Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graphology

Started by Gazeuse, February 13, 2004, 09:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazeuse

I'm afraid I've been watching Tricia again. Today, what with it being valentine's day tomorrow, they're matchmaking ugly stupid people.

Anyway, they've got a graphologist on to test their handwriting to see if their characters are compatible. This reminded me...What a load of old bollocks graphology is. Well, it it isn't it?!? How can you possibly say that someone is spiteful because the dangly bits in their 'Y's' are sharp?!?

I don't know if this still happens, but some companies used to have a graphologist look over application forms to reject unsuitable candidates for jobs. Bloody cheek!!!

It's bollocks isn't it?!?

fanny splendid

Whenever I have had to hand write a job application form, I have always put down Graphology in the 'interests' section, just to let them know, that I know.

;-)

Uncle_Z

Bollocks it is.

One of the industry weeklies has a section where they flatter a senior body for a while then get them to write a short passage.  It invariably ends up with their handwriting indicating that they are confident, assertive, powerful, do not suffer fools gladly, and occasionally flamboyant.  Hmm, my mind is crushed by the surprise.

My boss was invited to submit.  Much arse kissing preceded his ultimate decision to just say no.  I was most miffed since I wanted him to dictate what he wanted to say and for me to then re-write in my 'orrible scrawl.  Would be interesting on the off chance that they might say "We simply cannot see how someone with handwriting like this could have risen to a position of responsibility.  One would expect better from an old Etonian".

(Tangent which I have probably spleened before.  In high school I got 98% in a history exam.  The teacher said "It's a good result but your handwriting is awful".  I said "If my handwriting had been better would I have got the extra 2%?".  Answer "No".)

Reverend Minge

Using graphology to sift through applicants for jobs is just a pseudo-science devised by unemployed graphologists. My handwriting looks well-hard and dynamic but I'm a lazy sod by nature.

And as for those psychological tests - what a pile of shite they are. Would be understandable if they were for the position of CEO of Microsoft, but stores like Tesco and Argos use them and we all know the dull twats they employ.

ColaCoca

Has anyone else forgotten how to write?  I do so little of it these days that when I have to I really struggle and my fingers start ti hurt after a couple of minutes.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "ColaCoca"Has anyone else forgotten how to write?  I do so little of it these days that when I have to I really struggle and my fingers start ti hurt after a couple of minutes.

Yes!!! I always had really bad handwriting, but even I can't read it now.

Purple Tentacle

At school I did all my GCSEs and A-Levels on computer because I have dyspraxia, and my handwriting is illegible.

However, as a punishment, I had to do this on the fucking stage in the exam/assembley hall so everybody was facing me, looking at me and hating me.

However, looking at friendsreunited it appears that they are all souless failures, so I won that.

smoker

yep my handwriting was never particularly good but since i've spent so much time on keyboards the last five years or so my writing is now terrible. if i aplly for jobs i automatically cross off those that require a handwritten covering letter

Bogey

I love handwriting, even though I don't have call to do it very often. It seems to get more flamboyant every year.
And it's so great when you find a really good pen.

Did anyone else have to use fountain pens at school? Very strange rule that, given the messiness and such, but such a fabulous writing instrument. I haven't used one for ages though, maybe I should go and get one.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Bogey"Did anyone else have to use fountain pens at school? Very strange rule that, given the messiness and such, but such a fabulous writing instrument. I haven't used one for ages though, maybe I should go and get one.

Do kids still use them?

I used to have a little pencil case full of empty cartridges, I loved the incredibly bouncy little ball-bearings you used to get in them.

It was like loading a shotgun, but with messier consequences.

big dogs cock

We used fountain pens, both a recipe for mess and a deadly weapon in the wrong hands.

You can sort of tell a little bit about someone from their handwriting though, big bubbly handwriting with little circles for dots, that's female, lots of fluffy toys in her bedroom regardless of age and status, probably called 'toni' or 'stace' for example. Mine is just a general random mess with no particular pattern that fluctuates in size and direction, so maybe there's something in it after all!

My writing was so bad I had to have a green rubber triangle bully magnet thing on my pen at school, Apparently I hold the pen 'wrong', however that's meant to work.

Bilko

I used fountain pens in the late eighties. We would flick them at walls to to try and splatter the walls with ink.

Gazeuse

Yes, we had fountain pens at 'big school.'

In junior school, I was one of the kids with big pencils, 'cos my writing was so bad.

I was best man at my mates' wedding and I completely sodded up the register book. Luckily everyone saw the funny side, except the registrar who had just qualified and I got blobs all over his very first entry.

His name was Reg (True).

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"I used fountain pens in the late eighties. We would flick them at walls to to try and splatter the walls with ink.

hehe...That's just reminded me...We had a teacher who we were really bad to. He used to run out and cry at regular intervals, poor sod. On one occasion he was waling up and down the aisle between the desks and every time he went past a couple of the lads, they'd flick ink up the back of his jacket. He only realised when on the final pass he felt some ink on the back of his neck.

sproggy

Quote from: "big dogs cock"...You can sort of tell a little bit about someone from their handwriting though, big bubbly handwriting with little circles for dots, that's female...

Weird.  Why do most women write like that?  Big loopy, seventies style letters, where do they all learn to write the same?

king mob

Quote from: "smoker"yep my handwriting was never particularly good but since i've spent so much time on keyboards the last five years or so my writing is now terrible. if i aplly for jobs i automatically cross off those that require a handwritten covering letter

Its a real problem with a lot of people & something which i suffer from badly, which is annoying to say the least.
Some large companies are having handwriting lessons to bring their staff up to a readable standard, mainly advertising agencies & matketing companies.

Blue Jam

Quote from: "Bogey"Did anyone else have to use fountain pens at school? Very strange rule that, given the messiness and such...

We were supposed to use only fountan pens or fineliner pens at my school- pencils and biros were banned for writing, even for teachers, but I didn't have a problem with this as for some reason I find it much more difficult to write in biro- my handwriting's usually appalling, but it's illegible in biro. My dad had the same problem, and so did a friend of mine at school.

Quote from: "Bogey"...but such a fabulous writing instrument. I haven't used one for ages though, maybe I should go and get one... ...and it's so great when you find a really good pen.

Biros would go into Room 101 if I was on the show- such horrible, scratchy things with nasty blobby ink. I don't know why people buy Mont Blanc or Cross biros, surely that's like buying a gold-plated Lada. I got a nice Sheaffer half price from Selfridges (originally £30), and it would have been worth the full price as it's just so nice to use... I'll stop this now before it gets any nerdier.

I remember those big pencils too- all the thick kids at my primary school used them.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Muhah we used founain pens, no big deal except that I'm left handed and had to learn to write awkwarrdly so I didn't smudge the damn shite.
Tht said we also had to do a brief stint in calligraphy (presumably to make our handwriting better) dead expensive it was, but rather good nonetheless.

Obviously not all girls write in that fathanded way, but I can only presume its a result of demeanour, so you clutch your pen in a particular way, and press hardf into the paper because your a childish cow.

I hear doctors ahve illegible scrawl.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Blue Jam"
I remember those big pencils too- all the thick kids at my primary school used them.
Watch it, you!!!

I was not remedial!!!

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Whenever I have had to hand write a job application form, I have always put down Graphology in the 'interests' section, just to let them know, that I know.

Blue Jam

It's true- all the thick kids at my school used them. I was merely making an observation, don't take it personally... ;)

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Blue Jam"It's true- all the thick kids at my school used them. I was merely making an observation, don't take it personally... ;)

I should've written a smilie at the end of my post with my bloody big pencil!!!

:-)

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Gazeuse"

His name was Reg (True).

Wow, that is unusual, you don't hear of many people with brackets in their names.

Yeah I had a fountain pen in High School too, although I probably shouldn't have as when I got bored, even in the slightest, I would take the cartridge out and start squeezing ink everywhere.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "sproglette"
Quote from: "big dogs cock"...You can sort of tell a little bit about someone from their handwriting though, big bubbly handwriting with little circles for dots, that's female...
Weird.  Why do most women write like that?  Big loopy, seventies style letters, where do they all learn to write the same?
:-)  Which does tend to make one think there must be something in it.  Whether it's a *measurable* something is a different matter.

I read a book on it in my early teens that one of my brothers brought home, I think it was just "Teach Yourself Graphology".  Fascinating, and every now and again I try to track down a copy, with no results (no, not recently, so I haven't tried Amazon or e-Bum).

Having remembered the key points, however, I'd say that there is something in it - you can usually tell how happy or sad someone was when they were writing something, and whether they're introvert or extrovert.  Their confidence and/or egotism is also pretty visible.  Some of it's just common-sense: people who end up running off the right-hand margin and having to cram words in at the end of a line are supposed to be bad at planning ahead, which seems fair.

Considering that writing is a direct product of your brain, it doesn't seem to be outrageous to me that it could be affected by your mood and personality.  The book had a fascinating series of samples of Richard Nixon's signature, from when he'd just been elected (it was bold and brassy), through when Watergate was really kicking in (much reduced in size and tailed off at the end), until his eventual impeachment (basically an unreadable wiggly but nearly flat line).

As I implied at the beginning, whether anything useful to an employer or not can be got out of it I don't know, and I would be uneasy at being asked to do a graphology test for an employer myself, despite my handwriting being fairly readable and positive when I try.  (Although like others, I can't write more than a sentence these days without getting cramp.)

Uncle_Z

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"

From your handwriting I can tell you are a sex pest.  A sex pest who put up some "handwriting" which is actually a font.

Frinky

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Yeah I had a fountain pen in High School too, although I probably shouldn't have as when I got bored, even in the slightest, I would take the cartridge out and start squeezing ink everywhere.

I'm sure a physciatrist would love to delve deeper into that one...

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "sproglette"
:-)  Which does tend to make one think there must be something in it.  Whether it's a *measurable* something is a different matter.

I read a book on it in my early teens that one of my brothers brought home, I think it was just "Teach Yourself Graphology".  Fascinating, and every now and again I try to track down a copy, with no results (no, not recently, so I haven't tried Amazon or e-Bum).

Having remembered the key points, however, I'd say that there is something in it - you can usually tell how happy or sad someone was when they were writing something, and whether they're introvert or extrovert.  Their confidence and/or egotism is also pretty visible.  Some of it's just common-sense: people who end up running off the right-hand margin and having to cram words in at the end of a line are supposed to be bad at planning ahead, which seems fair.

Considering that writing is a direct product of your brain, it doesn't seem to be outrageous to me that it could be affected by your mood and personality.  The book had a fascinating series of samples of Richard Nixon's signature, from when he'd just been elected (it was bold and brassy), through when Watergate was really kicking in (much reduced in size and tailed off at the end), until his eventual impeachment (basically an unreadable wiggly but nearly flat line).

As I implied at the beginning, whether anything useful to an employer or not can be got out of it I don't know, and I would be uneasy at being asked to do a graphology test for an employer myself, despite my handwriting being fairly readable and positive when I try.  (Although like others, I can't write more than a sentence these days without getting cramp.)

Well, yes you can tell certain things, but more with common sense that graphology. Here is an interesting article...

http://www.ntskeptics.org/FACTSHTS/graphol.htm

...In which you'll read that the graphologist likes to know the sex of the writer before they anylise the writing, so so much for being able to detect whethere it's a lady or gentleman.

What is daft is thinking that they can do something like this...

"A healthy self esteem, confident and proud. Warm and sociable, but prefers to be formally introduced to people. Authoritative, generous, witty, romantic and outgoing. Strong desire to lead and dominate. Still shows some childish exuberance, impulsively generous, may be gullible. Dislikes being second in love and sex."

Balls.