Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

OverWatch, Blizzards next game

Started by VegaLA, November 10, 2014, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Bhazor on June 07, 2016, 01:21:58 PM
Oh and turrets are bullshit, far too acurate at long range especially on flying heroes. In all it definitely feels like there needs to be some balance updates. Having direct hits from Pharah's rockets only taking like 30% of a fucking snipers health is just ridiculous. Meanwhile soldier and Mcree can just melt anyone in a heartbeat.

Totally agree about turrets. I've seen people place turrets on the lift at the back of the first point in Hollywood time and again. If the defenders have a Reinhardt and a Bastion it just becomes impossible to get in - Pharah otherwise being the best counter in those circumstances.

I also agree that Soldier 76 is too strong/easy. I very rarely play as him because he's one of the least interesting characters, but the friends I play with have far higher average elimination rates than I do, and they very frequently play as him.

I really like Winston but I wish his weapon wasn't quite so shit.

lazarou

Balance tweaks are incoming. Confirmed so far is McCree getting some kind of serious nerf and D.Va getting buffed. I'm still relatively low-level so I haven't see more than a handful of good McCrees, but apparently at higher level play he's all over the place, with competitive teams often running two of them side-by-side. In the hands of a good player, the flashbang-to-fan (with an optional roll to a second fan if you miss) can kill literally anything.

Haven't seen that many 76s (or not much more than the typical 1 a side), but people are definitely getting a lot better taking advantage of his aimbot ult. It's one of those that doesn't seem like much at first, but once you're used to it it can chew up most of a team. It's especially bad against squishy but super-mobile units like Tracers and Pharahs. Conversely, once you get up a few levels D.Va's more spectacular ult becomes much less effective, as by that point everyone's learned that blast range isn't a factor and you just need to get out of line of sight, which is much less of a problem with the generous, obvious countdown on it. It's still handy for grabbing some breathing room on an objective, but it's not the smart bomb it used to be for me.

I do appreciate it when teams actually think things through and massacre you in new and exciting ways. I played a game recently attacking against a team of colour-coded Symmetras and they just took us apart. Turrets everywhere in every unlikely nook and cranny you could think of. Bastards.

Bhazor

Coming off of my Dota obsession my favourite aspect is how short each game is and how the balance can flip 180 at any moment. In Dota the average game is 40 minutes and its usually clear who will win by the 25 minute mark. In Overwatch there is tension all the way to the final second with everyone throwing in for that last hurrah of overtime. Oftentimes I die during that last big punch up and during the kill cam the notification comes up and my mouth goes dry and I don't know if it will be a win or a loss. That is brilliant. Meanwhile the games are short enough that there isn't enough time to get properly vindictive at your team mates for that last fuck up. Unlike say Dota 2 where after an hour I am alt tabbing out to google effective gypsy curses and blood magic to throw at the cunts on my team.

That said the downtime between matches in Overwatch feels really excessive. I mean you can't do anything about match making time but a full minute for team selection, then a full minute of "Ready your defences" [nb]which for the attackers means just seeing how much crap you can blow up in your ship or else playing the futurama intro on the bells[/nb], then after you have 30 seconds voting and results followed by a loading screen. So when a game takes like 6 minutes on average you then spend 3 minutes waiting after matchmaking. It just does not need both the team setup and the one minute prep time. Especially when you're expected to be changing heroes during the match.

Almost have enough close friends consistently playing this to get closed 6v6 matches.
It's been a long time since I got into a multiplayer shooter, but this has been fun. The nice short games are really what sell it for me, to be honest.

I miss Vanilla TF2 when it first came out. But this is also good for its own merits and much deeper, albeit more complicated.

Bhazor

Fucking love the current brawl "All Pharah all the time with no turrets or cunt soldiers in sight".  It helps that it turns out I'm actually really good with her and consistently get 4 gold medals every round. And here I am boasting about it on the internet.

Pit-Pat

I've started playing Zenyatta (in defence) recently and I love him. His weapon in combination with the Discord sphere is beautifully disruptive and can tear apart a Roadhog so quickly. God it's a good game.

Neil

I do love it, takes me back to TF2 and Quake-based team mods. And has a very wide variety of playstyles, such as Quake rocket jumping with Pharah.

But I've been gagging for more content, and have been occasionally frustrated at the amount of Johnny Nothumbs who simply treat it as a deathmatch.

So I'm thrilled to just find out that ranked mode is finally up! First placement match there was awesome, we worked like a machine and totally shut down the other team at the start of the second round. Got a healing record with Lucio because the team stayed and played together. Other people knew to signal when their ultimates were ready. Ah, it was superb.

Widowmaker is my main, but I don't know if the recent nerd for her was implemented on consoles. Better go and find out.

Widowmaker is my main also although I find her ultimate a little weak at times.

Neil

It's more of a situational support tool, so can really help the whole team.

Seems they have indeed nerfed Mcree and Widowmaker on consoles. I thought that might not happen as they acknowledged there are different meta's on PC and console, and Widowmaker isn't as much of a liability when you're using a control pad. Blizzard had said they were going to fine tune the game according to the different meta's on console and PC. Ah well, I'll see how I go with her now.

I think the key ti avoiding deathmatches is just to play with people you know. I've been playing now with a full team of people I know and it's a different game from solo queuing. Most people don't even use mics from my experience of solo overwatch on PC.

Tracer is really the standout character for me. I love Junkrat dearly. Years of TF2 demoman have made me quite strong off the bat at him. But Tracer's abilities set feel so interesting. She's basically the scout but the teleporting and rewind abilities change the game completely.

When you play her right and start blinking at right angles, you turn into a near unswattable fly that just keeps annoying the other players.

Yesterday Reinhart tackled me off a cliff on that Greek map, then as we both plumetted to our deaths, I just rewound. We both had to stop playing for 5 minutes to get over the laughing. I've since got Nvidia Shadowplay going on my computer which basically just means you can do the PS4 Share button thing and save the last 5 minutes of your game.

Was so gutted I didn't save that footage.

Neil

Lots of people are really excited about Tracer, but I've not put any time into her yet, really. Mei is the next one I'll likely focus on more. Her moveset is brilliantly frustrating, and being able to redetermine the map flow on the fly is amazing. Plus she can be a real bugger to kill.

Love how much you can do with the healers in Overwatch. Lucio is huge fun to play as - really nippy, and suits my rushing/aggressive style. I hadn't been bothering with the knockback, but started using it tonight, and its ace! Really quick cooldown, and you can fling people into the void with it.

Just had some amazingly fun games that really helped take my mind off this horrible stomach flu. Thankfully met and friended a couple of guys with mics, and we went on a 9-win streak, with the games getting progressively heated and close as they went on. Oh god, it was wild. 1% in it at one point - we had to claw back from being 99% down, and with control swapping back and forth constantly.

As Lucio in quick play I'd average maybe 8k to 9k in healing. I just did over 20k there, as the game went on so long, and my teammates stayed closer together.

The sudden death is a bit bollocksy, tending to unfairly favour defenders, but all in all, ranked mode has made an awesome game even better. Barely even saw people dash boarding to protect their stats, either. Dunno what the penalty is, but it seems to be working!

Neil

Jesus Christ lads. These ranked games are absolute sweat-fests. I love it! So fucking intense, amazing. Completely different game now, can't believe my mate traded it in for Star Wars Lego just before ranked came out.

Love playing my ultra-aggressive Lucio, like he's actually an attacker. Just constantly in the enemies face, throwing myself on the objective, trying to stay alive with speed and agility. Shame the wall-running isn't great - you shouldn't have to hold the button to stay on the wall!

robotam

I've been playing this on PS4. I've only been playing solo, but I've found competitive mode has been a really good way of encouraging team play. If you trickle in you're basically fucked.

Quote from: Neil on July 02, 2016, 08:19:56 PM
Shame the wall-running isn't great - you shouldn't have to hold the button to stay on the wall!

I ended up changing my jump button to L1 (LB, I think, on Xbox). That way I could still aim and wall ride when playing Lucio.

Barry Admin

I don't play the weekly brawls much, but the current one is ace/  Supports only, hero limit of 2 characters per team, so you don't end up with 6 v 6 Lucio's.  I'm gonna use Symettra on defence to get the "Undying" achievement out of the way, as I'm too much of a reckless rusher to get it otherwise, I reckon.  Saw someone just get a 33 streak with Zenyatta!  Anyway, very fun brawl, although can be frustrating as hell if you're on attack and up against a good team.

Where's everyone sitting at with their rank btw?  I came out at 57, and have been hovering around there since.  They definitely made some mistakes with ranked and the rewards etc, and the underdog system is SHITE, but it's still amazing fun to play. 

All my friends have moved onto Competitive but with my schedule getting to Level 25 to actually be allowed into competitive mode is taking forever. I've only just made 20 and feels like it'll be another 6 hours to make those extra 5 levels.

Barry Admin

I guess you're missing out on the bonus group xp then, so it'll take longer still.  At least some annoying stuff will be patched out by the time you reach 25.

Very excited by the new hero, who is seemingly going to be a sniping support...! My two favourite types of play mashed together, oh yes. So glad I got this game, objective-based MP is sooooo fun, and they've done an incredible job with Overwatch. There are still so many characters I have yet to master, or that I've barely even got round to putting much time into at all.

Barry Admin

New character Ana officially announced now: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-12-our-first-look-at-overwatchs-new-hero-ana

More changes coming too, like to promised D. Va buff, which will change her shield to a toggle. Zenyatta getting buffed too.

Competitive will enforce a 1-hero limit, presumably to make pro games more interesting.

Really need to show some love to support in competitive, which I've heard they were planning. I'm a beast with Lucio now, and can end up only getting half the rank boost as my offensive mate, even though I play Lucio ridiculously aggressively, and frequently hold a payload/control point by myself while the rest of the team respawns. At least they're going to fix this issue with leavers fucking everyone else over, as we do cause rage quits when we're on-form, and manage to spawn trap the other team.

Started to play Tracer as a back-up now, and doubled my controller sensitivity so I can better blink behind people, then quickly spin and shoot them in the back. God, she's brilliant, and I will not apologise for spamming, "CHEERS LOVE; THE CAVALRY'S HERE" at every opportunity.

lazarou

Ana looks like a fascinating character, a real game-changer. That six-second stun is going to be hilarious against Bastions.

Pining for my D.Va buff already.

Barry Admin

Yeah, and being able to stop enemies healing is going to be a huge help when I'm playing Lucio, and trying to boop a Roadhog. They can just sit and heal while you shoot 'em!

She does look amazing. I'd prefer new maps first, but yeah, this is a great incentive for more people to go support.

Agreed on D. Va, she was the first character I loved, but she needs buffed badly.

Also ordered a new pair of Kontrol Freekz, as we're getting some seriously hectic competitive match-ups now.

Apparently they're also fixing the basketball physics. I love you, Blizzard. I really do.

Barry Admin

Oh yeah, and 30% nerf to Torbjorn's turrets coming on console, thank fuck. Ahh, now I think about it, not having to face a final round against two Torbjorn's on competitive is going to be glorious.

65%-70% win rate with my Lucio now; I really feel like I can do a ridiculous amount of work with him. At first I got a few salty messages, and even two guys adding me to a party just to tell me off for ''losing them the game' before kicking me out before I could respond. Now, though, I am a constant pain in the ass for the other team.  Lucio let's me utilise my impatient, rush-down kamikaze style to amazing effect, given his mobility. With jump on the left bumper, and cross-fade on the A button, I can leap constantly like a Quake player, and wall-ride/speed-boost out of ridiculous situations. I'm in the other teams face the WHOLE time, knocking them back with my soundblast boop, constantly healing myself and my team, and absolutely owning a payload, be it on attack or defence.

Oh! The guy I played with told me today you could speed boost Reaper's Death Blossom. I couldn't quite figure out how it would work. Then, as we were on a big streak, we ended up playing against level 70 players who pushed our shit in, and they happened to do it. Reaper ends up being able to cover waaaaaay more ground while ulting, it was absolutely incredible, can't wait to try it.

The combinations like this, and the general way the physics work in harmony, is one of the many reasons I love this game so, so much.  It's exceedingly rare that you get ANYTHING (not just a game) with this level of thought and attention of detail invested in it.

BOOP.

I just like how she looks and especially her animation. How she hobbles around. 

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/ana/

Bhazor

Anyone else get anxiety during the vote phase? If you get just one point at the start and you worry everyone will think you voted for yourself. So you have to vote for yourself so that it doesn't just look like you voted for yourself because if it was only one vote it would look like you did vote for yourself but with two votes it means someone else must have voted for you.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Bhazor on July 15, 2016, 11:10:28 PM
Anyone else get anxiety during the vote phase? If you get just one point at the start and you worry everyone will think you voted for yourself. So you have to vote for yourself so that it doesn't just look like you voted for yourself because if it was only one vote it would look like you did vote for yourself but with two votes it means someone else must have voted for you.

I only don't vote for myself if I wasn't on the page or if I got it for turret kills by playing Bastion or Torbjorn (which I almost never do). There's no shame in it!

Barry Admin

Having fun with Ana and all the balance changes? Console plebs are still waiting for the fucking Torbjorn nerf :-(

Been branching out a bit, trying to get good at more characters so I'm a more useful, well-rounded player. Was trying Hanzo, fun, but I'm very inconsistent with him, and he's weak on console, and will be weaker still with the hitbox changes.  Settled mostly on Pharah now, getting my Quake chops dusted off. Ooh, she's bloody good, lots of fun, definitely worth putting a lot more time into.

Just started playing Lucio properly, easily the best support hero and maybe one the best of all of the characters. Junkrat is my current favourite though, the amount of damage both his gun and the rip tire do is fantastic.

robotam

There's a new update out for PS4, mine's downloading. Ana, stuff from PC patch and the Torbjörn (and Symmetra) turret damage reduction!

I've been soloing competitive mainly playing as Pharah, placed 46ish, now 62. Competitive has made me do something I hardly ever do, USE MY FUCKING MIC. I really should use it more but I feel incredibly self conscious calling shots.

EDIT: The PS4 version also has a bug now where Mei's ice walls don't disappear unless they are actively destroyed or Mei makes a new wall.  Apparently it's fixed

Barry Admin

Surprised they've nerfed Symmetra, not sure that was needed.

Just had my first game with the new patch, and noticed Ana can head-glitch. For fucks sake.

Still, excited by all the changes. And just about to prestige, too - wonder if you get a few extra loot boxes or just that star.

Can't wait to get my Pharah nano-boosted!

Oh, it's so much fun to think of how salty all the Torbjorn mains must be right now.

Barry Admin

Awesome game on Hollywood there! Kept getting damage-boosted by a really good Mercy, and nano-boosted by Ana. I was an absolute one-man wrecking crew.

Edit: Yeah, I'm loving this, can't wait to get into competitive and see how that is now. Still just as much turret spam in QP, but after we wrecked dudes there, the two Torbs ended up going Junkrat instead, and spamming the shit out of us. Think there'll be a lot more Junkrats and Bastions running around now.

Really looking forward to going back to Zenyatta as D. Va at some point too.

The changes feel really, really good so far, and its really worth playing a DPA character at the minute to benefit from the one, two or three Ana's you're going to have on your side.