Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:13:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

OverWatch, Blizzards next game

Started by VegaLA, November 10, 2014, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

So many bad Ana's on enemy teams,  feeding my ult's!  Today is crazy fun. Highly recommend flanking round the back and wrecking the Ana's you'll find there.

Barry Admin

Lazarou, or anyone else: any good D. Va tips? Getting back into her now, and doing okay, but her mech can still go down sooo fast. Best way to play her seems to be to use her mobility to flank the squishies on the back line, rather than trying to actually tank. Obviously the new defence matrix does really help with some tanking, though. Hehe, the other day I cockily did a Pharah emote on the point, and thankfully a D. Va was around to shield me from someone who just came round the corner!

When you call down a replacement mech, does it not have shields or something? There's a lot of times when I've build up meter to get the new mech, call it down when I get into trouble, and instantly end up vaulting out of it. Will have to pay more attention next time I do it.

lazarou

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 24, 2016, 06:44:36 PM
Lazarou, or anyone else: any good D. Va tips? Getting back into her now, and doing okay, but her mech can still go down sooo fast. Best way to play her seems to be to use her mobility to flank the squishies on the back line, rather than trying to actually tank. Obviously the new defence matrix does really help with some tanking, though. Hehe, the other day I cockily did a Pharah emote on the point, and thankfully a D. Va was around to shield me from someone who just came round the corner!

Bear in mind I'm a fairly casual player so this might be terrible advice:

Using her mobility to take out sniper/supports is generally the way I like to go, yeah. Also boosting at close quarters can help clear an area as you'll be bulling folks out of the way, hitting them with 25 damage each time, it can mix things up when you're overwhelmed and need some space. If you smart/lucky with it you can knock 'em off into pits and the like too.

On Payload maps I like to hang back right behind the frontline when there's nothing too exciting going on and vary between constantly throwing shields up for the front and just throwing down fire at range. Won't do huge damage but it can keep a little pressure on and built your ult up faster. Keep enough cover to not draw too much fire while being close enough to punish anyone who tries to get too close.

When you call down a replacement mech, does it not have shields or something? There's a lot of times when I've build up meter to get the new mech, call it down when I get into trouble, and instantly end up vaulting out of it. Will have to pay more attention next time I do it.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but I feel like you're right. I actually tend to end up with a different problem where my D.Va will get shot up as her mech's dropping and die before it hits, so I tend to be more careful with that now. The mech actually does AoE damage (with knockback) to any enemies in range when it lands, but I've rarely been in a situation where I can pull that off without getting wasted.

Barry Admin

Thanks. I usually end up with golds, but I always die a lot, no matter who I play, and I think it's getting a little frustrating. Problem is I'm just a reckless rusher in general!

But I am still always learning new things with this game.

Barry Admin

Decided to play more Zarya, as I needed a good tank under my belt, and I've been impressed with them in some ranked games lately.  Oooh, she's very difficult at first, but once you get the hang of her, she's a right beast.  Very tactical character, as you have to bait people ino shooting at you so you can throw a barrier up.  Fun "support" angle to her as well, as you want to be throwing the projected barriers up over anyone in trouble - firstly to save/help them, and secondly to get a charge.

Watched that Korean girl's stream last night - Gegury - oh my god, what a player!  I guess people know the back-story there, but yeah, check out the stream where she was proving that she doesn't hack.  Goes 27-0 in the first game. 

Barry Admin

Also, I've been immersing myself in the lore, and rewatching the animated shorts. Oh, they are so brilliantly done, really genuinely moving and exciting.

I'm seeing hardly any interest in the game from my friends list (and on here, obviously), so I do hope it doesn't die out on Xbox any time soon.

Pit-Pat

It's a shame you're not on PS4 - I've got quite a good, fairly regular group that plays.

Barry Admin

Yeah I probably should have got a PS4 when I had the chance, as there's waaaay more people on there these days.

Anyway, still having so much fun with Zarya! Mastering a new character really keeps me hooked on the game, while waiting for the new maps and whatnot. You can really hold the front line with her, and as I mentioned, the cat and mouse mind-games to get a charge are ace. Definitely a good idea for me to get a tank under my belt, given my love of being right in the thick of the action, and of hogging the objective.

Also really love saving people from rip-tires, or just walking upto a D.Va nuke and popping my barrier at the last second so I soak up that lovely charge.

A great tip is to throw a projected barrier on a Reinhardt, as it poke through his shield, and you'll get your charge in no time.

Who's everyone else maining at the minute?

Pit-Pat

Are you tending to play Ranked, Neil?

I am, and I've found I tend to only main characters I know I'm good with because the risk of playing ones I'm not good at isn't worth taking. I'm generally Reaper, Lucio, Tracer, Zenyatta or, very occasionally, Winston, as my speciality tends more towards either getting behind the enemy team and disrupting or being an active support.

I'd love to be able to play Zarya well - I did have a few good games with her earlier on - but I find getting the timing right so difficult. I have to say, I absolutely love Zenyatta though, particularly when defending.

Junkrat is my main, his mortar gun is lethal and the rip tire can clear an objective if used well. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than raining down mortar shells over a wall and watching the kills come in as they randomly bounce around.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Pit-Pat on August 01, 2016, 09:16:27 AM
Are you tending to play Ranked, Neil?

Nah, I gave up on it until they fix the coin flip and the general bollocks state of it.

I was playing with this one guy, and we were doing well.  I placed at rank 57, and was able to stay around there, and was wanting to get into the 60's.  Then one Friday night, these three lads invited me to play with them, and I figured okay, why not.  They were a lower rank (in the low-40's), and two of them were pissed on whiskey, but I figured, hey, with 4 people coordinating, we'll trounce the opposition.  Well, we got beat, and because I was playing with/against lower ranked people, I went down an entire rank each game that we lost!  An entire fucking rank.  But I was stubborn, figuring we would eventually get the win, so kept soldering on.  Ended up at rank 48, so now I'm stuck in Elo hell, and can't be arsed trying to get out.  I try, on occasions, but at that rank you're having to put up with people picking Hanzo or Ana, and trickling instead of grouping up. 

Barry Admin

Worth pointing out that Blizzard are staying good to their word, and have had their second major banwave.  They really don't fuck about, and do IP and hardware bans, so that people find it virtually impossible to get back into the game, even if they go out and buy another copy.

Here's a screencap off Reddit, which is worth checking out just to see the fucking staggering levels of entitlement that exist amongst cheaters. 

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 02, 2016, 05:09:07 PM
Nah, I gave up on it until they fix the coin flip and the general bollocks state of it.

I was playing with this one guy, and we were doing well.  I placed at rank 57, and was able to stay around there, and was wanting to get into the 60's.  Then one Friday night, these three lads invited me to play with them, and I figured okay, why not.  They were a lower rank (in the low-40's), and two of them were pissed on whiskey, but I figured, hey, with 4 people coordinating, we'll trounce the opposition.  Well, we got beat, and because I was playing with/against lower ranked people, I went down an entire rank each game that we lost!  An entire fucking rank.  But I was stubborn, figuring we would eventually get the win, so kept soldering on.  Ended up at rank 48, so now I'm stuck in Elo hell, and can't be arsed trying to get out.  I try, on occasions, but at that rank you're having to put up with people picking Hanzo or Ana, and trickling instead of grouping up.

Mm, I'm stuck on 48. I played something like 7 games on Sunday morning and won 1. One of the losses was because we didn't play as well as the opposition. In literally all of the others we had teammates leaving early, failing to actually participate in any way (not only going for kills, neither going for kills nor near the objective) and sometimes griefing us by putting up ice walls between our team and the spawn.

It was horrifically frustrating.

Barry Admin

Yeah, god, a great example of why I just tit around in Quickplay now.  I did want to get more characters under my belt, anyway, particularly the high-skill ceiling three-star ones like Zarya.  In a game last week, I was able to carry the team through to the fourth round.  At this point, some guy who was like level 37 decides to leave, even though he'd been spamming "group up with me" the whole time.  Then two other guys decided to start spamming it, so there was like this whole political thing going on.  I had my best game ever with Pharah, and even with 5 men, we manage to get through to the deciding round.  Me as Pharah, two tanks, and probably a Genji or another tank. 

"Low Team Damage!" - Shit, hope we get a Reaper or something here.  No, no, the last guy goes fucking ANA!  Ana can't even be used as a primarily healer, she's just back-up like Zenyatta, so I'm livid.  I stand in the spawn, punching the Ana, and the rest of the team quickly gather round and do the same.

Game starts, they had a turret in the corner of the first point of Anubis, with a Reinhardt in front of it, and we get our clocks cleaned.

Also, the amount of times I'm the only person standing on the payload is insane.  There needs to be better tutorials, so people actually realise that a) it's not deathmatch, and a good KDR won't win the game and b) you need three people to move a payload at its max speed, or take an objective as quickly as possible.

Pit-Pat

I can't fathom why quite so many people are playing Ana right now, beyond the obvious point that she's new. Seeing Ana on attack, especially when you've inexplicably got a Bastion and a Torbjorn before you've even unlocked the payload, is a total pain.

I know Ana is support but I've yet to be killed by her and have killed her many times myself, you should at least be able to deal some damage as support otherwise you're a sitting duck.

Been trying different characters than my normal ones and have come to the conclusion that McCree is either utter shite or I'm just shit at playing him. Reaper on the other hand is ace.

Barry Admin

I've seen some good Ana's, but they're thin on the ground, and snipers are problematic for Zarya and Pharah anyway.  The good ones understand they will get either a projectile or hitscan shot, depending on if they're zoomed in or not, and will stay with their teams, rather than sitting on the backlines like a really shit, ineffectual Widowmaker.  They can be a source of frustration, e.g. I just played a game there on Gibraltar, defending. Me and Mei were the only ones holding the payload, while everone flanked about with Genji's and Tracers etc. 

What'll often happen if you're a DPS class, or Zarya with a full charge, is that you'll close in for the kill on a bunch of low-health heroes, only for Ana to smash one of those fucking grenades on the ground, healing everyone, and making any other healers do double heals.  Or she'll put you to sleep, teabag you, and her team will be smart enough NOT to shoot you and give you the wake-up, until there's enough of them gathered around to DPS your face off.

Barry Admin

Few more tips for playing Zarya effectively.  Firstly, situational awareness is key, you've got to know what's going on around you at all times, and playing her for a good while will help in this.  Keep your projected barriers for the likes of Roadhog and, as mentioned, Reinhardt.  This might seem counter-productive - why would you shield a tank?  Well, because they generate the most aggro, so you'll get your charge in no time.  Throwing a barrier on e.g. Tracer or Genji is fairly pointless, most of the time, as they're built to evade and have high mobility, so it'll usually be a waste. 

If they're about to die, and/or are heading for health, though, slap one on them. 

Another time you might want to do so is if you see them with a Discord Orb, or being frozen by a cunty little Mei.  Barriers will remove status effects such as these!  Discord orbs, gone, and the freezing effect will wear off, and Mei will have to start it over again, giving you both plenty of time to kick her in the cunt. 

Don't really bother putting your own barrier up until people start shooing at you.  You have 200 of your HP pool as shields, so it will regenerate over time, so yeah, take a little knock, then get that barrier up, and go and melt face.

Use the mortars as primary fire, would be my best suggestion.  I use them a lot for area denial in particular, lobbing them into doorways and known sniper spots, even if there's no one there.  You can also use them to rocket jump, and can even fire one up in the air, then jump off another one as it lands ("sync jumping.")

Oh, and a lot of D.Va's and Genji's still think they can shield or deflect your laser.  They can't, only your mortars, so I particularly love getting right in a D. Va's face, and popping my barrier as she starts shooting me, only to then use the charge she's just given me to melt the shit out of her mech. By the time she realises her instinctive use of Defense Matrix is doing naff all, you'll already be lobbing mortars out to the back of her, to catch her when she explodes out.

Barry Admin

Sorry, me again, but... PATCH IS LIVE!  Lucioball, Olympic skins, lots of much-needed bug fixes.  Hell yeah.

Barry Admin

Just getting back into this to check out the Halloween stuff and season 2 changes. Loving it! Really needed a break as I'd ripped the arse out of it, but its great to use off my Zarya and Pharah. Competitive seems much improved, too.

Seen the Halloween makeover Hollywood has been given? Sweet af.

The only bad thing is that all the Sombra shit is still dragging on. Enough, already.

Bhazor

Sombra hasn't even arrived and I'm already telling him to piss off.

They really need to up the content releases in general. One new map and one new character since release is pretty paltry. Though I would rather they focus on maps and modes than try to squeeze in more heroes. Theres already a ton of redundancy in the game especially with snipers. Not only is Ana another sniper but she basically makes Zenyatta redundant as a healer. Before he was viable as  in contrast to Lucio and Mercy who are faster healers but drop like flies in a fight Zen could sit a mile from the fight healing his tank and discording the enemy tank. Its hard to think of anything missing in terms of hero roles and I think the overlap is just going to keep getting worse. There's a reason that after thousands of updates TF2 still has never released a new hero.

Right now I'd just settle for a batch of half decent skins. I'm sitting on 3000 points with fuck all to spend them on as I already have all the skins that I actually like the look of.

Barry Admin

I'm not up on all the latest balance changes, but I've seen some awesome Zenny's in a few competitive games. They were able to totally counter a lot of hero ults in a really clutch manner. Agree, though, I really want more maps and modes.

And I love ARGs, but the Sombra thing has been ludicrous. They've just announced a new PTR update, so hopefully she'll finally get unleashed there.

robotam

New hero, Sombra, finally fucking announced.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/sombra/

This is still the game I'm mostly playing at the moment. I even briefly made it into the Top500 EU PS4 players.

Bhazor

God. Invisibility, ulti cancel, AOE shield destroyer. I can already tell this bitch is gonna make me rage worse than an ambush Mei.

At least Ana's sleep darts take skill to land. But an AOE ability cancel? Which includes disabling all blocking, escape and healing abilities? Get tae fuck.

As I said before she's standing on a lot of toes with her ability set. She renders Ana's sleep dart worthless, her ulti is a more powerful version of Tracer's (which seriously needs a buff) and she has a more effective version of Reaper's teleport which doesn't need the 5 second "look everyone I'm teleporting" animation. My biggest fear with the game is this will continue and the inherent core of each character will be diluted down and eke out into new heroes. Then all the distinct characters will just be lost.

Like with interracial marriage.

Bhazor

HappyTree

You're such a Hanzo main. You probably think this game's about you.

Barry Admin

Bump! Anyone still playing? Thought I'd fire it up and see the anniversary stuff and it looks like there's new maps, thankfully. Kind of want to get into it again, but just not sure if I can. Having said that, I just went on an absolute tear with Zarya and it was epic, one of those matches where in nearly invincible and steam through the enemy ranks with the payload. 18 kills and only died once right at the end.

How is Orisa? I do love playing as tank. Wondering if Widow has become more useful again. Intrigued to see how balance has changed in general actually, I'll maybe get round to playing Hanzo and my first main Lucio this week, while I rack up some loot boxes.

robotam

Play a bit nearly every day. Orisa can be good fun especially on that nepal map that's mostly indoors with the pit. Her mini graviton thing is good for yanking people off the edge. They ended up reducing the cooldown on her barrier which has made her more viable, but it's still hard to ever recommend her over either Reinhart or just running a dive composition.
You can pair her up with another tank and a bastion/torb to create a gun nest (or mobile gun nest on a payload). It will often take some time for the enemy team to react, sometimes letting you win on rounds where there isn't much timebank.

Depending on when you last played, Lucio might be quite different to how you remember him. He has smaller faster bullets now and they do more damage. His healing has increased on teammates but his radius of effect has been significantly reduced.

There are some changes to roadhog and reaper that they are trying out on the public test region on the PC that could be interesting if they go through. There's also a new moon map that's being tested there.

Cuellar

I play this as often as possible. Mainly Lucio, but if he's taken then Pharah, sometimes Bastion on defence. Got a few more placement matches to go, but I won four on the trot last night. Smashing it, I was.

My name is ButteryKen (shamelessly cribbed from Bob Mortimer's cat names for sale on twitter. I didn't even pay him the £8 p/a) if anyone is interested in adding me.

Swoz_MK

Mrs is in love with it. I too think it is pretty great. The 1v1 mode that's part of the current anniversary event is fucking excellent.