Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Hi gang

I am thinking about selling my Canon 650d and getting one of these 'premium compact' cameras like a Fuji x30. I don't go out taking pictures as much as I used to, and if I had something smaller I'd be more likely to carry it with me.

So I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction.

Also, please post nice photos x

Noodle Lizard

I may purchase one of these myself for similar reasons:  http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gm1-digital-camera-review

Panasonic Lumix GM1, that is.  It has the benefit of being the rough size of a regular point-and-shoot but has the added bonus of offering interchangeable lenses.  I'll need to look at more photography samples, but it looks like a strong contender.

mobias

This is supposedly pretty much the best compact camera money can currently buy. I've heard of professional photographers using it. http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-digital-camera-review
Don't know where that sits in your budget though.

Any of the mid range mirrorless cameras by Olympus, Sony and Fuji will give you great results and as Noddle Lizard says will let you keep interchangeable lenses as an option. Indeed you could keep hold of any Canon lenses you have as they will fit via an adapter.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: mobias on November 11, 2014, 08:55:48 AM
This is supposedly pretty much the best compact camera money can currently buy. I've heard of professional photographers using it. http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-digital-camera-review
Don't know where that sits in your budget though.

THAT'S FUCKING MASSIVE YA TWAZZOCK.

Did you mean the RX100?  That's meant to be neck & neck with the one I'm looking at (the Lumix GM1), but I think the latter suits me more despite being a little bigger on account of the interchangeable lens thing.  I also like it more because it looks vaguely like a Leica.

Quote from: mobiasas Noddle Lizard says

What are you doing?

mobias

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 11, 2014, 04:21:28 PM
THAT'S FUCKING MASSIVE YA TWAZZOCK.

Did you mean the RX100?  That's meant to be neck & neck with the one I'm looking at (the Lumix GM1), but I think the latter suits me more despite being a little bigger on account of the interchangeable lens thing.  I also like it more because it looks vaguely like a Leica.

Yes you're right I did mean the RX100. Sorry, it was early in the morning and I'd only just got up. Hadn't even had my morning coffee. My apologies. I was a bit blurry eyed.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 11, 2014, 04:21:28 PM

What are you doing?

Again sorry. I'm not at my best early in the morning. Delete delete.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: mobias on November 11, 2014, 05:58:03 PM
Yes you're right I did mean the RX100. Sorry, it was early in the morning and I'd only just got up. Hadn't even had my morning coffee. My apologies. I was a bit blurry eyed.

Again sorry. I'm not at my best early in the morning. Delete delete.

Haha, I'm just bullying you for sheer devilment.

I'm actually torn between the RX100 (MIII) and the Lumix GM1.  My DSLR is fairly cheap (Rebel T4i with a 18-135mm STM lens, cost me a bit over $1000 two and a half years ago) so paying $800 for a point-and-shoot kind of sucks.  BUT Amazon have a great deal where they'll throw in all kinds of accessories (battery charger, spare battery, case, mini-tripod etc.) for the same price as buying it on its own.  Not quite sure why, but there you go.

The Lumix is great and about $300 cheaper, BUT it also means I'll probably have to invest in other lenses as the 12-32mm it comes with probably won't do.  Also part of the reason I want a point-and-shoot is so I don't have to have anything else on me, and I have a feeling the Lumix would require me to carry around a somewhat bulkier case.  The RX100 seems to be no bigger than a smartphone.  ON THE OTHER HAND, I like the ability to change lenses.  But since I already have a DSLR, I suppose it's not essential.

I think the differences in image quality is fairly negligible overall.  I preferred the samples I've seen from the GM1, but that could be just as much down to the photographer.  A lot of the shots I've seen from the RX100 seem to just be poorly-taken rather than being indicative of the camera's abilities.

So ehhh.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Let us know what you decide so we can mock your poor choice.

And thanks for the tips!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 12, 2014, 06:30:15 AM
The Lumix is great and about $300 cheaper, BUT it also means I'll probably have to invest in other lenses as the 12-32mm it comes with probably won't do.  Also part of the reason I want a point-and-shoot is so I don't have to have anything else on me, and I have a feeling the Lumix would require me to carry around a somewhat bulkier case.  The RX100 seems to be no bigger than a smartphone.  ON THE OTHER HAND, I like the ability to change lenses.  But since I already have a DSLR, I suppose it's not essential.

I have an RX100 MkI, and it's excellent. Unless I'm using flash or doing something that needs a viewfinder or quick autofocus, I use it almost exclusively in preference to my SLR.

I don't know anything about the GM1, but I bet the ability to interchange lenses comes with a down side versus the RX100's retractable one: not being able to fit it in a trouser pocket along with a lens. I was eyeing up other small, mirrorless ILCs when I bought my RX100, but as like you I already had the SRL, ultimately the practicality of having an eminently decent camera and lens all in one complete package swung it for me. No regrets here.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 12, 2014, 11:05:53 AM
I have an RX100 MkI, and it's excellent. Unless I'm using flash or doing something that needs a viewfinder or quick autofocus, I use it almost exclusively in preference to my SLR.

I don't know anything about the GM1, but I bet the ability to interchange lenses comes with a down side versus the RX100's retractable one: not being able to fit it in a trouser pocket along with a lens. I was eyeing up other small, mirrorless ILCs when I bought my RX100, but as like you I already had the SRL, ultimately the practicality of having an eminently decent camera and lens all in one complete package swung it for me. No regrets here.

Yeah I think that's what I'll go for (Mark III, though, why not?).  Especially since I mostly like street photography which tends to be spur-of-the-moment and I can't have my DSLR with me wherever I go I will mostly be taking dick pics.

The Masked Unit

Any thoughts on the winner of landscape photographer of the year? I've never been very good at explaining what I like about artworks, but I think it's stunning.

the midnight watch baboon

Took me doggy out for a wander across Haverah Park...

Couldn't resist climbing 48% of the way up this observatory tower - part of this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haverah_Park_experiment

Pretty facken windy, rickety and swingy aroundy once up there.

Highest camera friendly viewpoint-

mobias

Quote from: The Masked Unit on November 12, 2014, 04:34:18 PM
Any thoughts on the winner of landscape photographer of the year? I've never been very good at explaining what I like about artworks, but I think it's stunning.

Yes thats a lovely shot. Looks like an oil painting. Its nice and subtle too, which is something I always go for. So many landscape shots you see winning these sorts of awards are HDR'd to buggery and have hugely over saturated colours. I also like that shot because I can relate to it. A lot of the time when I visit the Scottish Highlands or the Lake District its usually rainy, misty and generally atmospheric. That shot really captures that. Its not some overly idealised view.

The Masked Unit

The Masked Unit

Bugger, remind me how to make it fit the width of the page?

touchingcloth

[img width=600]http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-940/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/11/9/1415553699571/5cc2cbca-c100-4421-9e57-91aa2292a48d-2060x2060.jpeg[/img]

The Masked Unit

The Masked Unit

The Masked Unit

Christ, I'm a fucking idiot.

Jim_MacLaine

That award winner has definitely been processed though. Some warming going on.

The Masked Unit

Every single photograph in history has been "processed" one way or another, so I don't think you can cite that as a criticism.

Here's the photographer's explanation on what he did:

"It took five minutes. I split tone quite a bit. I have it in my head that quite often the atmosphere or mood of an image is quite specific in my head and it can be accentuated, or exaggerated if you like, by the use of split tones. I use Lightroom with a variety of presets that I use for different occasions. So I opened it up in Lightroom, looked at it and on this occasion I'd already decided that it was a square that I was after. As I'd taken the photo in portrait mode all I had to do was take a bit off the top and bottom. The D800 files are quite robust in Lightroom. I played a bit with the highlights as well to brighten the stream a little but again I just use general adjustments. I don't use Photoshop or masks...

I had a vision in my minds eye what I wanted to achieve and surprised myself by how quickly I got there. I didn't tinker after that point, I left it as it was. I did it and really liked it and I thought it was just an image for me if you like. I didn't really see that it was going to be a big popular image. I didn't put it on Flickr straight away which what I tend to upload to."

touchingcloth

You suck at width, TMU. Fantastic length, though, if I may be so bold.

The Masked Unit

Girth or length? That age old riddle.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: The Masked Unit on November 13, 2014, 11:35:29 AM
Every single photograph in history has been "processed" one way or another, so I don't think you can cite that as a criticism.

I wasn't criticising the photo.

The Masked Unit

Ok, just seemed like you were calling out some shenanigans!

Mr Eggs

It looks like a 19th century oil painting.

Is that why you like it?

greenman

Whilst it does seem to be yet another unconventional winner choosen partly to get publicity by debate I like it a lot more than most such pictures. It does look rather pre Raphaelite in terms of the detail and the colour/contrast but the composition is a lot more minimalistic than you'd expect from that, very "Japanese" in that regard I would say. Makes me want to listen to the Aguirre Wrath of God soundtrack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_hUqYYiX90

For small high quality compacts what about the new Panasonic LX100? similar sensor to the GM1 but a much faster lens that gives a 24mm equivalent at the wide end, very similar handling to the Fuji X30 with the top dials and an electronic viewfinder.

Was up in London last week and managed to get over to Highgate cemetery...

greenman

mobias

Nice landscape Greenman. Where is that?

greenman

Coaley peak looking over the Severn Vale just before sunset this evening.