Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

80 Days

Started by Bored of Canada, November 06, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is a most wonderful thing.

80 Days is an IOS game that's only about 6 dollars; I have fallen utterly and head over hills in love.

http://youtu.be/Ai6ISI3uimA

You are Passepartout, the freshly hired French valet by the odd gentleman, Phileas Fogg to help him travel around the world in 80 days to win a bet.

The game sees you actually attempt this through hugely branching interactive fiction. A beautifully written and delivered interactive fiction choose your own adventure.

It's delivered in a very minimalistic style. Very brief passages that let your imagination go wild.

Spoiler alert
I chose to peek out the window of the train in Siberia, and saw a train of iron passing us. A prisoner train. It doesn't have a destination. It just goes back and forth. If you look closely,  you even see the silhouettes of children. The prisoners are able to bring their families.  That's really all they tell yo,u but it's such an evocative little moment in a game filled with them
[close]

You spend your rime trying to discover routes between cities to cities, managing your time, funds and relationship with Fogg. It's very clever. It is just simple, perfect, exciting, hopeful and stressful all at once.

It is filled with beautiful moments and it seems very likely that you can play this quite a few number of times and discover many different things.

You may find love. You may be drawn into a murder mystery. You may...well...Play for yourself!

It makes me smile.

madhair60

does it have killstreaks?

Quote from: madhair60 on November 06, 2014, 01:55:44 PM
does it have killstreaks?

Only the blood spatter drying into brown rusty streaks across deck, as the oriental's broken body transitions to death.

This sounds great. Hit me up when it's on Android, my cat's sniffing my beer, gotta go!

hoverdonkey

It is really great. They got all gooey about it on Idle Thumbs a couple of weeks ago - a couple of those guys have played through it three times each and had different experiences each time.

I've done two full record attempts of this.

This is probably my favourite game of this year. It has really moved me. I've laughed on a number of occasions too. It's taken me on a real rollercoaster ride. I'm so pleased with it. It is so incredibly well written and executed. There's such brevity and the spaces where things are not said carry so much weight. It also has such a rapid pace. I'm always left shaking and tense after long plays, trying to manage the funds and bribe and cajole my way onto various travel machines and out of sticky situations, and worry about timetables and Fogg's health and keeping all these systemic plates spinning on top of the wild card nature of the shifting, twisting plots.

There's so much pulling you to chase the story and explore and smell the roses, but we've got to fucking scarper and get to London quick smart. And therefore successful playthroughs are games of brief encounters with strange and wonderful people and no time to truly make a difference.

There's so much to see and experience, with branching storylines and conversations where you can't see it all. And on your next go through, the seed will be different and different things will happen if you go exactly the same way.

I'm actually going to read the original Jules Verne book because of this. 80 Days. It's wonderful. Seriously. Get your hands on it.

It's utterly lovely. It gives you hope for the world.

mikerus

Bump, seen as there's not been any posts since this came out on android.

I picked this up the other day after watching Matt Lees' top moments of 2014 video and I haven't put it down since.

Currently on my second playthrough after taking a mammoth 125 days on my first attempt and I'm already looking forward to starting a third. It's great fun and has that 'one-more-turn' sort of feel that finds you still awake at 3am when you've been playing it for hours.

I don't think I've got the hang of the buying/selling yet. Any time I acquire something that it says it valuable elsewhere I end up going in the opposite direction and having to flog it for barely any profit.

Anyway, you should all buy it and give me hints.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Anyone been on the Nautilus yet? Pretty sure you can also do some interesting exploring around Reykjavik.

My record is 71 days I think, might have been 73.

kittens

i love it i think my best was about fifty days

Lt Plonker

There's a murder mystery on the crossing to Honolulu that I've failed to solve twice now.

Pff. Whatever, mate.

TotalNightmare

i've been toying getting this for a while, everything about it looks to appeal to my particular interests, and I like the community aspect of it.

based on your comments, I may decide to give in and get it...

the internet in action, people!

mikerus

Quote from: Onken on January 25, 2015, 10:10:26 PM
What the fuck.

Good innit?

I did a run up round the north pole last night and got into some homoerotic situations. I don't mind telling you, my pulse was RACING!
This game's got it all.

My best is now 60ish days.

TotalNightmare

Finally got a hold of 80 Days - I'm currently on day 20 on my trip around the globe.

I was surprised that it kind of throws you in at the deep end when you first start and it takes a while to understand the mechanics, but it was refreshing to not have a tutorial that holds your hand and eventually, you begin to figure out what's available and what you can do and how to use conversation to open up new routes...

I have had a whale of a time with it - I got involved with a weird love triangle on a slow boat to Bombay - if that happens again, I am ditching that rotten penny dreadful in the sea!

I've been robbed too many times to mention - but I am an idiot it seems when it comes to trusting people

I visited a automaton fair and learnt about the weird sci/fi - steampunk approach the story sometimes takes.

And I bought a load of maps I didn't need and was totally unprepared for the bad weather...

I am loving this game

I also love that I can see other players on their own journey - and the different routes they take - they make me go "Awww, I want to fly across the desert on a robot bird!"

I intend on playing this - a lot

I tried going to the north pole once. Willy Fogg died. It was bleak as fuck.

TotalNightmare

Does the game end if Fogg dies then?

Serves him right!

Quote from: TotalNightmare on January 27, 2015, 01:08:46 PM
Does the game end if Fogg dies then?

Serves him right!

Indeed. I think everyone else dies too in that scenario.

TotalNightmare

then yes... grim...

I will probably end up mugged and buried in the desert up to my neck!

Well,

i got stuck in africa and had to hunt for slaves in villages - I tried to kill the person in charge of the hunt and discovered it was a dream. Some of the slaves died I have to admit, it all got pretty bleak...

This game is awesome

MojoJojo

42 days! And Passepartout got some man love along the way - well, he is a Frenchman.

http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=oUZxg9ZvXu&playerName=mojojojo+

What happened after "DAY 28 — "Disaster has struck and we are doomed...""?

This is where I died...

MojoJojo

That feels a bit spoilerific. And I keep on thinking I did it in 42 days, even though it was clearly 45.

Spoiler alert
after tredging through the snow for a few days, the woman who had sabotaged the ship(can't remember her name, sorry) came back and rescued us, because she was feeling guilty about it.
[close]

Thursday

I'm not far into this, and I know it's mostly just text, but I'm really finding playing on a phone to be a barrier to immersion. Steam version or fuck off mate!

MojoJojo

The interface is a bit fucked, with the case packing. You can only move something from the righthand case into the lefthand case if the space is on right of the lefthand case. In resident evil this shit was just a matter of pointless tedium forced on you between the fun bits, but in 80 days it's timed and you get punished if you take too long. I've missed at least 3 trips because I unexpectedly had to rearrange bags.

Actually, the interface is not intuitive and distinctly unhelpful[nb] the time the bank opens on Monday is pretty important, thuck you[/nb] in lots of ways, but the thing that fucks it up is that it's all timed. It doesn't take particularly long to work out what your options are, but flailing about trying to find out what information is available on a time limit is just annoying.

I still don't understand why sometimes I have routes shown on the map that I don't have a departure time for.

Rolf Lundgren

It took me some time to get going with this. On my first go I started going through Russia and a bunch of towns where nothing much happened before I completely messed the trip up by insisting on going back on myself to Kabul to flog some perfume or something. Once I got to India things started to pick up and I found myself getting more into it and soon enough I was getting into all sorts of hijinks like leading a mutiny on a boat and getting into a fight with a light-heavyweight champion.

On the next run I think I'm going to be a complete bastard to Fogg. Press your own shirts mate, I'm going for a stroll round Chittagong.

BPFHAY

Oh dear, I seem to love this.

For anybody in the US who owns a Chromecast: check your offers page through the Chromecast app. There's a promotion for a free $6 credit for Valentine's day; you can use that to cover the cost of this game.

biggytitbo

9th attempt I managed it in 74 days going through Russia. Good fun!

Waking Life

I got round in 64 days on my first attempt, so had assumed the game to be a doddle.

Then I tried the North Pole route and died (this route also had some coarse swearing). Then tried the Trans-Siberian Express route, got waylaid, and finally stranded with no money. I was reduced to polishing boots in the hotel lobby. I also had a homosexual affair.

So I figured I was lucky. That said, on my latest trip, I'm in east India (not the trading company) and not yet at day 30, with around £20,000.

BPFHAY

Happy to say that my first attempt finished at 70 days, going through Russia and the US, and featured an interracial gay kiss. Especially amusing as Passepartout tried to sex every woman he met.

I love the way Passepartout will be like "and so I decided the best course of action regarding the hornet's was to;
Tell a nearby stabbingman that hornet's nest called him a cunt-
stick my dick directly into the hornet's nest-
pack the hornet's nest to sell in Chile, where hornet's nests are valued as high as one pound".

BPFHAY

Just go away from the hornet's nest, Passepartout.