Author Topic: The Motorsport Thread (Part 2)  (Read 43538 times)

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
Re: The Motorsport Thread (Part 2)
« Reply #600 on: November 29, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
Incredible how quickly the medical car was on the scene. It seems like they would have maybe got him out even if he was unconscious.

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #601 on: November 29, 2020, 10:52:25 PM »
Incredible how quickly the medical car was on the scene. It seems like they would have maybe got him out even if he was unconscious.

The med car following the field for part of the first lap goes un-noticed every race for years. Pays off today.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #602 on: November 29, 2020, 11:15:51 PM »
Yeah, the Sky commentators remarked that if the accident had happened later in the first lap the medical car would have taken longer to get there (as F1 cars are naturally a lot faster than it). But then again, it's the first few corners that have the greatest chance of freak accidents like this as the whole field is bunched up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Slime-fit for a piss binge
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #603 on: November 29, 2020, 11:58:46 PM »
At least he was able to get out of the survival cell

Captain Z

• CABBALD
« Reply #604 on: November 30, 2020, 12:12:51 AM »
Must have been another piece of sheer luck that he still had an escape route and wasn't trapped by the metal barrier on top.

Ambient Sheep

• I owe lots of people PMs, sorry. Hopefully soon...
« Reply #605 on: November 30, 2020, 12:30:49 AM »
Apparently he had to crawl out/up through the side-gap in the halo.  Must have been a helluva tight squeeze.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #606 on: November 30, 2020, 01:25:46 AM »
Amazed the helmet fits through that (fnurr)

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #607 on: November 30, 2020, 05:31:58 AM »
I had the same thought a little bit later, after an article mentioned the HANS device and I suddenly realised "Oh yeah, that and helmet too!"

So I dunno, now.

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
« Reply #608 on: November 30, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »

Captain Z

• CABBALD
« Reply #609 on: November 30, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »
I would guess the halo has been designed to allow the driver to fit through the side for instances where the car is upside-down or underneath another car. I also imagine they receive training in how to do this instinctively, although to still be thinking straight under those circumstances is extr... oh OK I've just spotted the dog.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #610 on: November 30, 2020, 10:00:30 PM »
Looks like Pietro Fittpaldi racing for Haas instead of Grosjean at the next race. We may seen Romain for one final time in Abu Dhabi.

When will it be ok to start saying that it really looks like Grosjean caused that crash

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #611 on: December 01, 2020, 08:07:00 AM »
Lewis has got the 'vid!

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1333672817460654080

Fuck Vandoorne... Hulkenberg v. Bottas would be a much more interesting comparison...

EDIT: Ooooh, they might well pop George Russell in for an even more interesting comparison!

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #612 on: December 01, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »
Oh, and Mazepin has been confirmed at Haas, but nobody cares about that:

https://twitter.com/HaasF1Team/status/1333682233622876160

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #613 on: December 01, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
Lewis has got the 'vid!

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1333672817460654080

Fuck Vandoorne... Hulkenberg v. Bottas would be a much more interesting comparison...

EDIT: Ooooh, they might well pop George Russell in for an even more interesting comparison!

That's probably a free podium for someone.

It'd be a riot if whomever it was beat Bottas.

« Reply #614 on: December 01, 2020, 09:06:24 AM »
Stick one of those furious gammons in Lewis' car. The ones who, when it was leaked he was getting a knighthood, were spouting on Twitter how  Lewis only won because he's in the best car and they could win a race in it...

C'mon Roger from Hatfield, grab your "I Raced At Daytona Kart Milton Keynes" certificate and get down Bahrain.

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #615 on: December 01, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
Roger from Hatfield's proposed F1 debut has been called off after Schuberth were unable to manufacture a helmet big enough for his fat, greasy head in time.

Ambient Sheep

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #617 on: December 01, 2020, 06:35:36 PM »
Powerful interview with Grosjean about his thoughts whilst in the inferno:

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1333785388578553869

He's determined to be back for Abu Dhabi.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #618 on: December 01, 2020, 07:05:29 PM »
Hope his hands recover in time.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #619 on: December 01, 2020, 07:36:10 PM »
Looks like it's going to be George in at Mercedes, although not confirmed as yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55152354

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #620 on: December 02, 2020, 08:58:20 AM »
Schumacher Jr. to drive for Haas next year.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #621 on: December 02, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »
Russell confirmed; Jack Aitken to drive the Williams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55152354

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #622 on: December 02, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »
Hope his hands recover in time.

Well his right hand seems to be doing better now, at least...

https://twitter.com/RGrosjean/status/1334031363645779969

« Reply #623 on: December 02, 2020, 04:42:54 PM »
Unless he crashes out at the first corner or stalls on the grid, Russell is in a win/win situation. If he gets points/podium/wins, then he's a great driver and a worthy successor to LHam. If he finishes in the points or just out then it's obviously hard to jump in a car at short notice and get the best out of it.

The worst that can happen is he comes in 11th with Jack Aitken scoring 10th for Williams.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #624 on: December 02, 2020, 05:32:36 PM »
Or killed in a horrific car accident.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #625 on: December 03, 2020, 12:14:38 AM »
According to Joe Saward, if both Bahrain and Abu Dhabi keep to their official laws about CoViD, there's no way he can compete in the latter.  Fifth paragraph onward of this:

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2020/12/02/a-big-test-for-george/

Also an interesting comment from one guy:

Fascinating to see how close Russell gets to Bottas.

If Mercedes conclude they can win the 2021 Constructors without Hamilton, an obvious cost-saving arises.

Hamilton is out of contract shortly and is holding out for an absurd salary, completely misreading the situation.

I don't think that Mercedes would actually drop Hamilton, but in the above scenario they may well end up dropping his salary!

Such a shame that the new Williams management weren't in place back in July(?), when Mercedes asked them if they'd let George go a year early, only to be told "No", so Bottas got another year instead.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #626 on: December 03, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »
Another powerful, and considerably more detailed, interview with Grosjean about his escape here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55172481

Grosjean said: “Jules saved my life. Without Jules' accident, there probably wouldn't have been a halo. And without halo, no more Romain Grosjean.”

He described the moments inside the car as he realised there was a fire and was struggling to get out.

“After the shock, I open my eyes,” he said. “I take off my harness, I hit something that blocks me: I think it's the halo. I sit down and I tell myself that someone will come and help me. At this moment, I don't realise that there is fire.

"Then I look to the left: it's all orange; I find it weird. I understood then that there was fire because the plastic of my ‘tear off’ (visor) caught fire. I try to get out without succeeding.

"I have time to think that I will end up like Niki Lauda, ​​burnt. I tell myself that it is not possible, that I cannot end like this. I tried straight ahead, then right. Every time, I'm stuck.

“I sit down again and there is a strange moment when I see death as near as you can see it. My body almost relaxes and tells itself it's over.

"I wondered which part was going to burn first, and if it was going to be my hand. I took 53G on my head so obviously I'm a little stunned.

“But then I pull like crazy because my left foot is stuck under the pedal. I tell myself that I haven't tried to slip on the other side yet.

"I put my hands in the fire, the gloves turn all black, I feel the pain, I know then that I am burning my hands. As the chest passes (the cockpit), it's deliverance. I know I'm going to live. I pass the barrier, I feel the doctor pulling on my suit. He says to me ‘Sit down’.

“The impact, frankly, is not that bad. Everyone thought I would have a concussion or a blackout. But nothing, I can hear [FIA Dr] Ian Roberts talking to me. I immediately thought of removing the gloves, which were melting.”

Grosjean added: "The survival instinct was the strongest - even after thinking that I was going to die, I had the lucidity to think about the movement to be made.

“I saw death too closely, it's a feeling that I don't wish on anyone. It will change my life forever. At that point, I wasn't scared, I wasn't annoyed but I didn't want it to end like this."

Grosjean said he had since been “haunted by the idea of death” and had spoken to the psychologist he has been seeing since 2012 about it.

Meanwhile Jean Todt wants to know - as do we all - how his hands got burnt:

FIA president Jean Todt says the "scary" return of a fiery crash to Formula 1 is something the sport quickly needs to understand.

As motor racing's governing body begins a detailed investigation into Romain Grosjean's escape from his terrifying accident at the Bahrain Grand Prix, Todt said the way the car burst in to flames was a key issue for him.

In an exclusive video interview with Motorsport.com, Todt admitted that the Grosjean crash had been 'scary' to watch, but it was the fire aspect that had surprised him the most.

"I think we all lost memory of a car catching into fire and into flames," said Todt. "So we need to understand why it happened.

Todt said that while F1 safety measures worked in many ways to save Grosjean's life, the FIA would look into why the Frenchman's hands got burned.

"We need to understand the gloves, because his hands are slightly burned second degree," said Todt. "So we need to understand what has happened, for clearly him and the doctor, because the doctor, his overalls were also burnt."

The doctor's and medical car driver's accounts are here, btw, also worth a read.

Back to Grosjean and whether his hands will let him race in Abu Dhabi:

He re-emphasised his desire to race in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on 13-15 December, if possible. He is leaving the Haas team at the end of the season and does not have a drive for 2021.

"The big problem is the left hand,” he said. “It will take three weeks for it to heal. So the idea, if I drive to Abu Dhabi, is to put on cream, and a latex glove before putting on the fireproof glove.

“The rest is better, the right hand, in seven days, it's perfect."

Hope he makes it, but I do wonder if he should now can his plans to do IndyCar next year.  Can you imagine him on an oval?  His poor family.  Maybe seeing death like he did will make him think twice.

Ambient Sheep

« Reply #627 on: December 03, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »
Alonso is going to do the post-Abu Dhabi Young Driver Test.  Love the quote marks from Andrew Benson here:

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/1334468543514107904

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #628 on: December 03, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »
Has there been any discussion about what Grosjean was doing prior to the accident?

« Reply #629 on: December 03, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »
Todt's quite right to be looking into gloves. Under FIA standard 8856-2018, outer clothing needs to withstand fire for a minimum of 12 seconds, shoes for 11 and underwear/socks to provide an additional five. Grosjean was in the fire for about 30 seconds, well in excess of what his clothing was certified for, and as there's no additional underwear/sock layer under the gloves, it's little wonder his hands were burnt.

As for whether he should do Indy, IndyCar's safety team is probably the best there is, certainly far beyond what F1 has. They've multiple trucks staffed with firefighters and medics ready to be deployed at a moment's notice and are usually on the scene of an accident within seconds.