Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

Very eerie and beautiful. Nice

Head Gardener

my recent pic has won this weeks photo competition in the local Chronicle & Echo,
shame they lopped off the bottom which I thought was the best bit, as a car about to pass
illuminated the grass on the verge!

paper copy

and the original

tsk...

Mr_Simnock

Well at least we all now know your called Shane..

Some more well known Shane's

Head Gardener

yeah, cats outta the bag eh? the shame... still, if you google image my name you get a nice pic of me
holding a handful of magic mushrooms before you were born (probably) so I guess it's not all bad

touchingcloth

Pdine

Sean Connery says name of a Californian prison.

greenman

I do have to say I preffer the paper's crop to the original, simpler composition with the most interesting parts of the picture still there.

Noodle Lizard

Having a hard time denoising this one, any tips?  All the basic toolbars in Lightroom make her look a bit Michael Jackson.

greenman

I haven't got much experience of using more advanced noise removal tools(probably 90% of what I shoot is ISO 100, the other 10% generally not higher than ISO 800) but what about adding in some artificial noise after the smoothing of the denoising? obviously gets read of the chroma(colour) noise and I find random or Gaussian noise patterns tend to look less distracting than those produced by sensors as well, maybe with a very small amount of blur(say 0.5% or less) added afterwards to smooth out the artificial noise a bit more.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 09, 2014, 08:37:32 AM
Having a hard time denoising this one, any tips?  All the basic toolbars in Lightroom make her look a bit Michael Jackson.

Got photoshop? I can't see much noise because of the downsizing, but I'm guessing using the sliders in Lightroom you can get her face and hair pleasingly noise-free, but the background and her jacket and other dark areas look a bit like shit? Anyway, if you have access to photoshop you could use luminosity masks to apply different levels of noise reduction to the light and dark areas. Hard to say how successful that would be without seeing exactly how noisy the original is, but given how clean the downsize is I reckon you'd have some luck.

wasp_f15ting

Noodle Lizard

I'm fortunate enough to live next door to a waterfall, which has been going mental as a result of last night and this morning's rain.  Haven't had time to process them yet, but here are some of my favz:

Head Gardener

pics I took at last nights panto Beauty & The Beast - my wife played Belladonna the Wicked Sorceress

Neomod

A seasonal shot taken amongst the foothills of the Little Carpathians.

Noodle Lizard

Ah that's lovely.  In't that lovely?

*sips mug of steaming hot cocoa*

Neomod

A seasonal shot of Glasgow's Necropolis.

See if you can spot Brian 'Limmy' Limmond recreating the classic 'pointing' sketch.

greenman

Went back to a shot I took at the edge of the flooded llanberis quarry last year and did a B&W conversion, a couple of others taken yesterday as well.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

mobias

Do any photographers here who try and sell their work have a Facebook artists page for their photos? I'm just in the middle of setting mine up after loads of people telling me I really should have one by now and that there's a lot of business that can be had via Facebook. I'm just wondering if getting 1000's of likes for your page actually equates to anything in the real world or is all pretty much just a vanity project like Flickr is for most photographers?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: mobias on December 28, 2014, 01:55:45 PM
Do any photographers here who try and sell their work have a Facebook artists page for their photos? I'm just in the middle of setting mine up after loads of people telling me I really should have one by now and that there's a lot of business that can be had via Facebook. I'm just wondering if getting 1000's of likes for your page actually equates to anything in the real world or is all pretty much just a vanity project like Flickr is for most photographers?

I think smugmug.com is a better bet because it allows people to buy your photos directly for a set price (which you decide for each photo) and also has a nice layout and good image quality compared to Facebook.  Only problem is it's a subscription service, meaning you'll pay an annual fee, so I guess it's a case of weighing that up against how much you expect to make from it.  I'd assume it'd increase your chances of a sale significantly, though, and it is a good portfolio.

greenman

Quote from: mobias on December 28, 2014, 01:55:45 PM

I'v got a facebook page with some of my photography on but honestly I'v put the vast majority of my efforts into physical sales, selling prints from a stall or getting them on walls or in browers in shops/hotels. I'v given out a good number of business cards but very little business has come via the net(only actual businesses interested generally) as mostly there either just a reminder to visit my stall again or people use the phone number.

My feeling is that the general public have a rather unrealistic view of the net as some kind of small business goldmine. Theres money to me made no doubt but it would likely take a significant amount of effort/skill/luck to do it. My advice would me try and find somewhere local you can sell physical prints that doesn't cost the earth and start small. If possible try and make it somewhere people would actually go looking to buy arts/crafts, café walls might be easier to get but sales are likely to be limited. The best bets are I would say some kind of arts co-op shop or stall where your not going to have to pay everything yourself.

In terms of sales services I believe Photobox have one as well although I'm not sure I would recommend them, I use them to buy my stock(pro prints mostly) but they probably mess up something every other order, they'll reprint for free without any hassle which isn't a problem for me but I wouldn't want to sell a product direct though them.

Mr_Simnock

Out on a walk today, grabbed some snaps in the nice afternoon low sunset light

mobias

Quote from: greenman on December 28, 2014, 03:48:58 PM

My feeling is that the general public have a rather unrealistic view of the net as some kind of small business goldmine.

Yes I think thats definitely true. A couple of years ago I was speaking to Scottish landscape photographer who took a lot of seriously lovely shots of the Scottish highlands. He had a huge profile on Flickr, was a featured photographer on the flickr front page and would get hundreds of comments underneath each photo he posted. I asked him what all that equated too in terms of sales and he replied basically zero. He'd maybe get 3 or 4 orders for prints per year. Places like Flickr seem to be kept afloat with tales of the occasional lucky photographer selling the rights to an image to an agency for serious money but thats very much the exception and not the rule.

Its also definitely true that as a photographer its much better to get something tangible like a nicely framed print into a gallery. Thats the sort of thing to aim for I think.

greenman

Quote from: mobias on December 28, 2014, 08:17:45 PM
Yes I think thats definitely true. A couple of years ago I was speaking to Scottish landscape photographer who took a lot of seriously lovely shots of the Scottish highlands. He had a huge profile on Flickr, was a featured photographer on the flickr front page and would get hundreds of comments underneath each photo he posted. I asked him what all that equated too in terms of sales and he replied basically zero. He'd maybe get 3 or 4 orders for prints per year. Places like Flickr seem to be kept afloat with tales of the occasional lucky photographer selling the rights to an image to an agency for serious money but thats very much the exception and not the rule.

Its also definitely true that as a photographer its much better to get something tangible like a nicely framed print into a gallery. Thats the sort of thing to aim for I think.

One issue with somewhere like FlickR I would say is that its mostly photographers browsing it, I can tell you from experience that serious photographers don't buy other photographers work, if I get into a conservation with someone about gear I know theres no sale at the end of it(one browser draws others though). Generally though praise is much easier to come by that someone actually willing to put there money where the mouth is, I'v  sold maybe 100ish prints in the last 14 months I'v been taking it seriously but that's still a very small percentage of the complimentary browsers.

I would say in a lot of ways the shear ubiquity of the net and the digitisation of photography has actually increased the value of showing someone a nice large print. The problem is finding a middle ground between somewhere like a café where sales will be limited and a gallery/shop where wall space/commission is going to be sky high meaning your going to have to charge a hell of a lot to make any money yourself.

Subject wise the main advice I would give is "local sells", probably 90% of what I'v sold was taken within 10 miles of where I sold it.

greenman

Neomod

With regard to Flickr and money making I did get a shot of the Hundertwasser House featured in some Vienna travel App. Didn't see any cash though.

A visit to chilly Brighton today.