Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:47:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

OverWatch, Blizzards next game

Started by VegaLA, November 10, 2014, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesterlyWinds

I only bought it Saturday, but I'm loving it so far. Pretty much exclusively play Lucio unless there's another healer, in which case I just pick an underrepresented role (with wildly varying success). It's one of those games where I can have mad success for a few games but when the losses start they seem to go on forever

Barry Admin

Thanks for the balance updates robotam. Much obliged! I don't think I've played since at least Halloween, really. I didn't even know about the shield generator, that was puzzling me today.

Some great stuff on the arcade, 1v1 is indeed rather good! Need to stop being so rusty though. Just played a 3v3 match there and found that to be a great concept as well, locking out the winning characters for each round is brilliant. CTF is fun. It's this variety (of a meaningful nature) that's always been lacking for me.

Barry Admin

Oh fuck yeah, Total Mayhem! This is what I'm talking about. I love these overcharged modes in Destiny, and going back to the Quake games. Lovely stuff.

Cuellar

STOP PICKING MCCREE AND TRACER AND HANZO REGARDLESS OF DEFENCE OR ATTACK OR MAP YOU UTTER

Haven't won a single fucking game since the placement matches because NO ONE will go a healer, or tanks when you have to hold a point. This is driving me nuts.

Barry Admin

Yeah, see, that's kind of what put me off, and what will do again.

It's the same with Gears of War 4 Horde, either you play with a bunch of clueless randoms and have the odd good game, or you team up with people who know what they're doing and then it all becomes a boring production line. Overwatch with a team wouldn't be that boring, I guess, but still, I get absolutely infuriated at people who play team games without ever playing for the team.

Cuellar

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 06, 2017, 06:36:08 PM
Yeah, see, that's kind of what put me off, and what will do again.

It's the same with Gears of War 4 Horde, either you play with a bunch of clueless randoms and have the odd good game, or you team up with people who know what they're doing and then it all becomes a boring production line. Overwatch with a team wouldn't be that boring, I guess, but still, I get absolutely infuriated at people who play team games without ever playing for the team.

Mmmmm it's pretty demoralising, it must be said. I always think I'm the legend for going Lucio, but I forced someone else to go a healer just then and I went a tank and we won, so maybe I'm just a shit Lucio. But I was playing with some, what sounded like, 12 year old kids once and they said 'wow this Lucio's good' so it can't be that.

edit: It's fucking endless - Reaper, McCree, Hanzo, and just now, WIDOWMAKER on attack. I despair.

WesterlyWinds

How many of you are playing it on ps4? Could get a team together

Barry Admin

Xbox, sorry.

Is "Total Mayhem" just a temporary thing then? I don't think I could actually go back to the normal game, but I knew that would happen, and was kind of bored of it anyway. Total Mayhem is just absolutely phenomenal.

robotam

I'm on PS4. ID: robotam.

Arcade rotates what modes are on it. So total mayhem might disappear. It will still be available for custom games. I imagine  someone will just create a playlist of that mode on the server browser (the magnifying glass in arcade) and you can just play it there. You earn less XP playing on custom servers but the option will be there.

Cuellar

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on June 07, 2017, 07:44:55 AM
How many of you are playing it on ps4? Could get a team together

I was literally just about to post this having mulled it over at lunch. Yes, we need a CaB All Stars team and we need to start WINNING. I want to be sick of winning.

PS4 name: ButteryKen

I also need to get better with a tank - I used to be alright at D.Va but haven't played her in ages, and I quite like Orisa but her uses are limited. I'm thinking Zarya, but I've struggled with her in the past. Maybe Roadhog as he can be a pain in the arse.

WesterlyWinds

Well my favourite is Lucio so even if it's just a romantic twosome we are set

Just ordered this on Xbox and likely to get it in a few days. Can't wait.

What's the best way to approach it as a complete newbie? Quite like the look of the turret making characters. Also seems that people moan the most about tank and healing characters being absent from teams. Was thinking about maining a tank as a result.

Cuellar

Yeah tanks and healers are always welcome, But just play around with several characters from several different classes buntil you find one that you can do well with. Pretty much any character played well is an asset to a team. It's often worth waiting until everyone else has chosen their characters and then seeing what the team needs (as long as you can play a class that's needed that is: going a support character you've never played before probably won't help the team that much).

That being said, getting comfortable with several characters from different classes comes in handy, so you can jump onto a tank/healer/support/damage as needed.

Personally I get great satisfaction playing really annoying characters: using Lucio's secondary fire to bump people over cliffs, going Tracer and blinking past the other team's defences and relentlessly targeting their healers.

Coming from games like Counter Strike I was very tempted just to go the damage causing characters all the time, just looking for kills. But that's generally not how you win games in Overwatch; focus on the objective of the map! If you've got to move a payload, keep on it - don't go chasing enemies all over the map. If they're not obstructing your objective, ignore them. Picking a character that can help the team keep an objective/move a payload will always be welcome.

Also watch Limmy's videos.

I've seen quite a few of Limmy's videos. Presumably the tactic is to ask people if they came to parlay and call them trash.

TheWoodenSpoon

Played the free weekend aeons ago and it didn't really click with me. On the upside I did get lucky with teams and won every match (disclaimer: there were only 6 of them) despite playing as the noob's choice, Junkrat.

Cuellar

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on July 18, 2017, 12:24:54 PM
I've seen quite a few of Limmy's videos. Presumably the tactic is to ask people if they came to parlay and call them trash.

Pretty much yeah.

In all seriousness, Limmy's tactic of deliberately trying to throw the game if someone on his team says something sexist/racist/homophobic is a good one. And refusing to heal rude people.

Well, it turned up today and I've banked 4 hours and got to lvl 11.

I've mainly played Mercy and D.Va (1 hr each), and the rest split between Symmetra, Reinhardt, and Tracer, with a couple of others.

Mercy and Reindhart are good, but people failing to accommodate them is majorly annoying. Frequently on king of the hill I'd have to switch to Reinhardt to give a bit of cover (which they'd frequently neglect to use) and I'd often be forced to choose Mercy, but they would charge in to attack the defended position one at a time leaving me to try to get Mercy close with no protection and often left totally exposed.

Quite like playing tank though. Just a shame that so few choose healers.

Interesting new patch on this. You can now join groups with roles specified in advance. Keep joining as a tank, but keep getting kicked before the game starts. Majorly frustrating.

Barry Admin

Just dusting this off as I'm getting back into Xbox games a bit. Looks like I haven't played it since last June! Still fun, I quickly got back to a decent level of play with Zarya. Interesting changes, such as Symmetra's teleporter. It's fun to dip in again, and run around spamming "hello." I should really do some league play, as I only need 321 coins to finally get Zarya the golden weapon. I did buy her that lovely new Barbarian skin with the credits I had saved up. Probably gonna play Pharah again as well, to relive my Quake days.

BeardFaceMan

This is in the latest humblebundle monthly for a tenner. Seeing as most monthly bundles these days consist of one decent game and a load of other shite, is it worth a tenner to get this for the pc?

Bhazor

Well I'm astounded it isn't free to play yet. But yeah its worth a tenner. Still has a huge player base nearly three years after release.

Hecate

Yes, it's brilliant.
I got bored of online shooty-bangs a good while ago (just played them too much) and trying the open beta of this totally reignited my passion. I lived and breathed it for a good few months before burning myself out.

It just got too much in the end, I get too excited, too into it, I try too hard. Throwing my mouse around, checking every corner, switching character for each situation, carrying a team full of idiots playing as that prick with the bow.

"Get on the fucking trolley! Push! Push! PUUUUUUSH!"

Definitely worth a tenner.

Lucio is fab, skating around the walls and healing everyone, great fun, that australian arsehole with the mines, I loved playing as him, feels like troll mode. Ooh, and that buff dykey russian one, she was brilliant. Early on people underestimated her and you could surprise everyone with a well timed magnetic bomb thing.

Barry Admin

It is great, but I imagine it'll be a fair challenge jumping in at this stage, with so many new characters and such. I guess there'll be a good influx of similarly skilled noobs to play against because of this humble bundle, though.

Hecate

Yeah, they had an open weekend recently so there'll be lots of new folk jumping in, definitely a good time to start if it takes your fancy.

Bhazor

Pharah remains my Bae. Unfortunately she gets fucked hard by a bunch of characters who are honestly just easier to play. Bastion, Soldier, McRee, both snipers all of them can just stand there and kill you in two or three body shots while Pharah has super slow rockets that do less than 60% damage to the lowest health hero on a direct hit and can be blocked by half the heros. Likewise the amount of hit scan weapons (weapons that you don't need to aim with) started to get on my tits. Wheres the joy of a perfectly triangulated rocket calculated along three different movement vectors hitting a guy right between the eyes from 200 feet away when bastion could kill that guy before my rocket even reached them. Wheres the joy of playing as Tracer when Mei can do more damage without having to worry about actually aiming. Its the same problem I had with Team Fortress 2. The line every class is playing a different game is great except for when those games fuck each other over. In TF2 I would be playing as Scout or Soldier and treating it like Quake and having great fun with tight quarters bashing and rocket jumping and trading shots across 2Fort and then someone picks sniper and then you're getting killed by someone you have no way of fighting back against.

BeardFaceMan

What's it like in regards to microtransactions, lootboxes, pay-to-win, season passes, dlc (does that kind of thing get mentioned in games reviews now? Because it fucking well should, let you know upfront if you're going to need to spend the entire price of the game again to keep it up to date and to look all spiffy) etc? Made the mistake of buying vanilla Destiny 2 in a monthly bundle, its pretty shit and limiting playing it without all the expansions. And I could not give a solitary fuck about customization so that shite doesn't interest me, I'll grind to earn stuff in-game even though I won't use it because it's something to do in-game but paying extra money to look nice? Fuck right off with that shit.

Bhazor

Lootboxes are purely cosmetic. All heroes are free and every player has the same weapons. As it should be with a pay to play game.

BeardFaceMan

I like the sound of that, I think I may invest.

BeardFaceMan

Christ there are a lot of chraacters to choose from, they cant all play that differently from each other can they? Rather than recommendations, are there any characters that I should stay away from?

Bhazor

Stay away from Bastion. Unless you want me to call you a cunt.

I will say the dullest character is probably Dva who is also horribly mislabeled as a tank because she can't protect shit. Sombra is only any use if you're playing with a strong organised team. Ana is a terrible healer in about 90% of maps. I found soldier deathly dull but he has the most overpowered ulti in the game and I got 20kill streak the first time I played him.

My favourite characters to play as were Pharah, Tracer, Mae and Zarya. With some Widowmaker on the robot factory map where the last point is basically a shooting gallery.

I stopped playing just before they released the hamster ball guy.