Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:17:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Steven on June 08, 2018, 06:20:56 PM
Oh, I went for a long walk through the Cheshire countryside yesterday and wandered into a village called Soughall. I was walking along the pavement then saw that thing in the corner of my eye - froze and almost shit myself, until I turned and realised it wasn't a person but some depraved form of scarecrow, with Cliff Richard's grimacing face staring directly at me. Further along I saw many more freaky scarecrows in front gardens and outside shops - a Bad-era Michael Jackson for instance - and realised they've got some weird Scarecrow festival going on there. Nothing freaked me out quite like old 'Cliff', though.

Ahhh... Head Gardener has given us some scarecrow gems before:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,45102.630.html

Hoping for more papier-mâché nightmares this year.

Head Gardener

ah I love Scarecrow Festivals - next one here is September though - but this was my lad & Ruby on a walk this afternoon

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Springtime on Leeds liverpool canal

RDRR

Spoon of Ploff

Finally got to the Shape of Light exhibition at that there Tate Modern. Some interesting stuff, including a lot of cameraless photography. Price of tickets a bit steep, but hey.. gotta treat yerself once in a while.

Tempted to shout "This is my domain!!" in top Brian Blessed mode.

Steven

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 16, 2018, 05:17:48 PM
Tempted to shout "This is my domain!!" in top Brian Blessed mode.

Cameras and Abstract Art? Flash! AAA-AH! "Gorky's alive!"

Head Gardener

what a difference 2 months make, Ruby doesn't even want to sit on the lawn anymore

Head Gardener

this morning at The Racecourse in Northampton

greenman

Nikon playing to persuade my to update to a mirrorless camera in vague kubrickian fashion, perhaps hinting you can smash a rival over the head with it and then hurl it into the air in celebration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZZkw8d5a4

Spoon of Ploff

At least it matches the carpet:

Norton Canes

Head Gardener

Lost Oliver

Do we have a general art and shit thread? I mean it's probably staring me right in the face but I just can't see it.

Worryingly, I also feel like I've asked this question before, got an answer and subsequently forgot.

Lost Oliver

I'm talking to post stuff like this

Escaping criticism
Pere Borrell del Caso

Head Gardener

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 27, 2018, 01:26:33 PM
Do we have a general art and shit thread? I mean it's probably staring me right in the face but I just can't see it.

Worryingly, I also feel like I've asked this question before, got an answer and subsequently forgot.

start a new thread & then get told off, shit happens

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 27, 2018, 01:27:54 PM
I'm talking to post stuff like this

Escaping criticism
Pere Borrell del Caso

Ban this sick filth!!

greenman

There was some talk of an art sub form wasn't there?

greenman

Spoon of Ploff

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on August 01, 2018, 02:28:48 PM
Fusty old crock or does he have speak truths?...

I don't feel that video correctly articulates Wenders' feelings about photography or why he believes its dead.

I saw the exhibition in London and there was quite a bit (unsurprisingly) about his thoughts and there had been quite a few articles and interviews, which touched upon this. Although Wenders comments tie in nicely about mobile phones, I don't feel it's correct to say that it's exclusively related. Part of what Wenders is decrying is accessibility – he's not alone in this, photography or otherwise. (I remember one online discussion when someone was complaining about a new video editing software release and eventually, they confessed that their main issue was that the ease of use meant there could be less demand for his professional services).

Also, I inferred that Wenders belief in the death of photography is very much something that reflects his own tastes – he lost interest in photography a good long time ago.

Personally, I didn't buy into Wenders belief for various reasons, but his opinions were food for thought and found them interesting to ponder over – so if anyone is interested, recommend they see if they can look at any articles, as this video is a little slight in comparsion.

greenman

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 01, 2018, 03:06:39 PM
I don't feel that video correctly articulates Wenders' feelings about photography or why he believes its dead.

I saw the exhibition in London and there was quite a bit (unsurprisingly) about his thoughts and there had been quite a few articles and interviews, which touched upon this. Although Wenders comments tie in nicely about mobile phones, I don't feel it's correct to say that it's exclusively related. Part of what Wenders is decrying is accessibility – he's not alone in this, photography or otherwise. (I remember one online discussion when someone was complaining about a new video editing software release and eventually, they confessed that their main issue was that the ease of use meant there could be less demand for his professional services).

Also, I inferred that Wenders belief in the death of photography is very much something that reflects his own tastes – he lost interest in photography a good long time ago.

Personally, I didn't buy into Wenders belief for various reasons, but his opinions were food for thought and found them interesting to ponder over – so if anyone is interested, recommend they see if they can look at any articles, as this video is a little slight in comparsion.

I would say the talk about prints is perhaps not as simple as it seems as well. If your talking about enlargements to hang on the wall then I'd guess if anything the reverse people are making more of those than ever before as the prices are far lower. What ever seeing less of is smaller prints being made and the comparison between them and viewing on a screen is I think a bit more complex, they can be permanent I spose but also quite temporary.

I do tend to think the best path to advancing photography is to start simple, use a phone and use filters, don't bother about technical complexity as you learn composition and lighting then when you desire more control/quality potentially buy a dedicated camera and more advanced editing softwear. The net is full of fusty middle aged men with expensive gear they struggle to use.

Endicott

You should frame that and hang it on your wall, it's a cracker.

greenman

Hopefully persuade a few other people to do so, been taking variations on that shot for about 5 years and that's probably the best sunset yet.