Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Motorsport Thread (Part 2)

Started by Ambient Sheep, November 12, 2014, 03:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Alberon on December 05, 2020, 06:27:33 PMBloody close though. Very good qualification for Russell.

Quote from: Blumf on December 05, 2020, 06:34:04 PMYeah, I'm wondering if he's had much practice on the Merc car before this week?

Not for two years, apparently.  Even sim work was only on the 2019 car.  I think.  Don't quote me, but yeah, certainly nothing at all on this year's car, sim or otherwise.

Blumf

WTF Mercedes?!!! How do you screw that up?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Blumf on December 06, 2020, 06:21:48 PM
WTF Mercedes?!!! How do you screw that up?

Let's see will their apology to their drivers border on fellatio and an offer to have themselves flogged like it would if Hamilton was driving.

Wonderful Butternut

Oh there's a safety car. Nevermind, they'll be fine now.

Blumf

Arrghh!! Completely gutted for Russell.

At least he might make some points.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Blumf on December 06, 2020, 06:43:34 PM
Arrghh!! Completely gutted for Russell.

He'll have his chances. This could be Perez's only one.

Alberon

Got three points in the end (if the Stewards Enquiry doesn't take them).

But the important thing is how well Russell drove. He coped with everything thrown at him and looked better than Bottas at about every stage.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, that signalled a Leclerc standard performance. Bottas should get out of Mercedes for his own sake. Shell of a driver he used to be.

Tough for Russell but Yay Sergio! Another new f1 race winner, all these years since he should have won that race for Sauber.

Ambient Sheep

Probably nothing, but this is interesting...

https://www.grandprix.com/news/hamilton-holds-2021-teammate-trump-card.html

Quote...eagle-eyed Instagram users claim that Bottas has suddenly deleted the word 'Mercedes' from his social media profile.

It now reads: "Valtteri Bottas. Driver."

Similarly, Russell's profile no longer features the word 'Williams', with his profile reading: "George Russell. Formula 1 driver."

On its own official Instagram, Mercedes played down the speculation, insisting in its new bio: "Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team. It's just an Instagram bio. Don't overthink it."

Bottas also posted a bike ride on the fitness-tracking app Strava featuring a photo of the 'W' foundation at the W Abu Dhabi hotel, intensifying rumours that he and Russell might simply swap seats for 2021.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think the last part is overthinking it (not sure about the first).

Bottas moving down to Williams would be even bigger than Kovalainen's fall. He just need to get back to a team where he can carve out good points for a midfield runner. Something like Racing Point would have been perfect but Vettel's nabbed it. He does look broken at the minute and he should get out for his own sake.

Wonderful Butternut

"George it's James. Remember to slow down. Because you are Lewis' bitch for as long as he's still here."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on December 09, 2020, 10:46:20 PM
"George it's James. Remember to slow down. Because you are Lewis' bitch for as long as he's still here."

Better than driving that Grove shitheap though amirite

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sadly Hamilton is back for Abu Dhabi. Bottas one race left to salvage his career, and he needs an absolute stormer.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 09, 2020, 10:51:10 PM
Better than driving that Grove shitheap though amirite

True. But at some point he'll want to compete, and we know what can happen with a young, upcoming fast driver in the same team as an established no. 1. Or with two equalish drivers.

Hamilton is undoubtedly a tougher nut to crack than the likes of Vettel, but he wasn't completely composed in '15 & '16 when Rosberg was putting it up to him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Agreed.

While on the subject, why is Hamilton someone it's almost impossible to have a balanced discussion about with motorsport fans? I only ever find people who worship the ground he walks on or find ever more pathetic ways to undermine his considerable achievements.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 10, 2020, 06:47:47 PM
Agreed.

While on the subject, why is Hamilton someone it's almost impossible to have a balanced discussion about with motorsport fans? I only ever find people who worship the ground he walks on or find ever more pathetic ways to undermine his considerable achievements.

I had a problem with the excessive fawning the media used to do over him. And still do, but it's justifiable now. He was Senna re-incarnated from his first race as far as the likes of Crofty and Brundle were concerned. And he had an attitude to go with it. Things like Monaco in 2007 where it was "Hamilton should've won. Team orders keeping the English driver down!" even though the only reason he got close to Alonso is because Alonso was ordered to slow down as both cars were marginal on break temperature. Or Hungary where the fact that he set the whole incident off (by ignoring team orders on the order they ran laps in) got disregarded entirely cos Alonso reacted like a child over it.

It particularly pissed me off around 2010-2012 where he wasn't driving nearly well enough to justify the praise he was getting. Button, who's not one of the greats, arguably outperformed him in that period in the same car. I got asspained with him a bit around 15/16 as well where he was sulking cos Rosberg was able to match him.

Since then though, he's been brilliant. Deserves every bit of praise he gets. Especially the latter half of 2018 where Vettel & Ferrari had a faster car and should've won the WDC. Yes, they made mistakes and their challenge fell apart, but part of the reason they did is because Hamilton maximised every result in a way that I can't think of too many drivers doing in that situation to put them under pressure.

That he's irritating the gammon with his support of BLM is a bonus too. (Although at the same time, he along with most of F1 are saying very little about hosting a race Saudi Arabia)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Heh, even when Albon gets within 3 tenths of pole he is 5th behind a McLaren.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

13 different drivers have stood on the podium this season. Weird for one of the most one sided seasons in the sport's history. Some pretty decent races in amongst it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Abu Dhabi serves up another piece of non-event bullshit.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 13, 2020, 02:46:11 PM
Abu Dhabi serves up another piece of non-event bullshit.

Shit track that should be dropped but won't be.

Maybe Albon & Hamilton can crash on the last lap for a bit of excitement.

EDIT: No such luck.

Ambient Sheep

One parting thought: if Russell does take Bottas' seat next year, and ends up beating Hamilton, we'll never know if it's because the latter's health has been compromised by CoViD.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

23 races next season. About 7 too many in my book.

Are more races good or bad for the smaller teams? I would assume bad.

Blumf

Oh god, they've got the migraine inducing Paul Ricard track back.

Please let that TBC be the Algarve International Circuit!

As for the time table, that looks punishing, even if you have the money. Sept and Oct especially.

Blumf

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/15/frank-williams-in-stable-condition-after-being-admitted-to-hospital
QuoteSir Frank Williams, the founder of the Williams Formula One team, has been admitted to hospital. The 78-year-old is in a stable condition according to his family.

Ambient Sheep

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/1339694905170546698

QuoteAndrew Benson
@AndrewBensonF1

Telegraaf in the Netherlands reporting that Sergio Perez will be Max Verstappen's team-mate at Red Bull next year, with Alex Albon dropping to reserve driver

22:12 · 17 Dec 20 · Twitter for iPhone

It's been rumoured for a few days, but it seems the Dutch paper is the first to be sure enough to print it.

EDIT: Announcement tomorrow (today), according to Auto Motor und Sport via https://www.grandprix.com/news/red-bull-now-turns-attention-to-albon-seat.html

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Do you think Red Bull would ever have taken Vettel back if he hadn't kneejerked to the only thing going? Seems like Perez has done very well out of this.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 18, 2020, 11:40:07 AM
Do you think Red Bull would ever have taken Vettel back if he hadn't kneejerked to the only thing going? Seems like Perez has done very well out of this.
I don't think Vettel would handle being #2 to Verstappen & I doubt RB would want to deal with the fallout from that relationship. Perez will be a less political driver, probably just grateful to have a drive in a front running car with the chance of regular podiums. Joe Saward reported this morning that Perez has a deal for 2022 with another team.

Rumours are that Alpha Tauri are running Tsunoda next year with a view to him moving up to RB in 2022 as part of a deal to allow RB to take ownership of Honda's power unit for 2022.

Perez confirmed now.

People very excited about this. I get that it's a nice reward for him after his treatment at the hands of Racing Point, but I can't quite muster up much enthusiasm for the prospect of ten year midfielder and McLaren reject Sergio Perez in the second quickest car on the grid.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Bently Sheds on December 18, 2020, 01:51:20 PMJoe Saward reported this morning that Perez has a deal for 2022 with another team.

Probably Williams, which makes sense.  They need somebody pretty solid to replace Russell when he leaves for Mercedes at the end of next year.

Quote from: Bently Sheds on December 18, 2020, 01:51:20 PMRumours are that Alpha Tauri are running Tsunoda next year with a view to him moving up to RB in 2022 as part of a deal to allow RB to take ownership of Honda's power unit for 2022.

Also makes sense.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's more exciting to have a driver that will definitely push Verstappen and handle race situations better than the likes of Albon who to be fair to him was always on a loser but still was a waste of a pretty decent race seat.

Really hope Perez has a better seat than Williams for 2022 but Perez does bring sweet Mexican moolah so it would make sense. With a bit of luck he'll do well enough that another team decide to buy out the contract.