Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 26, 2019, 12:52:25 PM
Likewise. Those are some excellently moody mountains.
I'm a pauper though, so even second hand gear is a big investment. Also, I'm too lazy to sell my old stuff.

I've had a bit of a windfall recently, so naturally I immediately started looking on eBay. With the Sony A7R iv coming out soon, I've been keeping an eye out for the previous version going relatively cheap. I'm not sure about starting again with lenses, though, and using Canon lenses with an adapter can be a bit flaky, from what I've read. Then there's the question of whether full frame would really be better than APS-C. I used to find the crop sensor frame felt restrictive, but I've come to value the extra reach it gives for sports, wildlife and mega moon photography.

Then I wonder if I even need to upgrade my camera at all. I've had my 650D for several years, but I feel like I've only recently learned to get the full quality from it.

The main reasons to go FF are I'd say....

1.Image Quality - Not just megapixels but generally a larger sensor will give you better quality  with less noise and lenses not having to work as hard. I would say at base ISO your probably talking printing at A2 kind of size before this becomes notable although heavy editing can have an impact as well plus of course cropping.

2.Low Light Shooting - FF sensors are generally one and a third stops better than APSC in terms of image noise so ISO 800 on FF will look like ISO 2000 on APSC.

3.Focus control - FF also has one and a third shallower focus at the same focal length/F stop so a FF F/2 lens will have as shallow focus as an F/1.2 lens on APSC.

That does mean that if you want performance in the latter two areas then FF can actually be the better economy, a FF F/4 zoom for example will be better than an APSC F/2.8 zoom and potentially cheaper(or longer range) as well. Really depends what you want to shoot, how much you want to edit and how big you want to print if at all. Very high resolution FF sensors can potentially give you similar cropping ability to APSC as well.

In terms of picking up "last years model" I'd keep a look out on places like MPB photographic when the new one is released, often you get a glut of used bodies appearing and it forces the price down, got my D850 last years just after the Z7 came out for just over £2200 and it was about £500 more than that a couple of weeks before.

greenman

Mother nature finally getting off her arse to provide some interesting whether so I don't need to shoot mine quite yet.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The cloud shape really helps the image in the first one, drawing your eye to the horizon. Love the seeming veil of mist on it even though it's so distant.

I spent a few days in Kraków after hiking - here's some stuff:

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Pdine on September 25, 2019, 08:45:02 PM
Yes, it is. Definitely worth a visit unless you hate sculptures.

I agree, we keep threatening to go back.

Were these still on show?

Brian Freeze

I think Claudes Coot is a gorgeous image. There's far too many great photos on here to be able to comment on them all without spoiling the flow of the photos but that is one of the standouts recently.

The electric field and moon from a couple of pages back I really like too.

greenman

Yes its dull and grey again...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How did you do that? Strobing flash, or Hindu god?

Here is some non-grey grass.

And a picture I call Hoi Sin Pancakes

Quote from: Brian Freeze on September 28, 2019, 06:38:22 AM
I think Claudes Coot is a gorgeous image. There's far too many great photos on here to be able to comment on them all without spoiling the flow of the photos but that is one of the standouts recently.

The electric field and moon from a couple of pages back I really like too.
Flatter me all you want, but you'll not be having a gander at my coot.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 30, 2019, 01:31:24 PM
How did you do that? Strobing flash, or Hindu god?

Just set a 10 second exposre and kept my arm in each position for about 2 seconds infront of a bedsheet hug on a door.

Head Gardener

greenman

More interesting whether inbetween the gloom.

Spoon of Ploff

Spoon of Ploff

greenman

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on October 18, 2019, 11:09:26 AM
Noice. Looks almost like an infrared shot.

Faked infrared, a polariser and a B&W conversion playing up the greens and down the blues.

greenman

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

greenman

Downwind from Blodwyn's abode.

greenman

Head Gardener

Brian Freeze

Please post more photos New Folder.