Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Motorsport Thread (Part 2)

Started by Ambient Sheep, November 12, 2014, 03:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

# Perez is a wanker, Perez is a wanker, la la la la, la la la la. #

You can tell that I've just watched the race, can't you?

Ambient Sheep

Joe Saward - A meltdown in Hinwil

QuoteJust a couple of days ago I was writing about how Sauber needs stability to make progress, but it seems that the whole team has gone topsy-turvy in recent days with CEO and team principal Monisha Kaltenborn apparently set to depart...

DEAD SOON

Ambient Sheep

# Ocon is a wanker, Ocon is a wanker, la la la la, la la la la. #

Oh, and now there's a red flag.  This race really has turned into a complete joke, hasn't it?  If they'd used VSCs instead of SCs they wouldn't keep getting this debris everywhere from restart collisions.

Ambient Sheep

I see Vettel's resurrecting highlights of his early career by running into people behind the safety car.

(Yes, I am watching a bit behind.)

Blumf

How was that worth only a 10 sec stop/go penalty!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9dt7ACMtLM

Deliberate impact must be a disqualification surely?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blumf on June 25, 2017, 05:47:04 PM
How was that worth only a 10 sec stop/go penalty!?

So that it could exactly match Hamilton's headrest time-loss, of course!

Quote from: Blumf on June 25, 2017, 05:47:04 PMDeliberate impact must be a disqualification surely?

You'd think.  Perhaps they were relatively lenient because Vettel clearly (if erroneously) thought that Hamilton had brake-tested him.  Still pretty inexcusable though.  Couldn't believe that DC tried to claim it was accidental at first.  Shame that Mark Webber wasn't on the pundit team this weekend... <weg>

To be honest, I think questions need to be asked about the way this race was handled by race control.  When even your commentators are saying that they're clearly avoiding VSCs for the sake of "the show", something's not right.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nothing excuses Vettel's reaction. It was as close to a brake test as you can get though wasn't it?

Blumf

Apparently not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40400301
QuoteHamilton was not penalised. The stewards examined data from his car and found that he had maintained a more or less constant speed, had not lifted off the throttle or braked, and had behaved no differently at that restart at that point on the track than at the other two restarts

Also, Vettel got 3 points, so he's on 9 out of 12 for the next race, risks a race ban if he mucks about there.

I didn't get to see the whole race, kept up on text commentary, but it seems like everything chained on from that initial Bottas/Raikkonen crash, the debris causing several other failures and yellow flags/SC and so on. Real dogs dinner.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Having watched the incident Hamilton decelerated very sharply with Vettel being only a few feet behind him. Fuck data for a second and actually watch the damn footage.

Vettel may be a knob but there was a reason why he flew off the handle and that was it.

Blumf

Looked to me like Hamilton took a slow in and out of a corner whilst Vettel seemed to expect an acceleration out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Looked to me like a man with no ability to take evasive action at that proximity was faced with a car decelerating sharply, counter to the pattern of what had come before it and at that speed very likely aware where the car behind was.

Ambient Sheep

I watched the "damn footage" too, multiple times on TiVo rewind, and my opinion is what Blumf just said: Hamilton went slow in and slow out, but clearly Vettel thought Hamilton was gonna put his foot down out of the corner, and pre-empted accordingly but wrongly.  It seems that the people with access to the data have said the same thing.

But you go on believing your version if it makes you happy. :-)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blumf on June 25, 2017, 10:17:55 PM
Also, Vettel got 3 points, so he's on 9 out of 12 for the next race, risks a race ban if he mucks about there.

Wow, I didn't know he already had points this year.  I'll have to check up why.  (I had to dash out once the flag dropped - partly through being so far behind from rewinding all the incidents! - and have only just got back in, so have yet to catch up with all the reaction.)

Quote from: Blumf on June 25, 2017, 10:17:55 PMI didn't get to see the whole race, kept up on text commentary, but it seems like everything chained on from that initial Bottas/Raikkonen crash, the debris causing several other failures and yellow flags/SC and so on. Real dogs dinner.

Absolutely.  That's it in a nutshell.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 25, 2017, 11:37:44 PM
I watched the "damn footage" too, multiple times on TiVo rewind, and my opinion is what Blumf just said: Hamilton went slow in and slow out, but clearly Vettel thought Hamilton was gonna put his foot down out of the corner, and pre-empted accordingly but wrongly.  It seems that the people with access to the data have said the same thing.

But you go on believing your version if it makes you happy. :-)

https://www.google.hu/search?q=coming+to+america+fuck+you+whos+next&oq=coming+to+america+fuck+you+whos+next&aqs=chrome..69i57.22785j0j4&client=ms-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

:)

Ambient Sheep

Blumf

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 25, 2017, 11:42:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know he already had points this year.

12 month rolling according to the article. He'll drop 2 after Silverstone.

Ambient Sheep

Yes, caught up with it now, but thanks anyway.  I'll have to track down what the other four were for...

Feel desperately sorry for Force India; seems they'd have had a 1-2 if Ocon hadn't been a twat.  Mind you, even if he hadn't been, Perez probably would have done something later on, he usually does.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 26, 2017, 12:31:22 AM
Yes, caught up with it now, but thanks anyway.  I'll have to track down what the other four were for...

This excellent BBC article here lists them:

QuoteThe tally started at the British Grand Prix last year, when Vettel was given two points for driving Felipe Massa's Williams off the track. He received two more for causing a collision with Nico Rosberg's Mercedes in Malaysia and another two for driving dangerously in Mexico, the same race he told Whiting over the radio where to go using a four-letter word.

So there we have it.

Blumf

He ain't out of it yet...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40431244
QuoteFerrari driver Sebastian Vettel could face further punishment for his collision with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Governing body the FIA is to hold a meeting on 3 July to "further examine the causes of the incident to evaluate whether further action is necessary".

The outcome will be made public before the Austrian Grand Prix on 7-9 July.

Interestingly...

QuoteThey chose the second-most severe form of punishment - a 10-second stop-and-go penalty. The only tougher option was disqualification which it was considered, on balance, Vettel's actions did not deserve.

Is a 10-sec S/G really the second-most severe punishment? Wouldn't points docking be worse? How about 20-sec pit stop, is that an option?

Mr Brightside

Which is the best motorbike to help me evade capture when my enemies pursue me?

Blumf

Quote from: Mr Brightside on June 28, 2017, 10:13:01 PM
Which is the best motorbike to help me evade capture when my enemies pursue me?

Suzuki 350

Ambient Sheep

A couple of bits of news that may be of interest:

Looks like Force India may well end up being called the frankly-abysmal Force One.

Ricciardo's win probably means that neither Red Bull driver will be able to exercise their exit clause.  This may explain why Max was more than usually pissed-off at the end of the race, as rumour has it he was planning to leave at the end of the year.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blumf on June 28, 2017, 10:08:25 PMIs a 10-sec S/G really the second-most severe punishment?

Apparently so.  Remember that a couple of years ago they attempted to formalise the list of penalties, so I'm guessing that no 20-second option exists.  I suspect (but could be wrong) that points-docking is now only an option for "after the race" investigations... unless the FIA chooses to "cite" Vettel, which may yet be happening...

Ambient Sheep

No further action against Vettel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40488056

EDIT: well, apart from a year of having to be nice to children on his days off, and the humiliation of publicly admitting he was wrong and it was all his fault.

GMTV

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 03, 2017, 07:39:29 PM
No further action against Vettel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40488056

EDIT: well, apart from a year of having to be nice to children on his days off, and the humiliation of publicly admitting he was wrong and it was all his fault.

I'm glad that's the outcome. For a long time now the drivers have rightly been slated for being corporate robots. Finally a driver shows a bit of genuine uncontrolled passion and now there's outrage and calls for him to be banned.

At the end of the day he was in control of what he was doing, it was at low speed, and nothing happened because of it. I hope this spurs on drivers to show a bit more aggression in future.

Blumf

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Horrible, and how are Lego supposed to manufacture that?

On a serious note, a formula one driver died because their car aquaplaned in wet conditions into a big truck. Accidents in wet conditions happen almost routinely in the sport. Yet we race in wet conditions, indeed it is seen as being one of the benchmarks of driver skill, being able to do so very fast.

Ultimately, racing cars is fast, and once you start going really fast near 19 other drivers going really fast, near a crowd and a track with a load of bumps, cambers etc it starts being really dangerous, to the point where there are so many variables you can't even possibly make contingencies for. All the drivers are aware of the risks and signed up to taking those risks. It's fun because it's risky.

It was right in the 90s that a lot of safety improvements took place because they were nearly all unobtrusive to the driver and the entertainment level of the sport. This doesn't look unobtrusive and the feedback so far suggests it's far from ideal. Has it been properly tested in races in lower formula?

buzby

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 20, 2017, 07:20:18 PM
Has it been properly tested in races in lower formula?
It's not been tested anywhere other than static impact tests and the limited on-car testing during pre-season testing and and practice sessions in the past year. The chassis tub needs to be redesigned to provide the anchor points for it, which is why the sudden change of direction was made from the aeroshield to the halo (the teams need to sign off the designs of their chassis tubs for next year by the endof the month) when the drivers complained about visibility issues during the screen tests. I presume the FIA intend for it to trickle down from F1 into the lower formulae.