Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Excellent photo greenman, keep it up

Spoon of Ploff

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

touchingcloth

All of my snaps have a dog in them lately.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on August 26, 2019, 12:29:19 AM
Taken on a Fuji X100S with Olympus VF-KL2 tele conversion lens.

How do you find the conversion lens? I keep having to mentally slap my own wrists when I catch myself looking for second hand official ones as the whole point of buying the X100 was to have a camera that I'd be more motivated to take out regularly than the SLR.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

greenman

greenman

Something less depressing.

greenman

..and back to depressing.

weekender

A photo a friend took (click for larger).  I like the clouds in this one:

Spoon of Ploff

Merry Hill after a hair cut.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A few from up in the Tatras last week

Pdine

Brian Freeze

Is that the Yorkshire sculpture park Pdine?

greenman

Throwing wildfowl into pools of mercury? A good antidote to grey skies #3,485

Cannonballs can float in mercury, so I knew the bird would be fine.

Cor, thanks. I'd been thinking of making it black and white, since it's essentially monochrome anyway. It was a lovely sunset that day though, so I left it as is (with a bit of a bump in saturation, admittedly).

I've been getting back into photography this year, after work sapped the joy out of it for a long time. This thread has been an inspiration. I just wish it weren't such an expensive hobby.

Pdine

Quote from: Brian Freeze on September 24, 2019, 05:40:55 PM
Is that the Yorkshire sculpture park Pdine?

Yes, it is. Definitely worth a visit unless you hate sculptures.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 25, 2019, 08:09:46 PM
Cor, thanks. I'd been thinking of making it black and white, since it's essentially monochrome anyway. It was a lovely sunset that day though, so I left it as is (with a bit of a bump in saturation, admittedly).

I've been getting back into photography this year, after work sapped the joy out of it for a long time. This thread has been an inspiration. I just wish it weren't such an expensive hobby.

Don't think it would have the same impact as a B&W shot personally.

In terms of money I'd say if your looking to buy that always considered used, some very good deals to be had these days as really camera performance hit a peak awhile ago and more recent models aren't gigantic improvements in most cases. A used D800 in decent condition for example can be £500 and that's a camera I'v been selling prints up to 30x20 inch from for years. Its even more true with lenses which you could argue have a bigger impact on performance and what you can shoot, buying used means you can potentially sell at a small(or someones no) loss and potentially try out alot of different options without big investment.

I must admit I do find myself wanting to branch out a bit beyond landscape shooting, its probably going to carry on being the main thing I sell for the foreseeable future but it can become a bit wearing(I'd guessing the viewing as well). Macro I spose I do a bit of for sale although I actually find the extreme end of it more limiting in composition, wildlife I'v been trying to force myself into for awhile but just doesn't seem to take(again maybe with composition more limited) and I suspect that big 300mm F/2.8 lens will probably end up on ebay soon. Street/urban shooting was probably the other area I enjoyed the most but my chances to get down to Bristol and London have become more limited recently and I'm not too keen on various gimmick shots. I spose still life is something I'v not really done a great deal of that might also be saleble although might need some investment in objects to shoot, maybe take the cheapest option and scandalise CaB with some(tasteful naturally Barry) self bodyshots beyond my hands.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Likewise. Those are some excellently moody mountains.

Quote from: greenman on September 25, 2019, 11:35:28 PM
In terms of money I'd say if your looking to buy that always considered used, some very good deals to be had these days as really camera performance hit a peak awhile ago and more recent models aren't gigantic improvements in most cases...
I'm a pauper though, so even second hand gear is a big investment. Also, I'm too lazy to sell my old stuff.

I've had a bit of a windfall recently, so naturally I immediately started looking on eBay. With the Sony A7R iv coming out soon, I've been keeping an eye out for the previous version going relatively cheap. I'm not sure about starting again with lenses, though, and using Canon lenses with an adapter can be a bit flaky, from what I've read. Then there's the question of whether full frame would really be better than APS-C. I used to find the crop sensor frame felt restrictive, but I've come to value the extra reach it gives for sports, wildlife and mega moon photography.

Then I wonder if I even need to upgrade my camera at all. I've had my 650D for several years, but I feel like I've only recently learned to get the full quality from it.