Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good laptops

Started by sillymisslily, November 22, 2014, 07:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillymisslily

I need a new laptop, desperately. My old one is in a state and on its last legs, and has about a million viruses.

Does anyone know of a good laptop in the region of around £300? I really don't fancy a notebook because I have the eyesight of someone three times my age, and I'm not too keen on those tablets-that-can-replace-your-laptop either. Not too cumbersome, and preferably built-in Microsoft Office as well.

Johnny Textface

Keep looking on eBay for an Asus K53E (the version with the Intel i3 or i5 processor). You should get one in good nick for under £300, probably nearer £240. I bought one brand new for my mam about three years ago and it runs Windows 7 and 8.1 a treat. They're solid as fuck (unlike the newer Asus laptops) and accept dual-channel RAM if you're comfortable with upgrading the RAM. Go for a model with 4GB if you don't want to upgrade yourself.

The i3 and i5 models have Intel Ivy Bridge processors, which are a vast improvement over the older Sandy Bridge processors.

They look smart too and come in a discreet dark brown (my favourite), royal blue (not so nice) and bright pink (you might get a better price on a pink one if you're not bothered about having a girls coloured laptop).