Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Motorsport Thread (Part 2)

Started by Ambient Sheep, November 12, 2014, 03:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote"The safety cars do not aqua plane anything like a grand prix car would, they are able to cut through the water where a grand prix car would be lifted up."

More startling insights from Mr. Coulthard.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm pretty sure everyone watching is aware road cars use tyres with tread and have a far a higher ride height than an F1 car.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hah, qualifying right on the limit, but more than that, I have been loving the shots of American pensioners in their wet weather gear grimly perched on their fold out chairs on the grass banks being absolutely pelted with rain. Wonderful. Trout Hatchery.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So, a triple world champion, and that was the easiest title win by a Brit since 1992 and Nigel Mansell I reckon, though ultimately that was the culmination of a career. This feels like it could be anything from the last to one of many more.

When Lewis got number two it felt deserved after years of trying since 2008. This, rather like most of Vettels was an unmemorable stroll in the park in comparison.

Let's see how his motivation is over the next year.

Ted-Maul

I've never been a fan but Hamilton deserves to finish with more titles than Vettel. He's been the outright quickest driver for years now with only Alonso being mentioned in the same breath for skill.

I'm sure a hard-fought, down to the wire Championship victory (like 2008) feels more rewarding to win but i'm sure Hamilton will be happy just to tick off a couple more seasons as top dog in the best car with no real competition. I know I would be.

Rosberg has never really recovered from the crowd booing him on the podium last year. He seems like a nice bloke and probably couldnt hack being seen as the bad guy. Then he started feeling sorry for himself and now he's totally lost the psychological with his teammate. It's a shame cos he's a good driver.... not many drivers could go toe to toe with Hamilton in qualifying the way he has done in the past.

So who else cn challenge? Maybe Vettel if Ferrari keep improving but everyone elses efforts seem to be falling shot. Maybe Haas will do a Brawn and Grosjean will be champion next year....

Blumf

Happy to see Hammy win, but it just sucks the way that one team always seems to have far and away the best car for the season and that's it. They really need to free up the regs for in-season work. Yeah, 'money', but F1 will always be expensive. However, currently it's just the teams that can buy the most experienced designers/engineers who stand a chance, no room to learn, especially for the suppliers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Free up the regs or alternatively change the formula to make it very affordable to enter.

F1 tends to change things at least a year or two late so you have the silly effect of only having 4/5 out of ten years where the front running car has competition and is genuinely beaten for pace at certain events. Every good intention tends to have no regard for the consequences. The hybrid engines are cutting edge but ridiculously expensive, in the middle of a period where only half the teams on the grid haven't got serious financial difficulties.

I don't know about you but I have a strong suspicion the Singapore Grand Prix results were fixed. Mercedes gave no convincing reasons why their pace was down that considerably.

PAGATRON

Regs won't change for next year so Lewis bag that one as well, 2017 are the big changes so we might see a Merc vs Ferrari battle.
Even McLaren might be up there so a Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso battle royale looks well tasty.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hmm, wouldn't count on anything really. Nico has shown himself to be inferior over the long haul but he's also had rotten luck this year while Hamilton has been virtually bullet proof. If Lewis loses motivation and Nico's level returns to 2014 level it'll be closer.

Also the regs didn't change much since last year but Ferrari, with Vettel anyway have closed up, and a further similar level of progress should see them challenge much more next year.

Most of us are agreed it will at least be a bit more competitive next year barring a colossal fuckup from Ferrari.

Do any of us know what's going to happen to Red Bull either? Not really, so let's wait and see, they could be the big surprise next year.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Blumf on October 28, 2015, 12:07:11 AM
Happy to see Hammy win, but it just sucks the way that one team always seems to have far and away the best car for the season and that's it. They really need to free up the regs for in-season work. Yeah, 'money', but F1 will always be expensive. However, currently it's just the teams that can buy the most experienced designers/engineers who stand a chance, no room to learn, especially for the suppliers.

I'd expect the in season testing to be relaxed (possibly the condition for Renault to supply RedBull next year) otherwise VAG (if they can sort their emissions shit out) Ford or even Honda aren't going to risk devaluing their brand looking like incompetents.

Of course if you want to see real racing instead of who's engineer can remotely pilot their potentiometer the best you know what to do...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://planetf1.com/news/force-india-to-be-rebranded-as-aston-martin/

This will be a weird one.

Indian formula one team whose cars are designed and built in the UK and use Mercedes engines to call themselves Aston Martin, a former British sportscar manufacturer.

One more obvious connection is Dave Richards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Richards_%28racing%29 although given he stepped away from Aston Martin a couple of years ago, I'm still struggling with the joins. Do Ford still own enough of Aston Martin for this to be a step towards rejoining the sport?

And of course the team itself have gone from Jordan -> Midland -> Spyker -> Force India in a relatively short space of time.

im barry bethel

Ford sold off Aston when they slimmed down, I think Daimler bought a big chunk a year or so ago so it would explain the Mercedes connection, probably just a branding exercise

Blumf

Yeah, the AM road cars will be using Merc AMG based engines in the future so that link makes enough sense. And AM are looking at matching Ferrari in branding terms so an F1 presence also makes sense. What doesn't make sense, is risking the Aston Martin brand with a mid-pack team. Maybe, with Mercedes F1 help, they'll give it a kick up the arse but that seems like a big job.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 31, 2015, 11:13:08 AM
http://planetf1.com/news/force-india-to-be-rebranded-as-aston-martin/

This will be a weird one.

Indian formula one team whose cars are designed and built in the UK and use Mercedes engines to call themselves Aston Martin, a former British sportscar manufacturer.

One more obvious connection is Dave Richards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Richards_%28racing%29 although given he stepped away from Aston Martin a couple of years ago, I'm still struggling with the joins. Do Ford still own enough of Aston Martin for this to be a step towards rejoining the sport?

And of course the team itself have gone from Jordan -> Midland -> Spyker -> Force India in a relatively short space of time.

I was about to say "I'll believe it when Joe Saward reports it", then I go and check and he just has, so now I believe it. :-)

The article is very dry, but should help to explain the joins.

No mention of David Richards/Prodrive, except that in reply to a commentor on another topic regarding Manor (their sad situation covered in more detail here) Joe says "No it is not. Nothing to [do] with him."  That was regarding Manor, but by implication also the new Force India deal too, otherwise he would have said so given the questioner mentioned them.

Am rather sad about what's happening to Manor (whatever it is).  Booth and Lowden have been through so much and struggled so hard to get the team half-decently respectable, and now they're being booted out, it appears.  Grim.

Ambient Sheep

The last comment (at the moment) on Joe's Manor thread makes me highly nervous:

QuoteWhy does it feel like after all this has played out, Red Bull will have a Mercedes power unit in the back of their car?

Shit, yes.  Would explain a lot.

Although hopefully the engine supply contract will have some sort of "change of ownership" clause in it.  Then again, that depends on how the ownership is managed exactly...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The saddest thing is how Manor were lied to in the first place- shown themselves to be very professional but on a budget that has proven to be fictional.

Red Bull may have propped up the sport for a few years (inc. Toro Rosso) but they've prpven to be hypocritical and quite nasty treacherous cunts when it's come to it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 02, 2015, 06:41:20 PM
The saddest thing is how Manor were lied to in the first place- shown themselves to be very professional but on a budget that has proven to be fictional.

There's been lots of speculation, which I found rather plausible myself, that Stephen Fitzpatrick simply paid the £30m to get in, in order to get the £40m winnings from last year paid out, and then buggers off, £10m the richer.  (That might explain why Bernie was giving them no airtime until now.)

Thankfully it seems that this is apparently untrue:

QuoteWrong. If one talks to SF you discover great passion for the sport. The problem is not that. He has already turned down several big offers. The problem is that he is not very experienced in F1 ways and it is not like any other business.

So I wonder what the issue is between him and Booth & Lowden?

Thankfully, it seems that that earlier speculation I bought into about it being a cunning way for Red Bull to get Mercedes engines is untrue:

QuoteI think [that commentor] may be overthinking this

As for the Force India / Diageo / Aston Martin thing, there's a rather more digestible explanation of the thing about halfway down this post.

im barry bethel

1.   John McPhee   GBR   SAXOPRINT RTG   (Honda)   1m   39.364s   
2.   Romano Fenati   ITA   SKY Racing Team VR46   (KTM)   1m   39.450s   
3.   Efren Vazquez   SPA   Leopard Racing   (Honda)   1m   39.463s   
4.   Miguel Oliveira   POR   Red Bull KTM Ajo   (KTM)   1m   39.503s   
5.   Jorge Navarro   SPA   Estrella Galicia 0,0   (Honda)   1m   39.525s   
6.   Enea Bastianini   ITA   Gresini Racing Team Moto3   (Honda)   1m   39.581s   
7.   Niccolò Antonelli   ITA   Ongetta-Rivacold   (Honda)   1m   39.591s   
8.   Karel Hanika   CZE   Red Bull KTM Ajo   (KTM)   1m   39.617s   
9.   Brad Binder   RSA   Red Bull KTM Ajo   (KTM)   1m   39.666s   
10.   Hiroki Ono   JPN   Leopard Racing   (Honda)   1m   39.668s   
11.   Fabio Quartararo   FRA   Estrella Galicia 0,0   (Honda)   1m   39.686s   
12.   Jakub Kornfeil   CZE   Drive M7 SIC   (KTM)   1m   39.763s   
13.   Isaac Viñales   SPA   RBA Racing Team   (KTM)   1m   39.763s   
14.   Philipp Oettl   GER   Schedl GP Racing   (KTM)   1m   39.920s   
15.   Andrea Migno   ITA   SKY Racing Team VR46   (KTM)   1m   39.952s   
16.   Nicolò Bulega   ITA   SKY Racing Team VR46   (KTM)   1m   39.964s   
17.   Jules Danilo   FRA   Ongetta-Rivacold   (Honda)   1m   40.006s   
18.   Danny Kent   GBR   Leopard Racing   (Honda)   1m   40.013s   
19.   Francesco Bagnaia   ITA   MAPFRE Team MAHINDRA   (Mahindra)   1m   40.014s   
20.   Alexis Masbou   FRA   SAXOPRINT RTG   (Honda)   1m   40.063s   

Oh you silly fucker

im barry bethel

Incidentally Peugeot are going into Moto3 with a rebadged Mahindra, now I know they make a lot of scooters but still

im barry bethel

It's on now you fuckers and you don't even have to get up in the middle of the night to see the first British grand Prix champion since the late great Barry Sheene[nb]hopefully[/nb]

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://planetf1.com/news/bbc-could-lose-formula-1/

Been on the cards ever since they agreed to 'share'[nb]note, Sky's version of sharing is having all of the races and the BBC half of them[/nb] races with Sky.

What with the Tories all over the Beeb like smallpox the cuts will likely run the path of least resistance.

And there we are, very shortly another major sport entirely removed from terrestrial TV, despite continuing evidence of its mainstream appeal.

PAGATRON

So, image if you will Robot Wars but with motor racing.
Ladies and gentlemen ROBORACE

This is serious.

ziggy starbucks

I might just watch this race for old times sake as its likely to be the last live race on free-to-air tv.

Farewell f1

I used to care

Shoulders?-Stomach!

ziggy starbucks

its all vroom vroom vrooom these days

ziggy starbucks

I lasted 35 minutes

FORGIVE ME BERNIE

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on November 29, 2015, 01:50:59 PM
I lasted 35 minutes

FORGIVE ME BERNIE

Don't beat yourself up I'd class that as a fairly long wank.

Rubbish race.