Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

80 Days

Started by Bored of Canada, November 06, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I really enjoy what happens when you throw your lot in with
Spoiler alert
slavers
[close]

Spoiler alert
Trapping you in a town with only one route out at a price of 4 and a half thousand pounds, with no bank. Forcing you to beg for about 50 days.
[close]

If you're really enjoying 80 Days and looking for a similar game with a very different atmosphere, you really should check out Sunless Sea, although only if you're more experienced and can deal with a more substantial challenge.

I'm writing about it in the Sunless Sea thread but I'm not sure who'll actually look at that, but it's very similar to 80 Days but as a permadeath RPG, slightly randomising world, with large dashes of FTL thrown in. In a kind of Terry Pratchett meets Heart of Darkness style world, but those are more just hints at what it is, as it's really very much it's own thing.

Also Meg Jayanth who wrote 80 Days wrote a few islands for it! I'd be curious to find out which ones.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Bored of Canada on February 10, 2015, 03:38:12 AM
I really enjoy what happens when you throw your lot in with
Spoiler alert
slavers
[close]

Spoiler alert
Trapping you in a town with only one route out at a price of 4 and a half thousand pounds, with no bank. Forcing you to beg for about 50 days.
[close]

I did that yesterday and got pissed off with
Spoiler alert
begging and cleaning shoes in the hotel for weeks on end
[close]
that I had to quit. The other option was to somehow
Spoiler alert
let Fogg die but despite hovering around the 40/50 mark for a while the bastard kept pulling through. It serves me right
[close]

I'm really starting to learn the value of certain items. It's well worth going out of your way to flog the really expensive stuff rather than hanging around waiting for banks. I just wish the touch screen interface was better. The aforementioned struggle with arranging suitcases goes on and the constant zooming in and out of the globe whenever it wants really grates.

BPFHAY

The interface is pigs, total pork.

biggytitbo

Did it in 57 days, arseholes.

brat-sampson

This game is FREE on the android Amazon app store for the next couple of days.

I bought it over Christmas, enjoyed what I've played of it so far, and now it's bloody FREE. I can't link to it, you have to go through the Amazon app store app thing.

Aside: If you like podcasts, DoggCatcher is my preferred Android listening option and that's bloody FREE as well. There's a bunch of other things but I don't know if I should care about any of those.

BPFHAY

biggytitbo

brat-sampson

I paid about £3. Amazon do spot groups of deals like this every now and then, their regular 'Free App of the Day' is usually garbage though so I don't even check.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Has anyone ever TELEPORTED? I have as of yesterday.

Have also been on the Nautilus.

Thursday

Getting further into this now. Nearly died trying to travel across the desert by camel.

Now I've played it on Android and on iOS, I think I understand what people have been moaning about with the interface. For some reason it works much better on the iPhone/iPad

Thursday

ooh fuck, the thing that happens if you travel to Singapore via airship. Suddenly realizing how many potential stories there are in this game.

kittens

i've played it about six times, so now starting a new game is really boring. travelling through all of europe which i've done at least once before. i do really like it and want to play it more, but i can't muster up the energy to spend a good half hour skipping through a bunch of stuff i've seen before

Thursday

95 days. Absolutely fucked it. Thought I was way ahead of schedule and had time to mess around and lost weeks to stupid mistakes and lack of transport links.

MojoJojo

Quote from: kittens on February 28, 2015, 01:19:06 AM
i've played it about six times, so now starting a new game is really boring. travelling through all of europe which i've done at least once before. i do really like it and want to play it more, but i can't muster up the energy to spend a good half hour skipping through a bunch of stuff i've seen before

They do change some of it round and cut bits out - and new options open up like being able to go to Cambridge... but yeah, still a bit of a problem.

chuffed to report that I got back to London in a smooth 50 days on my first jolly around the world :) I didn't realize Id completed it until the game told me I had, as I hadn't by any means gone anywhere near round the world, just through Europe up to Norway, over to the North Pole, then back to London via Reyjikavick. Certainly not circumnavigating the whole planet in my opinion like.

Wasn't really feeling it much at all until the North Pole expedition kicked off and some actual sense of narrative began to happen. Prior to that I was just meandering around having chats, trying to chat up women and buying the odd artefact just felt proper insubstantial. Anyway, Fogg survived the tundras from me shaving him like crazy all the time and just as it was getting good the game was over. Am looking forward to a second, more extensive journey now.

It does seem like it will be really good, and great to play in slithers of free time like on the bus and that, but my one thing was Fogg; he didn't actually do nothing! I did everything, and despite the game painting him as some kind of true grit motherfucker I cant actually think of a time when the story involved HIM saving the day or indeed engaging in almost any kind of action at all. If anything he should've been the fucking valet.

P.S ; 'Willy Fogg' would be an excellent phrase for senile erectile dysfunction.

Grandpa: Ah its all fun and games now lad but wait til you get to my age and the willy fog sets in lol

I think that's very much the point. It gives you a lot of opportunities to reflect on Phileas Fogg and generally has options for you to be disgruntled, reflecting on how you're the one doing all the work. But he remains very introverted, terse and withholding. Not a man to mince words or to chit-chat. He just has a dogged determination to circumnavigate the globe and needs you to sort out the nitty gritty details of that.

It makes the moments where he does step in or offer any kind of open emotional gesture very powerful.

amnesiac

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 06, 2014, 06:26:21 PM
This sounds great. Hit me up when it's on Android, my cat's sniffing my beer, gotta go!

haha I feel the same about any App that's not on Google Play, like a waif orphan pressing their nose against the Karl Largerfeld yacht party.

I just bought it for Android and will hunt Bored of Canadas down if it's rubbish.

Unfortunately the Android version seems to have weird interface problems the iOS version doesn't.

No idea why.

Wilbur

Quote from: brat-sampson on February 12, 2015, 09:16:02 PM
This game is FREE on the android Amazon app store for the next couple of days.

I bought it over Christmas, enjoyed what I've played of it so far, and now it's bloody FREE. I can't link to it, you have to go through the Amazon app store app thing.

Aside: If you like podcasts, DoggCatcher is my preferred Android listening option and that's bloody FREE as well. There's a bunch of other things but I don't know if I should care about any of those.

I got it from Amazon on this. Be aware that if you uninstall the Amazon app then all the games from them stop working. Fuckers.

Ferris

Got this on Switch, and it is great.

73 days, first run through. Some Russians took my hammer, I flew on a secret mad bird plane thing, and spent 3 nights sleeping rough in San Francisco. We're also not welcome in Calgary no more.

Fun.

bgmnts

Can you make Phileas Fogg a top shagger in this?

Thursday

Well you control Passepartout, but you can make sure Fogg is looking dapper... I don't think Fogg does any shagging though.

Ferris

My Passepartout did alright.

*spoilers - I implore you to buy this game for $10 and enjoy it for yourself, so don't read below if you haven't played it*

This game pulls absolutely no punches - the amount of times I had challenges I could have completed but ballsed up because I wasn't thinking properly was... ugh. I also had my luggage taken twice in my most recent run (once while on a trip to San Pedro to sell about 5 grands worth of stuff in San Pedro) and I still would have made it but I was about 50 quid short of the ticket back to London.

Also, you don't seem to go faster by going the most "direct" route - I was side tracked a few times and the game figures out a way to zip you along so you can spend time exploring different cities/routes without (too much) guilt.

It's great tbh. Haven't beaten 73 days though.

Thursday

You open up new routes after a few playthroughs, so the quickest it's possible to do it is if you go to the North Pole.

Dewt

I am bad at being exactly right on tiiyeeeem in this.

Ferris

I notice Toronto is on Lake Huron (well, technically Georgian Bay) rather than Lake Ontario so this game is now officially dead to me.

Still great though. Went to the North Pole, it was alright.

Here's a map I found of all the possible routes
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/648877624321805784/592F1FB9A14E19429C96184F1894C2CE8861B6DE/

Here's the wiki so you can see what mad stuff is out there (only after you've played through a few times, don't ruin it for yourself!)
https://80days.fandom.com/wiki/80_Days_Wiki

Right, I'll stop bumping this thread now.