Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Facebook thread

Started by Utter Shit, November 07, 2014, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Dr Rock

I'm done with FB. 'Got 300 people you've friended? Remember when we would only show you the posts of twenty of them? Well now we've cut it down to ten, the same ten fucking people forever there is no 'randomize whose posts I see' button, why would you want that?'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 03, 2018, 05:00:17 PM
I'm done with FB. 'Got 300 people you've friended? Remember when we would only show you the posts of twenty of them? Well now we've cut it down to ten, the same ten fucking people forever there is no 'randomize whose posts I see' button, why would you want that?'

Hold my hand and we'll step off the cliff together.

Icehaven

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 03, 2018, 05:00:17 PM

My Mum is always asking me if I saw something her niece/my cousin put on fb, as she (apparently) posts all the time, and my Mum seems to see something from her virtually every day yet I never see any. We've been fb friend for about the same amount of time as she and my Mum, but her posts never appear in my timeline. I just put it down to the time of day I go on fb and that my Mum only has about 10 close family and friends on hers so sees pretty uch everything any of us post, where I have half the people I've ever met in my life (and many I haven't) on mine so I probably miss a lot. But yeah I too tend to see the same people's posts over and over and thought it must just be that they post a lot, but maybe not.

Clownbaby

I hate getting notifications saying "_______ just posted" and it's someone who I barely ever interact with. The algorithms for what is prioritised and what isn't are terrible.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 06, 2018, 07:47:59 PM
I hate getting notifications saying "_______ just posted" and it's someone who I barely ever interact with. The algorithms for what is prioritised and what isn't are terrible.

Yes, there's a woman I friended a year or more ago. Turns out she posts about twenty times a day, music, what she's thinking, it's not bad but it's too much. I don't want to unfriend her but I've done everything - never interacting, making sure I've 'unfollowed' her - to not get 45 notifications about what she's posted whenever I check in. Can't shake em.

And now FB has decided that what I want to see is all the people who have posted videos. Now this isn't the same ten people for a change, but I don't really want to watch a hundred videos that people have posted. It's the bloody algorithms. I'm off. And I really mean it this time Zuckerburg, don't chase me.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What is wrong with Facebook lately? I don't mean morally/ideologically, that's been well documented, but it just doesn't seem to be working properly these days. The 'Most Recent' option shows anything but. New post occasionally pop up, but then disappear again when the page reloads. There are a grand total of four posts on display, and three of them have been there since Monday.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, Facebook is honestly fucking garbage, its sole social function now is for events. The news feed algorithm is awful! I'm in a bunch of different niche groups and the more content you like from them, the more your feed becomes inundated with that group's content. I don't think it's particularly long for this world any more.

JesusAndYourBush

One of many things about it that annoys me is whenever I go to leave a reply to something, I get about 5 words in and the page whangs to the top and it's opened up a box to make a post on my own page.  The box contains the 2nd half of the 5th word, the other 4 and a half words are lost in the ether.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Now it's down to displaying just one post from yesterday. I thought maybe it was a problem with cookies or my script blocker, but tinkering with them didn't fix it. I'll keep my account for now, as Messenger is still useful, but the rest is buggered.

I suppose a silver lining is that now you have to put in some effort to actually keep in touch, rather than just passively reading peoples' updates and clicking the like button.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 06, 2018, 01:24:29 PM
What is wrong with Facebook lately? I don't mean morally/ideologically, that's been well documented, but it just doesn't seem to be working properly these days. The 'Most Recent' option shows anything but. New post occasionally pop up, but then disappear again when the page reloads. There are a grand total of four posts on display, and three of them have been there since Monday.

It was working fine for me when you posted that but today it's been fucking awful, with posts from about four days ago taking up most of the feed, and it's not even like there's new comments on them or anything like that. I've been one of their defenders over the years but if they carry on doing this I'll give up on it.

Bazooka

Add to that regardless of the device I seem to use, the fucking scrolling doesn't work half the time, get down the page and it rubberbands back to the top so I can see the same post I have seen ten times already in the week.

Icehaven

Quote from: Bazooka on September 16, 2018, 11:12:56 AM
Add to that regardless of the device I seem to use, the fucking scrolling doesn't work half the time, get down the page and it rubberbands back to the top so I can see the same post I have seen ten times already in the week.

I thought that was just my crap devices or cackhandedness! Good to  know it isn't just me, but still bloody annoying.

Clownbaby

I hate it when I have a new Facebook friend and I quickly find out they're the type of person who PMs you chain mail every other day. They could be someone who in person seemed cool as but they share this shite, it's such an uncomfortable contrast. Like finding out someone really nicely dressed actually has a squalid, dirty house

canadagoose

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 02, 2018, 11:34:48 AM
I hate it when I have a new Facebook friend and I quickly find out they're the type of person who PMs you chain mail every other day. They could be someone who in person seemed cool as but they share this shite, it's such an uncomfortable contrast. Like finding out someone really nicely dressed actually has a squalid, dirty house
Yeah, that's pretty irritating. Thankfully I've not added any new friends lately that are like this.

One thing I wish people on FB would stop doing is sharing pictures of their disgusting injuries. Nobody needs to see your infected ankle wound or whatever. Just... ugh!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In the list of unwanted life info:

Meal > Kid > Dog > Latest wound

jobotic

Hating people's kids and people who have kids. It's so brilliant.

What's with toasters that pop the toast up too quickly? What's that all about?

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 03, 2018, 08:35:58 PM
Hold my hand and we'll step off the cliff together.

I've already been dashed to bits on the rocks for about a year and I haven't missed it at all. I don't use social media (because I'm so bloody superior/genuinely misanthropic) so probably not a great test case. I post on here a million times a day anyway, I guess this is my Facebook. One for the desolation thread.

Bronzy

Saw this classic on FB today:

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 16, 2018, 05:40:16 PM
I've already been dashed to bits on the rocks for about a year and I haven't missed it at all. I don't use social media (because I'm so bloody superior/genuinely misanthropic) so probably not a great test case. I post on here a million times a day anyway, I guess this is my Facebook. One for the desolation thread.

This is are Facebook.

Ferris W. Bueller, 2018.

RIP

Ferris

BlodwynPig

Can't *poke* anymore because *woke* society

canadagoose

Quote from: Bronzy on October 27, 2018, 09:34:33 AM
Saw this classic on FB today:

Apparently it's an edit of this:

God knows why they bothered. Still, maybe Limmy can tweet it out every Friday instead of the Get Lucky tweet or something.

Bronzy

Quote from: canadagoose on October 27, 2018, 08:22:59 PM
Apparently it's an edit of this:

God knows why they bothered. Still, maybe Limmy can tweet it out every Friday instead of the Get Lucky tweet or something.

Hopefully one of these days the teacher will win...

Small Man Big Horse

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Why does Facebook sometimes try to tag in pages and business as you type message replies or status updates and another time when you try to do it, it won't?

Am I missing something obvious? It feels like it.

Clownbaby

My mam is in a small Noel Fielding fan group and there's this strange woman who obviously has a stalkerish fascination with him, who runs it. She constantly writes long diatribes about how she'll never ever meet him, how much she loves him, and she's constantly putting up screenshots of her letters to him and tweeting him pics of her second-hand ugg boots she's bought or a traced drawing of Winnie The Pooh or whatever, and obsessively reading in between the lines of his every tweet saying "He's communicating to me in code, he watches everything I say. He done an owl picture and I was just posting about an owl, he loves me." Mam's just staying part of the group out of morbid curiosity at this stage. She keeps joining these bloody tiny groups run by people who really have no business running and moderating a Facebook group.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 06, 2018, 02:27:56 PM
My mam is in a small Noel Fielding fan group and there's this strange woman who obviously has a stalkerish fascination with him, who runs it. She constantly writes long diatribes about how she'll never ever meet him, how much she loves him, and she's constantly putting up screenshots of her letters to him and tweeting him pics of her second-hand ugg boots she's bought or a traced drawing of Winnie The Pooh or whatever, and obsessively reading in between the lines of his every tweet saying "He's communicating to me in code, he watches everything I say. He done an owl picture and I was just posting about an owl, he loves me." Mam's just staying part of the group out of morbid curiosity at this stage. She keeps joining these bloody tiny groups run by people who really have no business running and moderating a Facebook group.

Anyone can run a group. Its fucking facebook not a suicide cult

Clownbaby

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 06, 2018, 02:37:08 PM
Anyone can run a group. Its fucking facebook not a suicide cult

I'm not saying they can't? Just talking about how there's these odd little groups/online timelines of a person's nervous breakdown that nosey people like my mam join

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 06, 2018, 02:45:57 PM
I'm not saying they can't?

You said they have no business running groups