Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Motorsport Thread (Part 2)

Started by Ambient Sheep, November 12, 2014, 03:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Also a chance for Red Bull to measure Verstappen and his ex-teammates against a fairly known quantity.  If Perez is ALSO 0.5s behind Verstappen, then it turns out that Max is even faster than we think, and that Albon & Gasly are good after all.

And in the unlikely event that Perez matches Max, it won't matter too much if they clash as Perez will be off to Williams the year afterwards anyway.

petril

Quote from: Bently Sheds on December 04, 2020, 10:09:59 AM
I used to be able to easily identify the drivers by their lids, but halo (and the generally crap style of modern helmet decorations) makes that harder. It would be cool if they could colour code the halo or make it stand out for each individual driver...

you can still do it by the T-Cam on top of the cars, every team has(has to?) have one black and one yellow.

wish there was a way to codify it so it was two team colours(like Red/Yellow for RB, Black/White for Ferrari etc)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 18, 2020, 05:59:04 PM
Also a chance for Red Bull to measure Verstappen and his ex-teammates against a fairly known quantity.  If Perez is ALSO 0.5s behind Verstappen, then it turns out that Max is even faster than we think, and that Albon & Gasly are good after all.

And in the unlikely event that Perez matches Max, it won't matter too much if they clash as Perez will be off to Williams the year afterwards anyway.

I predict Perez will be somewhere in between where Ricciardo and Sainz faced up against him, but gets a few notable results on racecraft and avoiding trouble, whereas Verstappen still finds ways of getting into trouble. He is faster and holds all the cards so I am sure he will be ahead but at least there will be a good benchmark and a more reliable number 2.

Dex Sawash

In the race series to select the challenger that will race against NZ. for the America's Cup, big crash yesterday in the race between Ineos/UK cunts and American Magic/NY Yacht Club cunts.

The boats this time don't give particularly exciting or close racing but are interesting machines, regularly topping 50mph.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dex Sawash

The flames were extinguished before injury

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ambient Sheep

I meant to post this on Wednesday (from grandprix.com):

Quote...the respected Japanese as-web.jp publication [has claimed] that Hamilton has now agreed a new two-year deal including details about salary and bonuses.

The report also said the seven time world champion will have veto power over the identity of his teammate.

Controversial, if true.

Re. Vettel's hairline, I read somewhere that he had no idea he was going to be filmed, it was just a lockdown haircut that he didn't expect the public to see, and that it will be back to "normal" by the car launch.

Ambient Sheep

Hah, well that was bollocks.  One year and no veto.

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1358748559949062145

Of course, with a one-year deal, why would he need one?  It's only next year that things might get interesting in that regard.

Oh.  According to this BBC page, which has radically changed in the last five minutes to add some quotes (in which case I would have just used it in the first place instead of Twitter):

Quote[Wolff] also rejected reports that Hamilton had asked for a veto on his future team-mate or for a share of team revenue.

He said: "None of that is true," and described the claims as "baseless".

The comments about why it's just a one-year deal seem confusing:

Quote"It was just we felt that we had a good signature on a 2021 contract and we needed to get going and then find some time in 2021 earlier than this time to discuss the future.

"And it's not to discuss only 2022 but also beyond, and that was not something we wanted to carve out via video conferencing between Christmas and the end of January."

???

So is Wolff saying that they've already ("before this time") discussed 2022 and beyond, in which case why isn't the contract longer (is "2022 and beyond" retirement, then?), OR does he mean that having signed a one-year contract for 2021 just to keep things going, they're NOW going to discuss 2022 and beyond?

The latter would make more sense, but that's not what it says...

Yeah, quite a lot of Hamilton fans on Twitter, etc. pretending that everyone thinking there was something up was being hysterical. As if signing your contract just a month before the season starts and just for one season and with no option to continue is a completely normal thing for any driver, let alone a pairing as successful as this one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I assume Hamilton wants to sniff out how well placed teams are with the upcoming regulations changes, otherwise he might be spending crucial final years in the wrong car.

If he does move then that would cause chaos

Ambient Sheep

Fuller explanation here:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff-hamilton-mercedes-2021-deal/5361872/

Yes, it meant the latter: get a one-year deal done for now, they'll discuss the 2022+ contract in the summer break this year.

Also, I think Shoulders? might have a point...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55992727

'Why do they have to keep mucking about with it?'

QuoteSome insiders have raised questions as to whether teams and drivers would be risk-averse during the sprint race, as the penalty for having a problem or not finishing is so high when far more points are given out in the main Grand Prix.

Mmmhmm. So even more costs for the teams.

It's almost as though they will do absolutely anything to avoid leveling the playing field, making the sport affordable and attractive to smaller outfits and throwing in variables that can allow midfield teams to take high risk high reward options to beat the front runners now and then.

I don't mind qualifying, and don't see the current format as being all that bad vs what they have had in the past. Yes people want to see more racing, so concentrate on making the races more exciting.

Ambient Sheep

Interesting little snippet:

QuoteAccording to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Hamilton's 2021 contract includes an automatic single-year renewal option. The Italian newspaper explained that it means that in the event of future stalled negotiations, the collaboration can simply roll into the following season.

(From https://www.grandprix.com/news/lauda-would-have-signed-hamilton-at-any-cost.html.)

Oh and yeah the engine freeze has been agreed today.

Wonderful Butternut

McLaren are 30+ minutes into their youtube streamed car launch and still haven't shown us the fucking car.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Take a look at the last grand prix of last season then update sponsors logos.

Or is that too cynical?

Ambient Sheep

Not at all.  Wouldn't be the first time that's happened at an F1 car launch.  Used to be almost common amongst the smaller teams.  A bit surprising to see McLaren doing it, though.  Maybe they don't want to give away some major secret in their new design.

Ambient Sheep

Should probably be noted that Formula E is back, as of tomorrow (Fri 26th Feb) -- today if you want to watch FP1.  The season kicks off with a double-header at Diriyah, so some of you may wish to boycott it, but for those of you don't, the live times on the BBC Red Button are:

Fri 12:45-14:15 -- Round 1 Qualifying
Fri 16:30-18:30 -- Round 1 Race

Sat 12:45-14:30 -- Round 2 Qualifying
Sat 16:30-18:30 -- Round 2 Race

Plus endless repeats of the Races on loop.

At least according to my Virgin EPG, anyway, which isn't always the best when it comes to live sporting events. 

I went to check on the BBC Sport website, but couldn't find anything, which is worrying, given that the F1 page used to always list them... and there doesn't seem to be a dedicated FE section either.  iPlayer page is no good as Red Button isn't officially a scheduled channel.

Given that even Eurosport aren't bothering (except for Round 1 Race, half an hour shorter than the Beeb, at Fri 16:30-18:00), leaving just the BBC RB plus a solitary one-hour highlights show for BOTH races at Sun 11pm on Quest, you have to fear for the future of the series.

Even on motorsport.com (which I checked to make sure the races were still running), it used to be right up there on the main menu next to F1, Indy, WEC, WRC etc... just now I had to delve deep into "Other Series" where it's buried in a long alphabetical list.

At least the official website is keen to tell us how to watch.  As well as confirming the above times (and that it'll be on iPlayer and the BBC website too) it also points out that you can watch FP1 & FP2 on their YouTube channel, Facebook page, own website, and even their own bleedin' app.  Times:

Thu 15:10-16:10 -- Free Practice 1
Fri   10:55-11:40 -- Free Practice 2

That's enough now.

Ambient Sheep

No it's not!  I've just learnt, courtesy of https://twitter.com/FIAFormulaE/status/1363813449336303618, that they're both going to be night races.

Should have realised that myself from the times.

Blumf

FE appears to have been filed under the more general, and harder to find, 'Motorsport' section of the Beeb's sports pages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/56063667

Really find it hard to bother with the series, with it's ultra narrow tracks, right-angle corners, and zero run-off.

Bently Sheds

The uninspiring breezeblock and steel fence street circuits don't make for interesting locations. Honestly they could hold all the races in a Tesco car park and re-jig the circuit layout weekly and you wouldn't know any different.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Agreed. Have tried to get into it but the tradeoffs of street racing are too much of a drag on the entertainment level.

Ambient Sheep

More later, but for now here's the FP1 link for *anyone* interested. :-D

https://youtu.be/AHSNeL-BsAg

It does look like another boring track at first glance, tbf, but Jack Nicholls & Dario Franchitti are always great value.

EDIT: FP2 will be https://youtu.be/ZgzX3Ib0ES4, "broadcast" scheduled to start at 10.45am tomorrow.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Aston Martin and Alpine cars should provide quite a different colour to the midfield this year, turquoisey green for AM and metallic blue with red and white flashes for Alpine. Quite late 90s in appearance.

Almost enough to distract people from the very small development changes between last year and this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Williams are sponsored by the Spinal Injuries Association. Some connection with Frank Williams?

Either way, an odd one for a motorsport team

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/albert-park-layout-2021-australian-gp/5416110/

Changes to Albert Park - the right-hander in sector 2 which then turns left going by the lake has been smoothed out a bit so it's a much faster corner.