Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The PlayStation®4 Thread (PS4™)

Started by Aki Kaurismäki, November 08, 2014, 06:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

Infamous First Light coming to PS+ in January and rumours are Knack and Killzone in Feb/March.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Onken on December 30, 2014, 06:15:40 PM
Infamous First Light coming to PS+ in January and rumours are Knack and Killzone in Feb/March.

More shite I'll download and play once then.

Consignia

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on December 30, 2014, 08:51:56 PM
More shite I'll download and play once then.

Yeah, that my experience mostly. But I've found there's been at least 3 or 4 games a year I've got through PS+ which I've really got into, which justifies the price of entry.

Hollow

I have to say I don't agree with the model that Sony uses for playstation plus...now that you need ps+ for online gaming (ps4) I think it would be better to switch to the xbox model of free games...ie...when the xbox live runs out the games still work.

To know that the games aren't really yours isn't good imo...it makes me want to pay for the ones I like so I don't get that...and I don't generally want to play the ones I don't like so...

Consignia

I don't know, haven't the Xbox games been rather crappy old ones? And only on the 360? Sony is supporting 3 platforms with one subscription charge, and they mostly recent and usually quite good. I bet they had to go with a subscription model, or the actual publishers wouldn't provide them for the service.

Hollow

I suppose on the whole yes...older and crappier than the PS+ ones anyway.

Aren't they doing it on the xb1 then? I wouldn't know...I've maybe foolishly abandoned Microsoft this gen...I've never felt comfortable supporting such a shoddy company.

Mister Six

I don't think it's foolish to drop Microsoft on this go-around at all. They've basically done what Sony did with the PS3 and assume that they have a slavishly devoted audience who'll put up with any old shit ideas, no matter how stupid. The next gen after this one will be interesting, assuming both companies learn from their experiences and put their best feet forward... though it'd be funny if Sony half-arsed it again and they basically kept taking it in turns to slump into hubris.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Consignia on December 30, 2014, 08:59:20 PM
Yeah, that my experience mostly. But I've found there's been at least 3 or 4 games a year I've got through PS+ which I've really got into, which justifies the price of entry.

It's been mainly the indie games for me. I've probably played Fez and Spelunky the most out of all the PS+ games. Not exactly what I bought a PS4 for, but saying that Fez does look exquisite in 1080p.

Onken

It will take awhile for the PS4's PS+ games to be consistently high quality. Theres just a shortage of premium games they can give away until the back catalogue builds up. The triple AAA games we are starting to see alongside the free indies have all been launch titles. I expect AC Black Flag, NFS Rivals, Battlefield 4 and Lego Marvel will make up the next few months and I can't be hold that against them.

Junglist

I'm enjoying PS+. You get 2/3 games a month, which I'd never buy anyway, even if they are ones I won't play again, they're free and one day I may give them a proper chane, maybe a few hours and grow to like them. There's a limited amount of larger titles to choose from, and they're starting to drip feed now. Vita and PS3 get some fantastic free games because they have far larger catalogues of titles to choose from. There are added deals for PS+ users, which alright most of them time may be an extra fiver or so off, but if you use a few of those deals through the year you're saving cash.

£35/40 a year isn't half bad really, its roughly three whole pounds a month. I've had PS+ for three months, I've gotten Spelunky from it, a fantastic game I've just started playing but never would've bothered buying before and its justified the tenner I've spent being a member so far.

Are people expecting stuff like Shadow of Mordor/Alien Isolation etc already?

DenzilHolles

Was delighted to get one of these just before Xmas for £325 with Alien, The Evil Within and a physical copy of The Last Of Us from www.shopto.net - that package is now £360 which is still not a bad price  - keep an eye on their ebay store, as that's where I got mine at the lower price from ( it had a 'buy it now' option for £325 ) . Alien + Evil Within both brilliantly terrifying so far, and Last of Us is next on my list to play. Also been enjoying Advanced Warfare on multiplayer.

Jerzy Bondov

Hey I got that Assassin's Creed Unity for Christmas and put on a brave face because I heard it was shit. Well it's not. It's good. Best one for ages. People don't know anything about computer games any more, fucking idiots. 'Ohhhh the frame rate' get to fuck.

Hollow

Just posting this to tell you that Resogun is the best game on PSN by a mile...everyone should get it...like Stardust before it this will still be being played as the PSV is making it's appearance.

I keep thinking maybe I should have got a WIIU cause of y'know...fun?...but then I think no...cause then you wouldn't have Resogun...that's how good it is...better than Mario.

Quote from: Aki Kaurismäki on November 08, 2014, 06:09:40 PM

Updated the table in the first post.

Viero_Berlotti and Hallow, I need your PSN ID's.

Anyone else I'm missing.

Hollow

You've got me down twice now.

It's still StoicVampirePig.

mobias

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 31, 2014, 03:22:20 PM
Hey I got that Assassin's Creed Unity for Christmas and put on a brave face because I heard it was shit. Well it's not. It's good. Best one for ages. People don't know anything about computer games any more, fucking idiots. 'Ohhhh the frame rate' get to fuck.

There were some pretty major and inexcusable technical flaws in it which I presume have been patched now. I might try and pick it up second hand.

Onken

I've seen AC Unity for around £20 new in the last week. Videogamer.com gave it strong praise.

It's a mystery to me how some games are marked down for bugs while others are harshly punished. Little Big Planet 3 gets a 6.8 on IGN bringing it's Metacritic right down for problems that were fixed with a day one patch.

Them being the most mainstream gaming outlet has no doubt unfairly harmed sales.

Penfold

Looks like my account has been suspended.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

I've not had contact from them explaining why, so it looks like a day of trying to get through to customer service is in order for me tomorrow.

Mister Six

I've had trouble connecting to the PSN, but assumed it was because of the shitty Chinese internet. How do you know you've been suspended? Did you get an error message explicitly saying so?

Penfold

I got a message saying my account is either banned or temporarily suspended.

I finally got a level 30 Destiny character, maybe they knew.

Obel

Quote from: Hollow on January 03, 2015, 11:55:11 PM
Just posting this to tell you that Resogun is the best game on PSN by a mile...everyone should get it...like Stardust before it this will still be being played as the PSV is making it's appearance.

I keep thinking maybe I should have got a WIIU cause of y'know...fun?...but then I think no...cause then you wouldn't have Resogun...that's how good it is...better than Mario.

I bought Resogun on the strength of this post and boy am I not disappointed! This is like how I felt about Geometry Wars Retro Evolved when the 360 came out. THIS to me is good graphics, it pisses over your Far Cry's and GTAV's. It looks perfect and plays gloriously.

Hollow

Quote from: Obel on January 05, 2015, 11:55:48 AM
I bought Resogun on the strength of this post and boy am I not disappointed! This is like how I felt about Geometry Wars Retro Evolved when the 360 came out. THIS to me is good graphics, it pisses over your Far Cry's and GTAV's. It looks perfect and plays gloriously.

Nice one.

I dunno...the way the 'popcorn' enemies just shatter into a shower of voxels....will it ever get old?

There will be a new Stardust soon...that will also be awesome.

madhair60

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 31, 2014, 03:22:20 PM

Well, yeah, of course it is.  And yes, you're spot on with that.

"But is it 1080p/60fps?"  get inside of a bin.

Onken

The PS Now subscription launches in the US next week. I'd be interested to test it out when it rolls out here. Approx £13.12 a month and £29.54 for three months for a huge library of games and backwards compatibility would be worth it if your internet connection holds up.

Some facts delivered at CES. PS4 has exceeded 18.5M sold through to consumers as of now. Thats a quarter of the PS3 install in just over one year. 81.8 million games and 10.9M PS+ subscribers. Outpacing PS2 and close to rivalling the Wii.

Which is all very odd considering there's not a single killer app on the system, in my experience.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on January 06, 2015, 12:02:10 PM
Which is all very odd considering there's not a single killer app on the system, in my experience.

Binding of Isaac's on there.

Anyway, fuck all of everything, Bloodbourne is out soon.

Not one exclusive reason to buy the console, yet.

Having devoured the Souls series and revisited and finally completed Demon's recently, I don't care for how Bloodborne looks and if it's shit, I won't mind too much. These games can be replayed again and again, in a different way.

I don't just mean the uniform gothic London vibe, I mean - what I perceive as - the limited moveset and playstyle dictated by the damage regen mechanic and the lack of shield/armour. If you want to go all-out in the Souls games, go a two-handed DEX build and roll for it. Forcing you to play one way to suit a gimmicky-sounding mechanic concerns me.

It also looks like magic/projectiles have been squeezed into a 'gun = stagger' mechanic. Maybe there have been loads of updates I've missed out on but this looks like one particular strand of a Souls playstyle made into a whole game. No bad thing in itself but I don't see how it's going to have the lifespan.

BUMMER DUDE

Van Dammage

EricBantona86

Playing Fifa and Gta atm.

Hollow

I still maintain that Resogun is a damn fine exclusive PS title...if you have the skill to probe it's depths...it will last you a lifetime.

Forget the valiant cutdown PS3 effort...PS4 version is graphical poetry married to deep classic gameplay.

Obel

I agree, but I think it's the kind of game that only appeals to certain people.

BTW Hollow I'm coming for your high scores mate.