Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interpol - Antics

Started by The Man With Brass Eyes, September 07, 2004, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Due out this month sometime right?  Edit: yes, 27th on these shores.

Has anyone had the chance to hear a "preview copy"?

Any good?  I really liked Turn on the Bright Lights.  A really great album especially after a few listens.  Obstacle #1 was caned at our local night club but there's so many grand tracks on there.

also, here's a list of the tours

yeah i've been listening to it since it was leaked and i'm thoroughly in love with it. I shall be buying myself a shiny new copy when its released.

Take you on a cruise is my favourite track I think. The album has a really unique feel; a bit retro, a bit futuristic, a bit romantic, a bit danceable.

I fucking love Interpol!

splattermac

hello, I'm the ghost of Christmas past and I say woooooo the neeeewwww album is rub...rubbisher that their debut.

rattle rattle itssssss pannnnntttsssss

it's those long pants made of flannel with the button up bum flap, itssssss loooonnngggg joooohhhhnnnssss

Turn on the bright lights however is excellent journey music, stick it on in the car or out and about on the earmuffs, really very good.

Not only am I disappointed in the new album but also the fact their newly announced tour doesn't include the UK.

QuoteMatador has scheduled a September 13th release for the first single off Antics, which, as we previously reported, will be "Slow Hands". The B-sides of the single will consist of two remixes-- one by the prolific Dan The Automator (aka present Gorillaz member and erstwhile DJ behind Kool Keith's infamous Dr. Octagon LP), and the other by Spoon frontman Britt Daniel. Which is a crazy choice, because he's not really a remix dude.

so I think that's 1 for and 1 against so far this thread, it's neck and neck

Little Tommy Titter

I've heard a couple of bits from Antics, and it appears to be just as good as Turn On..... which was splendid, they remind me a little of Echo & The Bunnymen (for some reason).

How would people challenge the criticism that the (first) Interpol album is bland/boring/depressing?

I can understand such comments, it's like Radiohead of late in ways.

I would argue that there's real variety in those songs.  interesting.  but it might require more than a few listens to "get into it".

Capt.Midnight

Aren't there two versions of Obstacle1? They/their record company made it a bit 'poppier' than the original (probably a radio edit/mix) and it isn't half as good. Saw them live one or two years ago (can't remember) and was very impressed with the bassists fret-wankery skills and red tie.

Quote from: "Capt.Midnight"red tie.

oh yeah, the guitarist is legendary.

Antics was officially out yesterday.

Did anyone buy it?

One thing is the cover is exceptionally dull.

Peking O

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"One thing is the cover is exceptionally dull.

It matches the music. How this tepid band managed to register more than a derisory sigh from the great unwashed is something future pop historians may ponder.

Quote from: "Peking O"It matches the music. How this tepid band managed to register more than a derisory sigh from the great unwashed is something future pop historians may ponder.

then again some people might just like them.

it's not an especially good argument I know.

steevbishop

(I was going to start a thread about this if I wasn't already beaten to it)

Glad to see there are some Turn On The Bright Lights fans. It is a fantastic album; one that I'm never bored of and gets me tapping, humming and generally happy about good music. Yes, I get excited by 'depressing' music, what a nutjob I must be. There's more in melancholy.
In fact it was the first album I played in my new car (CD PLAYER WOOOOO!), and certainly does make top journey music, splattermac.

Anyways, I've been waiting anxiously to hear the new material. I caught Slow Hands on 6music a couple of weeks ago, loved it and felt very positive about the forthcoming album.

So, it's out today and I take a listen to the previews on iTunes Music Store.

Oh dear...
This is based on listening to 30sec clips of each songs only once but something wasn't right. I think this is a good example of how the production of an album can make a huge difference. The production on Antics is far cleaner and drier than the debut album and it makes all the difference to their sound. A good part of why I love Turn On... is the sometimes rugged and reverb heavy approach to the production which helps widen the layers into an encompassing soundscape. (Oh shit, did that ever sound straight out of a bad NME review?) The charm in the production, and therefore its reflection on the album and the band really shaped my love for the album. It feels like its being performed live in a cosy NY venue just for me.
Antics on first listen sounds like its taken the edge off the performances and the drier production feels very clinical. While the more energetic numbers (like Slow Hands) still work because of their energy, the slower tracks like the opening one, feel cold and lacking.

So, at first listen I'm feeling disappointed. I think I'll be going back to iTMS a few times over the next week or so to listen again and see if I can't find a little more love for the album, because I desperately want to.

Robot Devil

I think you will, I had to listen to Antics a few times to "get it" (it was the same with TOTBL), but now, it's probably my album of the year (so far). Either Not Even Jail, A Time to be So Small or Public Pervert is the best on the album, with Not Even Jail I think being my favourite.

splattermac

ahem, you can listen to the *new* album here via flash streaming, all of it.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4503

I'll give it another listen and if nothing steps forward then it's b1n for them and back to the bright lights.

steevbishop

Quote from: "splattermac"ahem, you can listen to the *new* album here via flash streaming, all of it.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4503

I'll give it another listen and if nothing steps forward then it's b1n for them and back to the bright lights.

Top linky there, and a useful site too. It's a shame the web isn't trusted more to deliver a service like that. Listening posts were the only way I'd be able to confidently listen to new music (specifically bands I'd heard little of) and make my own opinion of them and decide to buy if they kicked enough ass. Online portals like this are the natural extension. I'll be bookmarking this for sure.

As for Interpol's Antics...
I'm glad I've given it a more thorough listen as the songs themselves do shine through for the most part. Turn On... was outstanding from beginning to end, while this has a couple of unfortunate ebbs. I'm still not sure about the treatment on some of the tracks but I'm happier with the album as a whole than I was earlier on today. I got tapping. I'm still not gagging to splash my cash yet though.

I guess I'm looking at another case of the trials of the second album. Not that I think Interpol are having that 'difficult second album' that certain commentators seems to think all bands suffer, but there is always more to lose on a second album than a first and I think that's why the production has gone the way it has for them, and to be honest for many bands. With the possibilty of being popular than originally imagined there's a greater gamble for the label in staying true to the band without tweaking their sound and/or image in order to get interest outside the core fanbase. No matter how subtle.
Maybe I'm the kind of person that loves the energy and uncertainty that's often captured in debut albums. I was thinking the same thing about Doves. While both their studio albums are fantastic, I have a bias toward Lost Souls purely becuase it has a slightly dirtier production and just feels more raw and unique.

Hypnotoad.

oooh, I like it

I do sometimes get turned off by Interpols sometimes over simplistic guitar riffs, lots of repetitive stuff, but its very melodic in places

The first 4 tunes on Bright Lights were brilliant, on first listen Antics sounds excellent, but will take a few more listens

Antics is a real grower. I'm glad people aren't giving up on it easily. I really can't wank on for long enough about how good this album is.

Bonus picture of Carlos being excellent with his bass:

Quote from: "9"Bonus picture of Carlos being excellent with his bass

that's the other thing about this band.
They look fantastic.  Highly affected, in a way - not like the usual bands of late like the Strokes and co... they look really original.

I guess they "hark back" to styles of the past, just as most "affected" bands do.

I just think they look the most interesting out the bunch.

I wish I could find this picture of them in a music magazine this month.  might've been the NME.

Apart from the most dullest album cover ever, Antics is fab.
Much of the same as Bright Lights - you'll feel right at home when you stick the new one on.

steevbishop

Thanks Robot Devil, TMWBE and especially splattermac. I've given it a couple more listens and I'm ready to welcome it into my open arms.

I'm even buying a physical copy from Play as opposed to forking out less for a metaphysical copy from iTunes!

If you haven't already do check a very cool streaming video from The Antics website by clicking on The Band > The Videos and watching the KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic video. Two great live sessions sandwiching an above average radio interview.

I am mildly pissed that I bought Antics into work to MP3 yesterday. and I took it home again without ripping it.  I even did a CD-CD copy of it.
I'm having to listen to Bright Lights now as somesort of compensation for my stupidity.