Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, PC)

Started by Onken, November 07, 2014, 10:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 05, 2016, 06:56:20 PM
If they're running out of cities it does seem insane that they wouldn't do one in London. Would people in the US really not be down with that in this day and age? It must be the second most famous city in the world?

Top 10 is -

Paris
Hull
New York
Dallas
Australia
Leeds
Moscow
Cairo
London 1
London 2

mobias

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 05, 2016, 07:05:29 PM
But wasn't there some suggestion that London would be too difficult to simulate with all its winding roads and unusual layout? Maybe the new gen can solve that.

Yup the roads are too narrow to be playable GTA style. On top of that Rockstar have now said they can't see the franchise ever being set outside the US. I can see why, GTA is really all about American culture. A UK set GTA would just seem a bit odd I think. Plus if you thought GTAIV's Liberty City seemed like an endless maze of roads then god knows what a London one would seem like.

Van Dammage

It was a pain in the arse in The Getaway so I imagine it'd be even worse on next gen with all the little details that could be added.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, "GTA London" sounds good out loud, but I don't think there's much opportunity for good driving and I don't know if it'd be different enough from Liberty City really anyway.  Also, landmarks like the Empire State building are just generic enough to imitate convincingly, but I don't know how on-board folk would be with a fake Big Ben or Buckingham Palace.

My source in Nuneaton tells me there have been a lot of people taking photographs lately[nb]he may have just meant in general, I wasn't really listening[/nb].

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 05, 2016, 11:40:31 PM
landmarks like the Empire State building are just generic enough to imitate convincingly, but I don't know how on-board folk would be with a fake Big Ben or Buckingham Palace.
Huh?

Anyway, I stand by '70s San Francisco. It's the only choice that makes sense in this crazy mixed up world.

mobias

A bit of a bomb has dropped today on GTA and Rockstar today. The ex head of Rockstar North Les Benzies left the company last year, apparently amicably, but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case. He appears to have been forced out and is now suing Rockstar for $150 million dollars. This actually may have quite profound consequences for the game and company as a whole. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-12-leslie-benzies-suing-rockstar-over-USD150-million

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 05, 2016, 11:40:31 PM
Yeah, "GTA London" sounds good out loud, but I don't think there's much opportunity for good driving and I don't know if it'd be different enough from Liberty City really anyway.  Also, landmarks like the Empire State building are just generic enough to imitate convincingly, but I don't know how on-board folk would be with a fake Big Ben or Buckingham Palace.

Yeah, that's one of the big issues, I think - Americans wouldn't mind driving around an ersatz New York or some other kind of American town, but would they really want to drive around a pretend London? It'd be two steps removed from what they understand of the world.

That kind of thing works slightly better in the other direction, though, since American cultural penetration abroad is a lot more successful than in the other direction.

You'd probably have a bit more luck with non-English-speaking countries, since Yanks know a lot less about them, but the only two that really seem glitzy enough are Hong Kong and Tokyo, and Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza both have them sewn up.

For me, I think the only really iconic, unique-looking city the US has got left[nb]Assuming you're including the pre-HD games, which means Miami, Las Vegas and San Francisco are all out, as well as NY and LA.[/nb] is New Orleans. Lots of cool potential there for great music, creepy voodoo crime bosses, corruption and swamplands filled with hovercraft and alligators. Plus, there's a whole genre of weird Southern crime/mystery stories that could be worked into the mix.

What would be really good would be mixing up a couple of states (as San Andreas did, mixing Nevada and California), so you could have Vice City/Miami, then the swamplands of Florida bleeding through into Louisiana for the New Orleans-style city. And maybe even a third 'city' that's a corrupt Disneyland/Universal Studios theme park parody.

Fuck, while I'm wishing, bolt on a bleak Kentucky mountain area too so I can play Justified: The Video Game.

Onken

I know a couple of people here were suckers enough to buy Shark cards but fuck me.

http://pureplaystation.com/gta-onlines-shark-cards-have-made-500000000/2016/04/

Red Dead's DLC will suffer as a result.

colacentral

Why the weird nasty aggression towards Wales in that link? What a cunt.

brat-sampson

Can't blame me, I never even played GTAO, aside from trying it once on PS3 at launch, having it crash/fail to connect a few times then giving up forever. I'm still basically on the side of Fuck Microtransactions in retail games but increasingly aware I'm going to end up on the wrong less financially viable side of history here.

hedgehog90

I play GTA Online regularly, it's pretty much the only game I'm playing right now.
But Christ. Those cards buy you fuck all, I can't believe anyone actually spends money on them. In-game money gets you is a nice car or aircraft. It buys you status, in a world where frankly nobody gives a damn about status.

What really pisses me off about this though is knowing how many bugs there are that they haven't fixed. I've never played a more unstable game in my life. In a weird way it's quite charming, but I don't know why anyone else puts up with it.
The absurdly long network times are a serious problem, that they haven't even tried to address since release. It's not uncommon to wait 3-5 minutes joining/leaving a session. It freezes and crashes constantly.
Not to mention it's plagued to fuck with cheaters, which in a modern MMO is bizarre.

It's unacceptable that they're making all that dosh and haven't fixed a single problem (as far as I can tell) since release. GTAO is a complete wreck frankly, the only reason I play it so often is because I have mates on there and if you overlook all the flaws there is a fantastic game underneath.

I won't bore you with a list of bugs, but I'm confident I could fill a page of A4.
It's unbelievable.

wooders1978

Quote from: colacentral on April 13, 2016, 06:48:37 AM
Why the weird nasty aggression towards Wales in that link? What a cunt.
It was wasn't it? Can only be an embittered welshman?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rev

Quote from: mobias on April 12, 2016, 07:14:30 PM
A bit of a bomb has dropped today on GTA and Rockstar today.

I know you shouldn't take sides until all the facts are out in the open, but it does seem like Benzies was shafted.  The 'sabbatical' is a well-worn method of getting someone out of the way while you restructure the company, and changing the locks before they get back.

That's probably it for Rockstar North as anything other than a name, isn't it? 

mobias

Quote from: Rev on April 17, 2016, 04:38:49 AM
I know you shouldn't take sides until all the facts are out in the open, but it does seem like Benzies was shafted.  The 'sabbatical' is a well-worn method of getting someone out of the way while you restructure the company, and changing the locks before they get back.

It does indeed look like he was shafted. There's very definitely two sides to every story though and it was known that Les Benzie and Sam Houser had a long, complex and fracturous relationship over the years. It wouldn't surprise me though if we don't hear anymore of this story. Knowing how secretive and below the radar Rockstar like to be its very much in their interest to settle out of court, even if it does cost them many millions of dollars. It'll make the problem go away at least.

Quote from: Rev on April 17, 2016, 04:38:49 AM

That's probably it for Rockstar North as anything other than a name, isn't it? 

Not at all. You've got to remember this is yesterdays news to the actual employees. They've now been working for about two years without Benzies being around to lead them and have moved into a much bigger studio and are currently going through a huge expansion program. I can also say the stories going around various forums that loads of people have resigned over Benzies leaving is total bullshit. A few of the longer standing employees have indeed left in the last 18 months but there's nothing unusual about that. The company always sheds staff after a game comes out. All that being said Les Benzies was a much liked and respected boss at the studio so the whole thing isn't particularly nice for people.

From an observers point of view its sad to think that there's next to no one who now who works for Rockstar North who's been there since the very beginning but making GTA is a bit of a young mans game I guess and making it is an incredibly long, difficult and arduous process. Multimillion pound pay cheques or not there's only so long people can do it for. Anyway Aaron Garbut is still there and is now director of the studio. I think from a creative point of view as far as GTA is concerned it would be a much bigger blow if he ever left. It'll certainly be interesting to see what GTAVI will be like. Possibly a lot less online centric I think. Sounds like GTA Online was very much Les Benzies baby.

mobias

Can't find the old GTA Online thread but has anyone given the new GTA Online stunt races a go yet? I really recommend it, they're bloody good fun. As everyone is currently playing it there's lots of ridiculously full races too. 30 player races are just carnage. Its total over the top arcade nonsense of the highest order. Rockstar should really make a stand alone game like this. Its only let down by being imbedded in GTA Online so if the server crashes (which seems to happen with a fair degree of regularity) you get booted out and then you have to navigate Online's convoluted as hell menu system to get back into a race. There's a lot of waiting in menu screens. Fun as hell when it works though.

hedgehog90

They're good, but years before GTA V I used to play Multi Theft Auto San Andreas (a free online racing mod), and the races the community created were very similar to these new stunt races in GTA V, but much better IMO.
I've no doubt R* took some inspiration from MTA, but the races they created are just a bit too safe and dull for me.
I think I might dig up MTA tomorrow, and I suggest anyone with a PC copy of San Andreas try it too. It's ace.

mobias

Rockstar are apparently going to release building tools to the community so people can custom make tracks themselves. People will no doubt come up with some pretty crazy shit.

I wish someone would release a stand alone game like this. Playing it made me realise how much I love a good over the top arcade racing game, especially playing online.

lazarou

Isn't that basically the Trackmania series? They've had fully featured track editors since forever too.

mobias

Quote from: lazarou on July 24, 2016, 08:14:50 PM
Isn't that basically the Trackmania series? They've had fully featured track editors since forever too.

Yeah pretty much. I much prefer GTA's vehicle physics though.