon I'll get back in to it.

It is a shame about the RPG elements not being there - it feels all a bit dull when you feel like every dialogue option leads to the same outcome. Still a great game though.

Bazooka

It was a fantastic game, but I would agree not as good as New Vegas and without stating the obvious the reason being the lack of RPG elements. I also found in FO4 by the time I was lvl 35 or whatever I was adding perks just because I had the points to do so, the perks you wanted were nestled deep in the other stat trees or they were redundent by that point.

I played it purely as melee as I have done with FO3/NV and I was running around with the same super sledge for 80% of the game never getting a better weapon or armor, had all the useful perks and only needed to use level ups for stat increases and perks for hacking etc, even though I knew I would never get any better equipment from hacking or lock picking.

New Vegas I did melee, unarmed, energy and explosive only playthroughs, but never got the urge to do the same with Fallout 4.

Mister Six

Quote from: colacentral on October 18, 2017, 07:21:34 AM
I spent most of my time on settlement building, which I couldn't get enough of. I hope they keep that feature in future games and expand on it, it has so much potential.

I agree on the potential, but like so much of Fo4, it felt like a great idea executed by a team without the talent or interest needed to do it properly.

I spent most of my time struggling with seemingly arbitrary connection points and trying to get walls to fit comfortably on the uneven ground (I know you can partially bury cement constructions but concrete's in short supply early on and the concrete walls look so boring). Playing on console probably didn't help, but the option to zoom out to a bird's eye view and snap stuff to a grid would have been appreciated.

i gave up when I realised that building a wall around the settlement, complete with guard towers, sniper positions and turrets was a waste of time - in the event of an attack the enemies just teleport inside the area anyway. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Also, the fact that you can't scrap stuff you've built to get the same number of resources back discourages experimentation and doesn't even make sense from a mechanical point of view (it's not like the game is dependent at all on you constructing these fortifications, so it hardly breaks the game to let you knock stuff down and build it up again at will).

QuoteIt is a shame about the RPG elements not being there - it feels all a bit dull when you feel like every dialogue option leads to the same outcome.

I strongly suspect that this - and the largely linear missions - were a deliberate choice to make playtesting and quality control easier, and to avoid an NV situation where they're forced to put out a game riddled with bugs that needs to be patched up to the eyeballs to work.

Which is fair enough, but means you're basically just making a post-apocalyptic FarCry, not a Fallout game.