Author Topic: Facebook thread  (Read 190071 times)

hermitical

• Silver Member
Re: Facebook thread
« Reply #2190 on: April 20, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »
Facebook has become almost useless to do what I started using it for - to see what my friends were up to. There is so many adverts and the timeline is so fucked up that I miss half the posts I should be getting because they never appear on my feed. Others seem to linger far longer than necessary. It also changes depending on what device I use.

If you ever use a browser then FB Purity is well worth using
F.B. (Fluff Busting) Purity is a Facebook customizing browser extension. It alters your view of Facebook to show only relevant information to you. It lets you remove the annoying and irrelevant stories from your newsfeed such as game and application spam, ads and sponsored stories. It can also hide the boxes you don't want to see on each side of the newsfeed.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #2191 on: April 24, 2019, 06:18:53 AM »
Whatever it is I like that's prompting all these memes of innocent looking cats or people with text saying something like "Feelin kinda cute today, might kill someone/break a few legs/destroy some property idk" I need to get rid as they're driving me insayayayayayayne. I don't even know what idk means.

« Reply #2192 on: June 01, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »
What the fuck is going on?

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #2193 on: June 01, 2019, 12:20:11 PM »
You’re a famous comedy fan

« Reply #2194 on: June 01, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
The friend request is gone now. She obviously thought better of it. In fact she seems to have thought better of her entire Facebook profile; it looks like she's deleted it and started a new one. Been rejected for too many jobs where they check you out on Facebook, perhaps?

H-O-W-L

• Slam in the back with my Primula
« Reply #2195 on: August 18, 2019, 02:48:24 AM »
After years of not "liking" really any pages unless I had to, I finally "liked" the official Labour Party page.

Next day:

Cheers for the pro-tip.

Old arse post but that was a satisfying bit of cathartic anger at cunts.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #2196 on: August 28, 2019, 05:03:34 PM »
I was just thinking about some of the early ways of social media use (so 10-15 years ago) and how quaint, bizarre and downright dangerous some of them seem now.

Adding everyone you've ever known and new people as soon as you meet them, possibly while still relatively unaware just how much information about you this was potentially giving them (although granted not as much as now.

Inviting your entire friend list to your birthday party then having the most random selection of people turn up, including people you hadn't seen or spoken to directly in years (actually, treating a facebook invitation to a party like a real invitation is one too.)

Those bloody copy and paste personality quizzes which just ended up as long lists of facts about you, and no one ever read anyone else's anyway (These might still be a thing for all I know, and it's just that my peer group has grown out of them.)

There's probably loads more I've forgotten. Kind of thing anyone under 25 now would barely believe everyone really did.

Cloud

• Elon who?
« Reply #2197 on: August 28, 2019, 05:29:51 PM »
All of those things still happen.

In other news, Instagram are planning a Facebook competitor called Threads.  Sounds appropriate for the way the world's going. Wonder if it's developed in Sheffield?

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/26/instagram-threads-app/

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #2198 on: August 29, 2019, 10:04:59 PM »
All of those things still happen.

In other news, Instagram are planning a Facebook competitor called Threads.  Sounds appropriate for the way the world's going. Wonder if it's developed in Sheffield?

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/26/instagram-threads-app/

Facebook owns Instagram though.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #2199 on: August 29, 2019, 11:24:50 PM »
Yeah I wondered about that. Guess it's because a lot of the hip young users on Instagram don't have Facebook accounts or do but wouldn't be seen dead on such a broke-ass site?

Cloud

• Elon who?
« Reply #2200 on: August 30, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »
Ooo good points.  Yeah I think the case of wanting to capture the younger generation probably hits the nail on the head.  Facebook is very much seen among young people as "that thing mum and dad use" (that they therefore stay away from or only have a decoy account) but as far as I'm aware they're very active on Instagram.  So it'd make perfect sense for Zuckerberg to want to get his fingers in some younger pies, as it'were

« Reply #2201 on: August 30, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »
Ooo good points.  Yeah I think the case of wanting to capture the younger generation probably hits the nail on the head.  Facebook is very much seen among young people as "that thing mum and dad use" (that they therefore stay away from or only have a decoy account) but as far as I'm aware they're very active on Instagram.  So it'd make perfect sense for Zuckerberg to want to get his fingers in some younger pies, as it'were

Fuck, you've just made me feel very old. When I was first encouraged by a friend to join Facebook, I couldn't as it was only available to people at educational institutions; i.e., I was already too fucking old for it. Now you're telling me the thing I was too old for a decade and a half ago is seen as "that thing mum and dad use". Bloody hell.