Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The PlayStation®4 Thread (PS4™)

Started by Aki Kaurismäki, November 08, 2014, 06:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Where's the best place to get a PS4 in the UK at the minute? I'm assuming one of the supermarkets, but maybe the games stores are offering some decent deals? Not too fussed about bundled games, as I'll be getting Dragon Age: Inquisition to play on it. Would quite like The Last of Us, though.

Also, are there any 'must-have' accessories? Like the controllers - do they need rechargeable battery packs, like the Xbox ones?

Consignia

Probably worth checking redhotdeals, they usually will find some decent places if there any going cheap.

You shouldn't need any accessories, the controllers already have rechargeable batteries in them, and charge via USB.

Mister Six

Ta! What's the address for Red Hot Deals? Redhotdeals.com and .co.uk both go nowhere, and Google isn't helping.

Consignia

Mister Six

Thanks! I'd give you some karma now, but I, uh, ran out. :(

Van Dammage

I'll hopefully be getting this soon and my name better not be taken!. I'll probably be playing Cod and GTA V. And Fifa if i'm arsed getting it.

Junglist

So Driveclub now looks a bit pretty:

Bought it today, now its 'fixed'. Its the spiritual successor to the Project Gotham Racing games. Handles beautifully, looks astonishing. Its the first next-gen title to make my jaw crack the floor. Look at how the rain moves on the windscreen:

How Evo have got this running so well, looking so stunning, well kudos to them (ignoring the fact its been broke as fuck for a few months).

biggytitbo

Penfold

Quote from: Onken on November 28, 2014, 08:16:53 PM

Mubi.com confirmed their PS4 app is launching in time for Christmas.

A new arthouse or indie film every day with a choice of 30 at any one time.

£2.99 a month or £23 a year if you pay upfront. You can also watch online and using the iOS & Android.

I've been a member since 2010.

https://mubi.com/tell-a-friend/global/vvyifyv [nb]If 9 people sign up I get a free t-shirt[/nb]

It's out today with some other video apps.

Looks to be PS Plus discounts on subscriptions.

Hollow

Driveclub is a very good driving game...I don't know what it's supposed problems were...but I've had it for a few days and it runs perfectly, was it mainly a multiplayer problem? or were there performance issues too?

The first game to make me think...'that's next gen.'...even though it's actually current gen anway...

Onken

The 20th Anniversary Edition PS4 competition has been a fucking shambles. Another Sony PR disaster yet again. The majority of winners have been web developers able to cheat the feeble security. A couple of people posted picturing bragging how they were able to get 3-4 of them so far.

Mister Six

Right, so I ordered my PS4 - 350 quid from Game, with free delivery and four games[nb]GTA V, Driveclub, COD: Future Warfare or whatever, and a digital download of The Last of Us; I'll trade in Driveclub and COD and pick up something else, maybe Shadows of Mordor, or the updated version of Sleeping Dogs.[/nb] - and it'll be arriving tomorrow. One thing I'm not sure about, though, is exactly how I should register for the PSN.

From what I gather, your PSN login is tied to a specific country, and unlike with Microsoft accounts, you can't change to a different country once it's established; you need to make a new account (which means new trophies, possibly not being able to access DLC from the other account, etc). I'm currently in the UK but in a couple of weeks I'll be back at home in China, where I'll remain for at least the next couple of years. I don't have a credit or debit card in China, because if you're not Chinese it's an absolute bastard to try and get one.

So my ideal situation here would be to register a UK PSN account tied to my UK card, and then continue to use my UK card/account once I'm back in China. Does anyone know if that will work? Will it continue to access the UK PSN store, or will it try to log in to the Chinese one and then throw a strop because my account and info are all tied to the UK?

Consignia

Nah, you should be alright with just a UK account. Sony seem to OK with it. I've got UK, US, Japanese and Hong Kong PSN accounts all on the my UK PS3 and 4, to get exclusive games off each. They only issue would be if you bought local games in China, if you want get DLC, you must buy it from the correct account. But you could still buy UK games from the UK PSN with your UK card anywhere in the world. Videos may be a different matter. I've even got Japanese games on my Vita, and I've only got a UK account set up on that, but it still downloads all the updates, etc.

Mister Six

Ta! How do you register so many accounts? Don't you need Japanese, HK etc banking info to do all that?

Consignia

You don't need a credit card for a creating a PSN account, only a living address. For the Japanese and Hong Kong ones I don't think it even verified the address, so you can put any old shit in. The US one definitely required one, but for both my US and Japanese accounts I used hotel addresses I'd previously stayed at. I'm not sure how vigrous they are with these, but you could easily do something if you needed to. I've paid for games off each store by buying pre-paid PSN cards online. Not particularly fantastic value for money, but not hard to do either.

Mister Six

Ta, Consignia. Much appreciated.

So I've finally entered the current generation, snapping up the Game bundle with GTA V, COD: Advanced Warfare (2?), Driveclub and The Last of Us digital download. Immediately traded in COD and Driveclub for a free copy of Sleeping Dogs, and picked up a copy of Shadow of Mordor while I was at it.

Only given GTA V a proper swing of the bat so far, and... well, it's just GTA V with more grass and better smog effects, isn't it? It was never going to be anything else really, I suppose. New PS controller is surprisingly comfortable, though I've found myself oversteering on more than one occasion. I don't know whether that's because I'm not used to the calibration settings of the joysticks, or whether the 360's positioning is more conducive to controlled thumb movements.

Ah well. Getting Dragon Age: Inquisition tomorrow, which is bloody thrilling. Can't wait!

Ooh, one more question - is the PSN Plus account worth it? Seems like it might be, for the 'free' games alone. Do you get to keep those games once your PSN Plus account expires? Can you re-download them if you delete them off your PS4? Just wondering...

Onken

The PS+ is worth it if you only own the one system but if you have all three then its an absolute steel.

I saw a figure of £1,400 worth of content was offered in the last 12 months alone . Access to the games does expire after your membership runs out and returns once reactivated. You can download them how many times as you want. What I do is just purchase them using the web store for when I'm ready to play. The service inspired me to get a Vita last week. Also save a fiver getting it from here.

http://www.cdkeys.com/playstation-network-psn/playstation-plus/playstation-plus-365-day-subscription

I wanted a couple more games, a spare controller and ended up buying a second PS4 console from Argos yesterday.

Drive Club is actually really good and I'm more of an arcade racer. It would be cool if we set our own club up.

The gif's above look spectacular. All the events I've encountered have been sunny days so far.

Mister Six

Quote from: Onken on December 24, 2014, 11:30:52 AMAccess to the games does expire after your membership runs out and returns once reactivated.

Is that access as in 'ability to download and re-download', or access as in 'ability to play what you've already downloaded even though it's on your hard disk'?

Consignia

Quote from: Mister Six on December 24, 2014, 10:28:13 AM
Ooh, one more question - is the PSN Plus account worth it? Seems like it might be, for the 'free' games alone. Do you get to keep those games once your PSN Plus account expires? Can you re-download them if you delete them off your PS4? Just wondering...

If you just have a PS4, I'm not so sure it's worth it. The PS4 games thus far have been a bit lacklustre, and the good ones have all been ones you could get for for mere pennies off Steam and run on a low spec computer. You do need it to play multiplayer online on the PS4, though, if that's something you like to do.

Your instant collection games only last the duration of your membership, but you can re-download if you delete them whilst you hold the membership. Not that you are likely to do that much with a 500GB hard drive.

It's not bad value, just have a look at the games they've released before and see if they tickle your fancy. They are likely to follow a similar pattern in the future. If you have a PS3, then it's a no-brainer, and if you have more than one of a PS3,4 or Vita, then again it's value increases. If you can spare the cash for the price of a single game, I'd say give it a year's subscription, and if it feels like it's paid for it self, keep it up.

EDIT:
Quote from: Mister Six on December 24, 2014, 11:52:08 AM
Is that access as in 'ability to download and re-download', or access as in 'ability to play what you've already downloaded even though it's on your hard disk'?

Latter, I'm afraid. The games have digital rights assigned to them that expire after your subscription lapses. They can stay on your hard drive, but you can only renew they ability to play them after you re-subscribe.

Junglist

Quote from: Onken on December 24, 2014, 11:30:52 AM
Drive Club is actually really good and I'm more of an arcade racer. It would be cool if we set our own club up.

The gif's above look spectacular. All the events I've encountered have been sunny days so far.

You don't get weather in Tour mode at the moment, you need to create your own race/time trial. Its also used online, and in an upcoming Tour mode DLC.

Mister Six

Quote from: Consignia on December 24, 2014, 11:57:17 AM
Latter, I'm afraid. The games have digital rights assigned to them that expire after your subscription lapses. They can stay on your hard drive, but you can only renew they ability to play them after you re-subscribe.

Bah! Cheers for that. I'm going to use my Last of Us digital download to see how the PSN holds up with my shit Chinese wifi once I'm back in Beijing. If it's not unbearable, I may give it a go - but I really don't tend to play many online multiplayer games, at the minute at least.

That said, if anyone wants to add me on the off-chance, my PSN ID is Individual99991.

Onken

I highly recommend LittleBigPlanet 3 from the short time I've had with it today. The new developers in charge have taken the series a step forward from Media Molecules origins. It looks, sounds and controls wonderfully. Currently £25 on Amazon and was the most popular game when I stood inline for 45 minutes observing peoples purchases in Argos.

mobias

So PSN and Xbox live have both been hacked today. Pretty annoying. I'm without  the BBCi player and there's bugger all on tv.

Onken

Yeah Lizard Squad, what a bunch of sad twats spoiling Christmas for all the kids.

The iPlayer app is working for me or hadn't you installed it previously?

mobias

I hadn't got round to installing it on the PS4 unfortunately. I've brought my PS4 up to my folks for the Xmas break. Hoping they get things resolved. I have partial access to the PSN but still can't do certain things. Annoying hacking twats.

Mister Six

Stopping me from importing my save game data for Dragon Age: Inquisition, meaning that I can't even start playing the present I was most excited about. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hope someone tracks the fuckers down and breaks their legs. Seriously.

Hollow

Fucking bumboy hacksods...I just got a really good score on Resogun...where am I on the leaderboards?...who knows.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Hollow on December 26, 2014, 01:28:31 PM
Fucking bumboy hacksods...I just got a really good score on Resogun...where am I on the leaderboards?...who knows.

Worst Christmas ever?

Onken

Turn those frowns upside down 2015 is looking particularly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBFpiv3uNA4

PlayStation Access consistency produce videos worth watching with a nice cast of personalities.

I've gone for Wolfenstein Something Edition for £16 from Game.

Only other FPS I own has been Killzone. No longer bother with the others.