Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Motorsport Thread (Part 2)

Started by Ambient Sheep, November 12, 2014, 03:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Well, after nine years, it seems that the original thread has finally been locked for size, so here's a new one. :-)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I would say let's try to beat that but the way F1 is going, there could be a problem.

PAGATRON

Get in Lewis, great drive WDC 2014!!!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Possible worst livery of all time.

Thankfully only for testing.

Bleeding Kansas

I don't know about that...

In other livery news, I like that the new McLaren has red on it again.

Now I will be able to recognise it this year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Looks OK from some angles, but...this...:

Looks like Dumbo with go faster stripes.

Ambient Sheep

Oh bugger...

Grandprix.com - Force India may miss Melbourne opener?

QuoteRalf Bach, a correspondent for Sport Bild and TZ Munchen who now writes on his own blog f1-insider.com, said he has learned that Force India's Jerez absence is "because it has no monocoque" for the new VJM08 car.

He said Force India has not been delivered the 2015 monocoque by carbon supplier EOM "because bills have not been paid".

Bach claims Force India's overall debts are in the order of 50 million euros, including engine and tyre suppliers Mercedes and Pirelli.

"Making the season opener in Melbourne is now virtually impossible," Bach quoted a team source as saying.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Force India without fail throw up these financial issues pre-season, so this is not new.

We already knew they were not testing in Jerez because of the absence of a new monocoque, making it expensive and not worthwhile. Jerez itself is not known for being as informative a circuit for testing as Catalunya.

For the time being I remain hopeful.

Ambient Sheep

Not really much in it about Motorsport, but there was a fascinating interview with Max Mosley in yesterday's Observer that deserves a wider audience.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/14/max-mosley-interview-fifty-shades-of-grey-news-of-the-world

PAGATRON

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, RIP. Horrible protracted nature (and then everything going silent for the last 6 months) of what was an inevitability. Some great tributes, but I'm afraid the legacy of his crash will be more tiptoeing and caution in wet races when what happened to him was a corollary of his decision to apply brake and throttle at once, and the pure fucking bad luck of aquaplaning directly towards that truck.

The only thing they needed to change was not having recovery vehicles on track during wet races - F1 cars are designed to hit one another, not to hit large trucks, therefore the presence of prone cars out on track is safer than the presence of marshalls and recovery vehicles out on track recovering them. There have been races in the past (Spa, Interlagos, Magny Cours) where they've left crashed cars out on track even in the path of where people were going off, because there were too many to actually recover all at once. I feel we need a new race director but this is F1, it doesn't get more jobs for the boys than this sport.

It seemed like he was a lovely guy and would have been great to find out his true potential.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/55667788/63167/Tilke-hits-back-at-criticism

Speaking of jobs for the boys, more arse covering by a terrible track designer.

His best tracks- ie - Austin and Istanbul are essentially composites of tracks designed by other people.

QuoteWe try to create corners where overtaking is possible. The simplest way is a long straight followed by a sharp corner, which creates a long break zone.

Yes we've noticed that feature.

Good tracks have

- Changes of camber and height, particularly for chicanes and corner entry.
- Wide corner entries which allow different and potentially equally quick ways of taking them, and also allow the fight to continue into the next corner- Tilke is not bad at this but his track layouts have no sense of an evolution of a scrap, so often the next section will be another of his 'technical chicanes' which are pointless and never involve any excitement. Interlagos is a great example where every previous and coming corner complements the last one. It's something Tilke seems incapable of thinking about.
-An overtaking point and exciting section where most of the crowd are. Tilke's 5 mile long back straights are usually the furthest point away from the crowd, and have a gigantic grandstand no-one's sitting in, because like all architects his primary drive is hubris.
-Risk - Tilkedromes infamous tarmac run-off areas carry no penalties for people who make mistakes, and add to the sterilised and artificial feel of the sport

Tilke is obviously right that the regulations are hurting excitement in the sport, but his own responsibility for awful circuits like Yas Marina, India, China....Sochi (oh my god that's bad), Korea seems to be overlooked. Citing Bahrain for having 3 exciting races out of a dozen- or in his case citing a single example- is not exactly proving a point. I don't think Bahrain is that bad (though the year they ran the longer layout was dreadful).

It's telling that after decades of opportunity to make his mark on the sport, everyone's favourite races are still Canada, Great Britain, Italy, Belgium, Japan and Brazil. That's not the car's fault Hermann, it's yours.

PAGATRON

Jules funeral

Out of all the F1 drivers only Kimi and Fernando didn't turn up, understandable, Sometimes the pain is just too much.

Ciao Jules

Ambient Sheep

Good words about it from Joe Saward here.

PAGATRON

What a sad couple of months for motorsport R.I.P. Justin Wilson.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Gutted to read the news this morning. As usual I assumed he was going to recover, but we're in a bad run of things these last few years. Indy Car especially did not need that.

RIP Justin, I enjoyed watching you race.

Ambient Sheep

While fact-checking a comment I was writing elsewhere, I came across the following 2013 online publication of a 2008 Motorsport magazine article.  It concerns the events leading up to Damon Hill being dropped by Williams at the end of 1996.

Sadly, the article fails to live up to its opening hype that "aside from the basic facts, much of it has never been told before", as to be honest there was almost fuck-all I'd never heard before.  I think only Damon's 1996 convo with the journalist concerned (who broke the scoop), and Damon's amusing look back on that now, was new.  Oh, and the info about when Frank ACTUALLY told him.  So, "a little bit of it has never been told before" might have been more accurate.

Nevertheless, it's a good article, and should be enlightening for anybody who wasn't following the sport at the time.

Motorsport magazine - Damon Hill's fall from grace at Williams

It also contains the following class photo:

Doesn't Patrick look young?!

Ambient Sheep

Lovely little snippet from Joe Saward's excellent Notebook from Japan regarding Max Mosley and a certain gullible F1 writer...

QuoteHowever, the prize for the least likely story of the weekend goes to former FIA President Max Mosley who had some fun by convincing a naive journalist, who likes to think he understands the sport, that F1 cars could be fitted with ejector seats. The hack swallowed this story hook, line and sinker, clearly unaware of the operational restrictions of both Formula 1 cars and ejector seats. One idea suggested in the F1 Press Room in Suzuka was that the hack in question should do a test with the system on the circuit, just after the Degner Curve, where the track passes beneath the start of the 130R Corner – or in the tunnel at Monaco.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well, the Sochi GP was a pleasant surprise, extremely eventful and the best last lap for a long while (similar to Canada last year, incidentally also involving Perez trying to hang out a long tyre stint). Once in a while the sport will remind you just how fantastic it can be. There was something inevitable about Raikkonen's last ditch effort. Feel so sorry for Bottas though as he was on the verge of saving a podium after a dud strategy.

This Red Bull saga though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34513738

It's pathetic. Firstly, Ferrari did actually offer Red Bull an engine, just not on terms they were happy with, secondly, Red Bull shouldn't have spent the last 2 years criticizing Renault if they had no plan B. It's a fucking joke!

We don't even know for sure whether Renault are going to take over Lotus yet. If that doesn't happen and the Bulls pull out of the sport then we're left with 16 cars, even with Haas coming in, and even if Manor drag out their involvement into next year.

Ambient Sheep

Yeah... some of the comments on Joe Saward's blog entry about the situation last Friday are downright hilarious (and some of them very insightful to boot).

His post earlier that day makes it very clear that Ferrari did indeed offer engines... but not on terms that Red Bull would accept.

His latest situation update, posted today, can be found here.

Blumf

Haven't they left it a bit late to nail down engines for next year? They really have cocked it up haven't they.

Ambient Sheep

Especially as Ferrari then withdrew their offer (although apparently Toro Rosso WILL be running Ferrari engines next year, but opinion is divided as to whether they will be 2015 or 2016 models; in the latter case they would be detuned compared to Ferrari's own).

PAGATRON

Plus won't the cars have to be redesigned to suit any new PU? That takes some time and resource to get the synergy right, maybe they were better off sticking with Renault.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I trust everyone heard Christian Horner being asked to remark on criticism of Red Bull by Eddie Jordan, replying "..that's Eddie talking out of his arse as usual" live on BBC. A throwback to old F1 there.

im barry bethel

Danny Kent

DANNY KENT

DANNY FUCKING KENT

DANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENTDANNY KENT

[nb]it's pronounced Lay-o-pard[/nb]

PAGATRON

Blumf

Something those weirdo two-wheel perverts are interested in I think.

im barry bethel

Danny Kent

DANNY KENT

DANNY FUCKING KENT

DANNY KENT DANNY KENT DANNY KENT DANNY KENT DANNY KENT
DANNY KENT DANNY KENT BARRY SHEENE DANNY KENT DANNY KENT