Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, PC)

Started by Onken, November 07, 2014, 10:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

BeardFaceMan

FUCK YOU AMAZON CUNTS!!! Or, just in case, FUCK YOU POSTIE FOR BEING VERY LATE!!! I really need to start using proper shops again.

mobias

Forgotten how tedious some of those early missions are. I'd also forgotten how annoyingly over the top a lot of the clunky dialogue is particularly between Franklin and Lamar.  Is this really how people in LA talk to each other or is this how Rockstar imagine people in LA talk to each other? Either way my girlfriend isn't a fan of all the swearing lol.  Other than that its all really quite gorgeous and the frame rate really making a difference. You no longer get that stuttering effect as you drive fast through heavy traffic. I think the CVG guys were right in saying a lot of the differences are quite subtle but once you add them all together the sum of their parts makes all the difference. The lighting engine was really good before but now its just incredible. I was playing there and it was sunset across the city and all the glass on the skyscrapers reflected the light back at me creating camera flare as I drove down the street. The anti aliasing is a lot better than it was but its still not perfect. There's still that shimmering effect off far away objects. I like the depth of field effect but its more subtle than I expected. Also its amazing what a difference that little speaker in the PS4 controller makes to the sound. A great little addition there. The in car first person is superb, really immersing. First person on foot I'm not so sure about. Its a novelty that wears off pretty quickly I think but if you like first person games then I suppose its just an option thats there if you want it.

Enjoying it all so far but I'm just keen to get all these early holding your hand showing you the ropes missions over and done with.

Thursday

That's one of my main memories of the game to be honest, endless dialogue. They could have improved things by just not writing anywhere near as much.

Onken

Driving in first person is difficult but so much more fun. As you can see it's going to take me awhile to get use to.

mobias

So now that a few people are getting frighteningly far through the game fairly quickly there's a lot of new things being discovered. There's a few much welcome new interiors to explore plus a peyote mini game where you have to find 17 peyote scattered across the map and each one gives you a different hallucinogenic experience. If you skip to the 1hr.17min mark in this clip  you can see Franklin turn into a crow and you can then fly about the map. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKuuiAS2KL4#t=1h17m8s

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Thursday on November 18, 2014, 01:06:18 PM
That's one of my main memories of the game to be honest, endless dialogue.

I've found that for almost every GTA game, the characters just don't shut the fuck up. In fact from what I remember of GTA V, they carry on while you're driving to the mission a lot of the time.

Has to be a better balance to be struck, game makers these days have started believing all that Charlie Brooker shite about games being "interactive movies"

lazarou

The worst Rockstar offender there has to be Max Payne 3, the cutscenes go on and on and on until what momentum there was is entirely pissed away. It's not that badly written moment to moment, but it just never knows when to stop. That and it's so set on being gritty that it sucks all the fun right out of it. It wasn't half as good an actual game, but Kane & Lynch 2 hit that tone a whole lot better, and a whole lot more succinctly.

Replaying GTA IV in the wake of things that have come since, it's really hard to stomach. It's just fluff after fluff and it never seems to actually get to anything that isn't either straight up boring or padded with so much boring it's hard to be bothered. That and Niko's accent is flat-out embarrassing, it sounds like Fry from Futurama attempting cod-Russian or something. I'd forgotten how bad that was.

My most enduring memory of Red Dead Redemption is staring at a pair of galloping horses' arses while two people drone on about something or other. It's their best game by some margin with plenty else going for it, but when I think of RDR, that's the first thing that springs to mind. Got a spare minute? Fill it with some writing. No such thing as too much dialogue.

Genuinely miss GTA3 where the protagonist didn't even speak.

El Unicornio, mang

Although it might lack something here and there, GTA IV gets a 10 from me just for being an open world "New York". They really got the place spot on and I could spend hours just wandering around. Plus, I felt like Ballad of Gay Tony corrected enough of the faults of the main game to make it still very playable. Thankful that GTA IV fixed the getting to failed missions tedium of San Andreas too.

But in general I just liked GTA IV anyway. Didn't have a problem with the accent being off, and I never really felt bored except maybe the mission where you have to walk up that tower block.

Junglist

For those on the fence about this, PS4 beats XBox One on grass:

First person view will look glorious on the PS4 out in the countryside.

wooders1978

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 18, 2014, 09:42:51 PM
Although it might lack something here and there, GTA IV gets a 10 from me just for being an open world "New York". They really got the place spot on and I could spend hours just wandering around. Plus, I felt like Ballad of Gay Tony corrected enough of the faults of the main game to make it still very playable. Thankful that GTA IV fixed the getting to failed missions tedium of San Andreas too.

But in general I just liked GTA IV anyway. Didn't have a problem with the accent being off, and I never really felt bored except maybe the mission where you have to walk up that tower block.

Completed agree - gta4 is a hugely underated game

VegaLA

Installing...1%...not that I'm in any hurry as I'm on late night support tonight. That and the fact that with only 4 of you XB1'ers online NONE of you are playing this. CaB, for shame!

Penfold

Quote from: mobias on November 18, 2014, 05:13:39 PM
There's a few much welcome new interiors to explore plus a peyote mini game where you have to find 17 peyote scattered across the map and each one gives you a different hallucinogenic experience. If you skip to the 1hr.17min mark in this clip  you can see Franklin turn into a crow and you can then fly about the map. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKuuiAS2KL4#t=1h17m8s

I founds one on the grassy beach area on the North coast of the map earlier, I was trying to take animal pictures and heard a pig squeal and kept looking for it but when I found the peyote I turned into a boar and ran into and took over.[nb]knocked a couple of people over then got shot by the police[/nb]

Forgot how annoying Lamar and Stretch are.

VegaLA

What's that I spy on the horizon...is that....could that be....is that a SHITSTORM coming this way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDCd_19ZRII#t=150

NSFW, but it's gotta be fake right?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: VegaLA on November 19, 2014, 12:30:57 AM
Installing...1%...not that I'm in any hurry as I'm on late night support tonight. That and the fact that with only 4 of you XB1'ers online NONE of you are playing this. CaB, for shame!

I got an email from Amazon yesterday telling me there may be a one or two day delay with my receiving my item, even though they emailed me to tell me it was posted on Saturday. I'm royally pissed off, this is the last time I buy a game from Amazon to get it on release day. They're useless, I've had this happen before but I won't be giving them an opportunity to do it again. Fuckers. Watch out once I get online, I've got some serious rage to get rid of.

mobias

Quote from: Penfold on November 19, 2014, 01:08:23 AM
I founds one on the grassy beach area on the North coast of the map earlier, I was trying to take animal pictures and heard a pig squeal and kept looking for it but when I found the peyote I turned into a boar and ran into and took over.[nb]knocked a couple of people over then got shot by the police[/nb]

Apparently the Peyote minigame gets weirder and weirder the more you collect. Can't wait to find it all.

Being a mountain lion in the city looks ace! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ7sGnXd9X8#t=48

Quote from: VegaLA on November 19, 2014, 03:28:01 AM
What's that I spy on the horizon...is that....could that be....is that a SHITSTORM coming this way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDCd_19ZRII#t=150

NSFW, but it's gotta be fake right?

Thats real but it was in the last version too, just not  quite like that.

VegaLA

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 19, 2014, 07:42:14 AM
I got an email from Amazon yesterday telling me there may be a one or two day delay with my receiving my item, even though they emailed me to tell me it was posted on Saturday. I'm royally pissed off, this is the last time I buy a game from Amazon to get it on release day. They're useless, I've had this happen before but I won't be giving them an opportunity to do it again. Fuckers. Watch out once I get online, I've got some serious rage to get rid of.

Don't rush. Fucking MS cloud had issues last night and I could not transfer any of my 360 progress so I left it alone. I then tried to play dead Rising and got the same error message so at least it's not the issues Rockstar have reported.

Jeez, between this, CoD and Halo TMCC it would be nice to be able to play a game the day you buy it!

wooders1978

You can play the story mode without doing any of that shit

Anyhow - those fucking chodes at amazon royally fucked me over - "get it by 3pm weds 19th November" if you sign up today was the promise - I am now getting it tomorrow instead - chodes
I've now used up my "chiropractor, back innit, can't fuck about with that" excuse for leaving work an hour early today for no good sodding reason - chodey bastards

100 new tracks in this I just found out, and a lot of stuff exclusively made at that. I just heard the MF Doom FlyLo collaboration on Pitchfork.
Think I'd be more than happy to pick it up again on PC when it comes out to just potter about soaking in all the cool shit and listening to the new music. 

Thomas

Onken

Quote from: Bored of Canada on November 21, 2014, 09:56:41 AM
100 new tracks in this I just found out.

It was mentioned in the fourth reply but hey who's counting. A highlight for me was getting in the copper for the first time and hearing
Spoiler alert
Cat's in the Cradle and Silver Spoon
[close]
come on as dawn broke over a misty Los Santos. Beautiful moment. The theme song from
Spoiler alert
GHOST BUSTERS 2
[close]
is also included. Iain Lee must be chuffed.

When I briefly went online and was around the docks delivering a vehicle for Simone a red patch appeared on one of the moored ships. Some mission where you needed to kill 20 enemies. I threw it into first person and it was the biggest real taste of shooting off some power weapons. The controls are bloody ridiculous when theres shots being fired from multiple layers and unforgiving enemies. All my instincts tell me to sprint with R3 and I couldn't figure out why I didn't have a permeant cross hair which delayed being able to return fire.

Another thing with the ship environment was the barristers and railings you're aiming around. It totally fucks up your vision with the depth of field turned on by default. The last game that caused a similar blurred migraine was the Duke Nuken demo. I've taken the decision of switching it off and will report if it does indeed improve your ability to see more effectively.

BeardFaceMan

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to play online. Single player is fine but I struggle to find any jobs online, there seems to be a serious lack of players, dunno about these 30 player jobs, the most people I've had on a job or race so far is 4. And when I do get online it's all laggy and stuttering. And the game crashes a lot on the loading screen. And the loading times are quite horrendous, I don't remember it being this bad on the 360. Once I've finished a job and select free mode it takes around 2 minutes to load free mode. Online play is nowhere near as much fun as I remember it being. The single player game is still ace though, at least that's something.

hoverdonkey

I like how your controller (on PS4) flashes blue and red when you're getting chased by the police. The whole thing is just so beautiful

Jobey

Can't wait for Christmas.

Going to get a big bottle of coke, eat cheese and play this motherhubboard.

mobias

Had a marathon session with this all day yesterday. I'm about half way through the main story missions and just doing things are a leisurely pace. Enjoying it all a bit more this second time round although I'm still finding the story utterly convoluted and its not helped by having to follow Rockstar's insufferable cutscenes.

I unlocked that Imponte Duke O'Death car and I've quickly discovered it to be one of the best new additions to the new gen version. Its pretty much completely indestructible as far as I can see. The only thing that can get you is if the doors get torn off then your character is vulnerable to being shot. Otherwise nothing can get you. You can easily have hour long 5 star wanted car chases if you want.

Here's a couple of car chases I had with it recorded with the in game cinema mode on. Its always been my choice way of conducting GTA car chases and I'm glad to see the feature refined a bit in the new gen version. Its fantastic controlling your car whilst being placed in the police helicopter during a chase.  First time I've mucked about with the PS4's share button. Its a shame the clips don't record the in game music though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52b8MtkYodo&index=1&list=UUJeiqJ2WsPbuxjkEC6o29Gw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxAzBpeTaak&list=UUJeiqJ2WsPbuxjkEC6o29Gw

Jim_MacLaine

This years online Christmas dlc is out. Festive masks and outfits now and apparently snow coming.