Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Facebook thread

Started by Utter Shit, November 07, 2014, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermitical

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 02:38:58 PM
Facebook has become almost useless to do what I started using it for - to see what my friends were up to. There is so many adverts and the timeline is so fucked up that I miss half the posts I should be getting because they never appear on my feed. Others seem to linger far longer than necessary. It also changes depending on what device I use.

If you ever use a browser then FB Purity is well worth using
QuoteF.B. (Fluff Busting) Purity is a Facebook customizing browser extension. It alters your view of Facebook to show only relevant information to you. It lets you remove the annoying and irrelevant stories from your newsfeed such as game and application spam, ads and sponsored stories. It can also hide the boxes you don't want to see on each side of the newsfeed.

Icehaven

Whatever it is I like that's prompting all these memes of innocent looking cats or people with text saying something like "Feelin kinda cute today, might kill someone/break a few legs/destroy some property idk" I need to get rid as they're driving me insayayayayayayne. I don't even know what idk means.

olliebean

What the fuck is going on?

BlodwynPig

You're a famous comedy fan

olliebean

The friend request is gone now. She obviously thought better of it. In fact she seems to have thought better of her entire Facebook profile; it looks like she's deleted it and started a new one. Been rejected for too many jobs where they check you out on Facebook, perhaps?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: MoonDust on April 24, 2017, 02:52:58 PM
After years of not "liking" really any pages unless I had to, I finally "liked" the official Labour Party page.

Next day:

Cheers for the pro-tip.

Old arse post but that was a satisfying bit of cathartic anger at cunts.

Icehaven

I was just thinking about some of the early ways of social media use (so 10-15 years ago) and how quaint, bizarre and downright dangerous some of them seem now.

Adding everyone you've ever known and new people as soon as you meet them, possibly while still relatively unaware just how much information about you this was potentially giving them (although granted not as much as now.

Inviting your entire friend list to your birthday party then having the most random selection of people turn up, including people you hadn't seen or spoken to directly in years (actually, treating a facebook invitation to a party like a real invitation is one too.)

Those bloody copy and paste personality quizzes which just ended up as long lists of facts about you, and no one ever read anyone else's anyway (These might still be a thing for all I know, and it's just that my peer group has grown out of them.)

There's probably loads more I've forgotten. Kind of thing anyone under 25 now would barely believe everyone really did.

Cloud

All of those things still happen.

In other news, Instagram are planning a Facebook competitor called Threads.  Sounds appropriate for the way the world's going. Wonder if it's developed in Sheffield?

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/26/instagram-threads-app/

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Cloud on August 28, 2019, 05:29:51 PM
All of those things still happen.

In other news, Instagram are planning a Facebook competitor called Threads.  Sounds appropriate for the way the world's going. Wonder if it's developed in Sheffield?

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/26/instagram-threads-app/

Facebook owns Instagram though.

imitationleather

Yeah I wondered about that. Guess it's because a lot of the hip young users on Instagram don't have Facebook accounts or do but wouldn't be seen dead on such a broke-ass site?

Cloud

Ooo good points.  Yeah I think the case of wanting to capture the younger generation probably hits the nail on the head.  Facebook is very much seen among young people as "that thing mum and dad use" (that they therefore stay away from or only have a decoy account) but as far as I'm aware they're very active on Instagram.  So it'd make perfect sense for Zuckerberg to want to get his fingers in some younger pies, as it'were

olliebean

Quote from: Cloud on August 30, 2019, 09:03:28 AM
Ooo good points.  Yeah I think the case of wanting to capture the younger generation probably hits the nail on the head.  Facebook is very much seen among young people as "that thing mum and dad use" (that they therefore stay away from or only have a decoy account) but as far as I'm aware they're very active on Instagram.  So it'd make perfect sense for Zuckerberg to want to get his fingers in some younger pies, as it'were

Fuck, you've just made me feel very old. When I was first encouraged by a friend to join Facebook, I couldn't as it was only available to people at educational institutions; i.e., I was already too fucking old for it. Now you're telling me the thing I was too old for a decade and a half ago is seen as "that thing mum and dad use". Bloody hell.

NJ Uncut

can I put this twitter bullshit here

Pseudopath

I'm no bibliologist, but isn't that Easter? Probably should have replaced that crown of thorns with a big yawning birth canal.

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: Pseudopath on December 18, 2019, 09:01:19 PM
a big yawning birth canal.

Exactly! People at work were talking about christmas jumpers today and I said I'd like one with a very detailed depiction of the birth of Christ on it. I dunno I'm just funny like that sometimes.

Sure it's done easily enough too, the internet will print anything onto anything as long as you can pay for it.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pseudopath on December 18, 2019, 09:01:19 PM
[img width=500]https://i.redd.it/723j6utktp121.jpg[img]

I'm no bibliologist, but isn't that Easter? Probably should have replaced that crown of thorns with a big yawning birth canal.
the whole point (haha) of the crown of thorns is that the thorns pointed inwards ffs

Anyway the point (HAHAHA) is the Passion death and resurrection of christ was the whole purpose of the incarnation. And doesnt foreshadowing the torture and death of Christ liven up a Nativity play

Small Man Big Horse

I joined a "Saucy and Risque Seaside Postcards" group as a friend said the comments made often made her laugh, and she wasn't wrong either.

I mean, The Good Old Days? Did this guy actually used to change camera films underneath a woman's skirt? Or is it just a comment about how often many men worked underneath a woman's skirt all day long, no matter what their trade? Either way I'm not convinced it ever happened, but I could of course be wrong.

idunnosomename

I think he just means the good old days when smutty humour like that used to be widely available. You cant say ANYTHING these days or access such stuff even though he has.

Famous Mortimer

He amusingly convinced a woman to let him up her skirt by saying it was the only spot dark enough to expose his film?

beanheadmcginty

Maybe her anus and/or quim secrete photographic developer fluids.

dmillburn

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on December 18, 2019, 10:12:58 PM
Exactly! People at work were talking about christmas jumpers today and I said I'd like one with a very detailed depiction of the birth of Christ on it. I dunno I'm just funny like that sometimes.

I think I've posted this before but this is my friends homemade one from some years back. Sadly his wife accidentally gave it away to Oxfam in error when they moved house.

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: dmillburn on January 21, 2020, 12:56:13 AM
I think I've posted this before but this is my friends homemade one from some years back. Sadly his wife accidentally gave it away to Oxfam in error when they moved house.

Marvellous! Thanks for sharing.

Clownbaby

I've had a big spike in friend requests lately from guys who seem to know a lot of people I know, yet I've never seen them before in my life. The old Facebook messenger wave less than 2 minutes after accepting someone I don't know from meeting/seeing around (on the rare occasion I decide to accept these people) is never not a red flag. Something about it. Yes, it's just a waving little animation that you can use to say hello to your new Facebook friend, I get that, and maybe some genuinely are innocently using it to say ''alright'' but in all my experiences of receiving a Facebook messenger wave, the ''waver'' has been a certain....type of person. They wave and then I see a load of their depressive ''what's the point'' statuses, which of course not a single cunt on their friend list has commented on cause they make a post like this every fucking week and mopey memes about cheating bitches and I think ''here we fucking go''

Messenger waves don't necessarily lead to creepy behaviour but I still can't shake the dread when I get a wave from a new male Facebook friend. Messenger ''wavers'' are never just easy-going, in my experience

BlodwynPig

canadagoose

What is it with Facebook Marketplace sellers? They put things up for sale and then don't respond to your messages at all. You can see they've seen them but then they don't respond.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: canadagoose on February 02, 2020, 01:04:17 AM
What is it with Facebook Marketplace sellers? They put things up for sale and then don't respond to your messages at all. You can see they've seen them but then they don't respond.
Probably because, if it's anything like my experience selling something, they'll have had approximately 200 messages just saying "is this available?" After they respond "yes", about 90% of them never bother following up on it; one person will call them piece of crap for selling it to someone else, and a good dozen will say "it's for my sick nephew / daughter who's in college, will you accept (much less) for it?"

canadagoose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 03, 2020, 06:58:49 PM
Probably because, if it's anything like my experience selling something, they'll have had approximately 200 messages just saying "is this available?" After they respond "yes", about 90% of them never bother following up on it; one person will call them piece of crap for selling it to someone else, and a good dozen will say "it's for my sick nephew / daughter who's in college, will you accept (much less) for it?"

I suppose it does go both ways. If they're not going to respond to anyone, though, you do wonder why they bother.

popcorn

I gave a bed away on Facebook Marketplace once, free to whoever would collect it that day. It triggered ten thousand messages. The best was a woman who called me insisting I deliver it to that day her flat on the other side of Tokyo, as she had a new baby. When I said that was impossible she called me a wicked devil man. :(