Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lyrics You Misheard.

Started by Camp Tramp, November 30, 2014, 01:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Sylvia's Mother by Dr Hook. Please Mrs Apricot...

New page hook-up.

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 29, 2016, 11:42:40 PM
Jackson 5 - 'Blame it on the Boogie'

I hope The Crafty Cockney later tracked Jacko down and knocked him the fuck out.

I heard 'Frisco in that as 'Bristol', as I did in Sister Sledge, I Wonder Why He's The Greatest Dancer.

Camp Tramp

Keep Warm by Ginny

I used to think that the chorus was " Keep keep keep it on, keep it on, DICKSHOT!"

In Ziggy Stardust, David Bowie, when I first heard it at age 11, I misheard 'like a leper messiah' as 'like a lemon messiah'.  As I did not then know the latter word, I assumed from the adjective that Bowie was talking about a sweet dessert, which made it seem an odd simile to say the least!

buttgammon

I thought it was "leather messiah" for a long time, which also works in a weird way. I often suspected "just the beer light to guide us" was another mishearing, so I was surprised to recently find out it is the actual line.

Much more inexplicable was my mishearing of 'Suffragette City', which was "the smell of fat chicks just put a smile on my face."

An Autistic bloke I used to look after; who was basically a natural comic genius and a really good laugh in a myriad of different ways, had some great 'misheard lyric' moments.

-Smooth Operator by Sade was changed to 'School Operator'

-Elton John Im still standing: "I'm still standing, standing on a hovercraft" (which doesnt even sound anything like the actual line, no idea how he got to hovercraft. Tried politely correcting him a few times but in his mind itd always be hovercraft)

-The Scaffold Lily the Pink: "We'll drink a drink a drink to Lily the pink the pink the pink, shave our arms the human race" (in all fairness I can see where he was coming from with that one)

They all conjur up some great imagery; Elton John barely keeping his balance on a hovercraft navigatin some turbulent waves, Sade working as some kind of school co ordinator. There were more but cant remember them off the top of my head

Quote from: buttgammon on April 10, 2017, 09:44:10 PM
Much more inexplicable was my mishearing of 'Suffragette City', which was "the smell of fat chicks just put a smile on my face."

Since 1980, when I got into that song via Dad's copy of Changesone LP, I have been convinced that was the actual line!   After reading your post, I  googled and found the line is: 'This mellow thighed chick just put my spine out of place'.  You learn something new every day.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: buttgammon on April 10, 2017, 09:44:10 PM

Well, that's just put a smile on my face. I look forward to mishearing this line for the rest of my life - thanks!

buttgammon

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 11, 2017, 04:52:05 AM
Since 1980, when I got into that song via Dad's copy of Changesone LP, I have been convinced that was the actual line!   After reading your post, I  googled and found the line is: 'This mellow thighed chick just put my spine out of place'.  You learn something new every day.

I still prefer our version to be honest.

monolith

Thought for years that Pete Doherty was singing "Poor lickle boy kicked out at the world" on Can't Stand Me Now.