Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:48:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Tried bringing some B&W greenman flair to the American Southwest:

Head Gardener

Visited the beautiful and very old Masonic churchyard in the village of Glamis today. The oldest stone I could find was from 1730.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: greenman on August 21, 2020, 02:56:24 PM

Where's this taken? Kind of like it but also brings to mind Alan Partridge on his ramble, pointing at leaves on the floor and saying "someone should clear all this up".

greenman

Rodborough Common, probably created by a Stroudie artist, normally its just a load of "kev waz ear" arrangements.

Head Gardener

abandoned buildings Tayport, near Dundee

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Where is best for hosting photos? A quick check of this page suggests imgur, but I went to the site and it seems to be more of a social media thing. I'd just like a simple way of managing and linking to photos. I'd use my Google Drive, but I don't think you can hotlink images with that.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 09, 2020, 11:57:35 AM
Where is best for hosting photos? A quick check of this page suggests imgur, but I went to the site and it seems to be more of a social media thing. I'd just like a simple way of managing and linking to photos. I'd use my Google Drive, but I don't think you can hotlink images with that.

It plays up that aspect but its a pretty good standard image hosting site, tends to darken shots a little in my experience but pretty good quality and obviously lets you hot link.

greenman

Bad weather means editting of more Patagonia shots from last feb.

greenman

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Cor! That's some crag is that.

How do you decide when to go monochrome? Do you just have a sense of how the finished image will look, or do you decide in post?

greenman

If I'm too lazy to get up early in the morning to get nice colours then I go monochrome.

Basically when the shot has more interesting texture to it that can be played up more with monochrome or when some of the colours might be distracting.

holyzombiejesus

This might be a thicko question but, presuming you're shooting digitally, is there a difference in shooting in monochrome and just applying a B&W/ monochrome effect to a colour photo? Wouldn't the camera have the same information and just translate it according to what kind of setting it was on?

greenman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 23, 2020, 11:57:20 PM
This might be a thicko question but, presuming you're shooting digitally, is there a difference in shooting in monochrome and just applying a B&W/ monochrome effect to a colour photo? Wouldn't the camera have the same information and just translate it according to what kind of setting it was on?

Most people(and me) these days would shoot in colour at the time and then convert to B&W afterwards, means you have more options in terms of choosing the conversion, weighing the brightness level of each colour.

greenman

My attempt at recreating one of those swing lens panorama cameras...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Some oddities while out and about (not necessarily great photos)

greenman

The first one especially is a very good shot.

Endicott

Quote from: greenman on October 24, 2020, 01:59:03 AM
Most people(and me) these days would shoot in colour at the time and then convert to B&W afterwards, means you have more options in terms of choosing the conversion, weighing the brightness level of each colour.

Sometimes I'll go out with the intention of shooting B&W, and I'll set the camera jpg to B&W, which sets the view finder to B&W, and helps me with composition. Because I'm crap at working out the difference and not being distracted by colour. But the RAW file is still in colour and if I don't like the jpg I can still process the RAW file, either in colour or B&W as I see fit.

greenman

Quote from: Endicott on October 28, 2020, 01:57:18 PM
Sometimes I'll go out with the intention of shooting B&W, and I'll set the camera jpg to B&W, which sets the view finder to B&W, and helps me with composition. Because I'm crap at working out the difference and not being distracted by colour. But the RAW file is still in colour and if I don't like the jpg I can still process the RAW file, either in colour or B&W as I see fit.

Yeah that does seem popular although these days I don't do it much because the end product B&W image is generally going to have so much manipulation on it that the preview isn't much help.