Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

frosty morning at the allotments

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Have you been glueing dogs together?

greenman

I'm thinking some kind of rudimentary chariot might cut down the walking I need to do with them.

thraxx

Quote from: greenman on January 14, 2015, 01:53:46 PM

That's one hell of steaming turd there:  the food in La Palma must be horrific.

Head Gardener

Aston Villa v Liverpool at Villa Park yesterday, my lad in the first pic took all these

A view of the Isle of Wight from the mainland. The good technical aspects of this photo are that it's in focus and the horizon is sort of level. The bad bits: everything else[nb]Maximum digital zoom on a Galaxy S3, hence the digital artefacts[/nb].

Nonetheless, from front to back: Bramble hedge / a field full of winter wheat and geeses coming inland for their supper / some cliffs made of mud / The Solent / that cargo ship that got grounded on a sandbank and which is now being secured by tugs and pumped out / the Isle of Wight.

No zoom:

RDRR

Fun adjustment period. Reckon it's probably bad form to have cut off that left-hand Bit of the Thing in the second one, but I'm no photographer/farmhand.

greenman

The gods of composition will show there displeasure on you.

Cerys

I never realised the sea was that furry!

This is one my brother took of Jupiter and four of its moons -

The Masked Unit

Quote from: greenman on January 23, 2015, 03:51:17 PM
The gods of composition will show there displeasure on you.

Out of interest, what was the shutter speed on that?

greenman

Half a second but with very bright reflections on the sea to pick out the lines, needed a 9 stop ND filter.

The same filter put to use today..

Fabian Thomsett

I think I pressed the Better Than Life button on my canon.

Cerys

The Masked Unit

Quote from: greenman on January 28, 2015, 03:53:13 PM
Half a second but with very bright reflections on the sea to pick out the lines, needed a 9 stop ND filter.

It's a really interesting image. The way the water looks fur-like is like what you'd expect from intentional camera movement, but the form of the actual waves suggests the camera's position was fixed?

mobias

I see the megapixel race is back on. Canon have just announced the 50mp 5Ds and Sony are about to announce a 50mp A7rII. People with shares in SanDisk are no doubt rejoicing.

http://www.canonwatch.com/cw5-image-specs-canon-5ds-5ds-r-leaked-50mp-sensor/

touchingcloth

Quote from: mobias on January 30, 2015, 12:25:31 PM
I see the megapixel race is back on. Canon have just announced the 50mp 5Ds and Sony are about to announce a 50mp A7rII. People with shares in SanDisk are no doubt rejoicing.

http://www.canonwatch.com/cw5-image-specs-canon-5ds-5ds-r-leaked-50mp-sensor/

"Another surprise is the relatively small ISO range, topping at ISO 6400"

I can't see many opting for pixel count over ISO range, given that that has long been one of the major advantages of full frame over APS sensors. That said, I'd imagine that push processing a frame shot at 6400 by four stops and scaling down to 20MP would look pretty close to a 5D mkII image shot at 25600...

mobias

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 30, 2015, 01:41:37 PM

I can't see many opting for pixel count over ISO range, given that that has long been one of the major advantages of full frame over APS sensors.

I suppose these cameras will be well and truly aimed at landscape and fashion photographers who get large scale prints made of their work and for whom high ISO performance isn't really a necessity. Sounds like high end cameras are going to get more and more specific to certain roles. Image noise has always been a problem with high mega pixel sensors but I guess the tech is now at a place where the big camera manufacturers think its viable to make 35mm sensors at 50mp.

touchingcloth

I'm surprised to see it in a 5D body, given that, as you say, the need for a 50MP sensor is limited to people producing huge prints who would either own a 1D or, more likely, would hire or be provided with a medium format system suitable for the job.

It's totally a return to the megapixel war rather than something which consumers actually need, as far as I can see. Canon finally caving to the endless snarking from Nikon users about how their prosumer full frame bodies have had 2,000,000MP sensors for a decade.

mobias

I suppose it is well and truly being aimed at all the Canon landscape photographers out there. Judging by what I see on Flickr the 5D does seem to be the camera of choice for a lot of prosumer landscape photographers. Its got to be the biggest selling full frame camera, by quite a margin I would think. I guess Canon need a major new selling point for it and a larger sensor is the obvious way to go.

greenman

Quote from: The Masked Unit on January 29, 2015, 01:45:43 PM
It's a really interesting image. The way the water looks fur-like is like what you'd expect from intentional camera movement, but the form of the actual waves suggests the camera's position was fixed?

The camera is on a tripod, its the combination of the very bright reflections and the sea flowing over some rocks in a steady pattern that gives the effect I guess.

Interesting to see the megapixel race kick off again although honestly I'm not sure I could really justify moving beyond my current D800 in the short term(assuming the sensor ends up with Nikon as well if its Sony produced) as I would say the benefit would really only start to be that notable above A2 that I don't print/sell very often anyway.

You could argue Canon are well set up for this camera, the 24-70mm F/2.8 they have is very sharp by all accounts as are the 17mm and 24mm TS-E lenses plus I would guess the new 11-24mm F/4 is as well. Sony don't seem nearly as well setup for me as only the 55mm 1.8 seems to really perform well with the current 36 MP sensor.

mobias

Been a bit bleak up here in Edinburgh for any photography. Just waiting patiently for Spring to arrive. Quickly grabbed this shot with my iPhone of the tram tracks at Edinburgh's west end catching the late afternoon sunset.

Noodle Lizard

Isn't 50MP a huge waste of time to almost anyone who doesn't exhibit their photographs on huge canvases in art galleries (even then, people managed perfectly fine without)?  It's like this recent obsession with shooting video in 4K or above - it's simply not necessary for 99% of footage shot.  Though if you have the money, sure, why not.

And I'd love to get my hands on any one of the Sony A7 series.  The video footage that camera produces is unbelievably nice, better than the (more expensive and commonly-used) 5D I reckon.  Sony are quickly becoming the go-to for cameras, it seems.  Even semi-professional film crews are opting for the Sony F3/35 over the REDs because it's significantly more affordable and produces images comparable to the Alexa.

Every Sony product I've had has been lovely.  If anything my RX100iii takes better photos than my Canon DSLR (650D) with its STM lens, despite being cheaper to buy new and being a fraction of the size.

mobias

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 31, 2015, 09:24:09 AM

I'd love to get my hands on any one of the Sony A7 series. 

I've got an A7 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Best camera I've ever owned and nows a great time to get one now that the A7II is out. They've come down in price as brand new cameras plus there's the inevitable glut of them on eBay as some owners want to upgrade to the new version.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 31, 2015, 09:24:09 AM

Sony are quickly becoming the go-to for cameras, it seems.

When I'm out and about with my A7 I certainly get some interest from other photographers asking questions about it. The higher performing A7S seems to be the one people are most interested in. The incredible ISO performance is really selling it and somewhat ironically people are actually attracted to the fact its only got a 12mp sensor.

Sony apparently have a high end 50mp A9 camera in development. It'll be interesting to see what its like. There's also rumours of a low end A5 which would be the cheapest full frame camera on the market.

In the broader picture I think a lot of serious photographers are slowly coming round to the fact that the DSLR is really a dying format. Mirrorless technology is moving forward so quickly and offers so many benefits. I guess Sony are at the forefront of pushing it. There's been a lot written recently about how Nikon and particularly Canon have their heads buried in the sand as far as the mirrorless revolution is concerned. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.   

Neomod

The Hayward at night on London's glamorous southbank