Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Facebook thread

Started by Utter Shit, November 07, 2014, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

lazarou

I like the way that implies getting your arm blown off is just something that happens day to day like a bad tackle. Army? Don't think so mate

Thomas

Mr Banlon

Obviously written by someone who has never been in a pub full of drunken squaddies.

BritishHobo

I fucking hate that '99% of you won't' thing. I've seen it on a post about cancer before, as if the majority of the general public are actually pro-cancer.

lazarou

How many footballers you think make 250k a week? Two? Ten? If you averaged it out to anyone who plays in the leagues it'd be garbage money. By that logic we should only compare them against celebrity soldiers or something. How much does Ronaldo earn compared to Jesse The Body Ventura?

I realise I'm just venting to no real end here but arrrgghhh everything about that is bullshit.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 10, 2015, 09:55:56 PM
I fucking hate that '99% of you won't' thing. I've seen it on a post about cancer before, as if the majority of the general public are actually pro-cancer.

Yeah that's the worst.  It's also that kind of "Keep Off The Grass" challenge, combined with a "BE SPECIAL!  BE ONE OF THOSE SPECIAL 1% WHO ARE GOOD!"

And for what?  Who does it help, sharing that shite photo around?  There isn't even a link to a charity or anything, is there?  Pure fucking self-congratulation.  And lazarou also pointed out the obvious ridiculousness of saying "A footballer earns $250k a week".  That's like taking the wife of a billionaire and saying "A housewife has billions of dollars.  A soldier doesn't have that much."  Completely meaningless.  And let's not get into how the money for footballers and soldiers don't come from the same place and aaarrrgh fuckit

QuoteA SOLDIER GETS HIS ARM BLOWN OFF AND CARRIES ON

What?!  This guy's experience of soldiers seems to come solely from RoboCop or something.  They are humans, you know.  And if you want to see an example of a footballer "carrying on" in the face of doom, look no further:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_PLu9KWNK8

SUPPORT ARE FOOTBALERS

chand

Soldiers don't usually 'carry on' if they get their limbs blown off, do they? I'm sure I've heard of injured soldiers leaving the army before. I guess some of them probably carry on immediately after getting injured, but largely because there's a genuine threat of immediate death if they roll about on the floor going "argh, fuck, that hurts".

I'm not sure that paying soldiers £13m a year each is really a feasible solution to the burning problem of footballers being overpaid though, so maybe the solution is to lay IUDs around football pitches and have snipers in the gantry? I dunno, help me out here.

Pit-Pat

I really hate the way it's framed in a "Footballers are overpaid - soldiers are paid less but are worthy of being paid as much", rather than "Footballers are overpaid, most other people are underpaid". Maybe part of the rise of aspirational TV, the lauding of success and the decline of collective bargaining is that people now think they basically aren't worth any more than what they're paid, not unless they've created a multi-million pound business from scratch or happen to be good at singing or acting or kicking a ball.

Hank_Kingsley

Footballers provide hours of entertainment both on and off the pitch. Soldiers reckon Jim Davidson is Britain's best stand-up.

monkfromhavana

But...do you actually go looking for this shit? If any of my "friends" comes out with any of this shit (generally the share this photo crap as opposed to Britain First) I just unfollow them.

hamfist

Quote from: chand on February 11, 2015, 09:21:05 AMmaybe the solution is to lay IUDs around football pitches

Then NOBODY'S getting pregnant. NOBODY.

Quincey

Has people sharing one of those "99% won't share..." images ever changed anything? All it does is allow people to think they've made a difference when they haven't. If people really cared about soliders' pay that much, why not write to the MoD, hold a demonstration outside Parliament or at the very least do regular online campaigning on Twitter and Facebook rather than post one smug picture?

Thursday

Well also, footballers aren't really overpaid considering the ridiculous sums of money Premiership football clubs make. I mean, I'm sure some clubs could be paying a bit more to their ball boys or people on their apprenticeship schemes or whatever. But most of it presumably goes to boardroom members and club owners who don't really have anything to do with why people like Football. I assume for most professional footballers in England, the relative proportion they get isn't actually a huge amount.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: monkfromhavana on February 11, 2015, 11:22:16 AM
But...do you actually go looking for this shit? If any of my "friends" comes out with any of this shit (generally the share this photo crap as opposed to Britain First) I just unfollow them.

But then you have nothing to post here.

lazarou

1) I'm the same age as the bloke who posted it and they definitely said that
2) Has this ever been earnestly said about a Road Runner cartoon?

Paul Calf

Quote from: lazarou on February 11, 2015, 06:06:32 PM

1) I'm the same age as the bloke who posted it and they definitely said that
2) Has this ever been earnestly said about a Road Runner cartoon?

I don't think I could resist the temptation to reply

"Weren't you? What happened?"

BPFHAY

If only we didn't have to take time out of our days to read the words "don't try this at home" we'd probably have remained productive enough to avoid the recession.

chand

Quote from: hamfist on February 11, 2015, 01:00:37 PM
Then NOBODY'S getting pregnant. NOBODY.

Ohhh, right. Now I see why I was sacked from my job as a gynaecologist.

chand

Quote from: lazarou on February 11, 2015, 06:06:32 PM1) I'm the same age as the bloke who posted it and they definitely said that

It was definitely a phrase I heard as a kid in the 80s.

Imagine thinking that occasionally saying a five-word phrase in the hope of preventing injury to a small child was a really bad thing.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: BPFHAY on February 11, 2015, 06:56:23 PM
If only we didn't have to take time out of our days to read the words "don't try this at home" we'd probably have remained productive enough to avoid the recession.

Political Correctness and Health & Safety cost the UK economy £75m per year, UKIP argues.

"We measured the extra miliseconds it takes to say 'black person' rather than 'negro' (or similar) and calculated that if each of those seconds was spent on productivity instead, the British economy would be 0.026% more productive, c.£75m."

monkfromhavana

Quincey

Facebook criticised for closing a page set up by a ten year old who raised £34k for charity.

On the one hand it's clearly stated no one under 13 can set up a page, on the other hand they could have just transferred it to the mother, or at the very least let them save the content on the page before it was removed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11407804/Mean-hearted-Facebook-shuts-down-violin-girls-30k-charity-page.html

BritishHobo

I like when people try to apply emotion and maliciousness to automated actions. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way the guidelines on the website are set up, it means nothing beyond an unfortunate coincidence. At one point in that article the mother is quoted as saying "This has only made us stronger, and she isn't going to stop." What? Of course she's not going to stop, why would she? Why would anybody think she was? The implication seems to be that the big evil Facebook robot wanted to stand in the way of her success, which is a fucking nanners thing to say.

Beagle 2

BritishHobo

Me neither. We should tell people. Does anybody know of a quick and easy format with which to do that?

chand

What good will it do? History has been whitewashed so nobody can ever know that Bill Gates is depopulating the world.

Pit-Pat

You'd think that if Bill Gates was depopulating the world he'd be doing a better job of it.

EDIT: The other stuff all makes sense obviously

chand

It's essentially all based on some stuff Gates once said about how reducing disease in third world countries raises their living standards, and higher living standards mean, usually, people have fewer children. What he meant was that vaccines can help children in African and Indian villages grow to be adults, but what anti-vaccine folks heard was "Bill Gates thinks there are too many people and we need to literally murder them with poisoned vaccines in order to depopulate the earth down to a core population about 500 million people". Which is an interesting take I guess. I like all the YouTube videos where people seem to think that a) Bill Gates vowed to murder billions of children in a TED talk and b) that his stated views in the TED talk were a secret that needed to be 'EXPOSED'.