Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lennon and McCartney: Were they equal?

Started by Nowhere Man, December 02, 2014, 07:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's best?

McCartney
14 (56%)
Lennon
5 (20%)
(Not as good as) Duke Ellington
3 (12%)
Yoko No-no
0 (0%)
Ringo's bellend
2 (8%)
Brian Wilson's left ear
2 (8%)
Murray the KKK
0 (0%)
your mum
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

John Lennon: appeared in 'Not Only... But Also...' with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore

Paul Mc Cartney: appeared in support of his missus on an episode of fucking 'Bread'.

The John Lennon type played by top sad-eyed songwriter and all-round nice feller Neil Innes in 'The Rutles.'

The Paul McCartney type played by bit-of-a-cunt-with-near-lifelong-girlie hair feller Eric Idle in 'The Rutles'.

John Lesson: would brook no nonsense with interviewers I would imagine (citation needed).

Paul McCartney: patronised a 12 year-old who had bafflingly been assigned to interview him on 'The Tube', circa 1986.

Both chose to have ugly women for wives, when they could have had any number of attractive ladies as their missuses (well, they would have had to choose just one of 'em to marry, not being mormons).

So, that last factor clinches it: both a pair of cunts.

Replies From View

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That's taught me a lennon, eh readers?

Also, for all you swotty teacher's pet-type Beatles fans: Ringo Goldstarr

Geography Harrison.

Enough.

wosl

Ringo Store Cupboard wasn't even the best depot in the building :(

ziggy starbucks

This is my favourite picture of Paul McCartney

wosl

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Impersonating the young Louise Wener, while being stared at lovingly by the young Danny Peacock?

ziggy starbucks

nah, its a young paul mccartney sitting on the lap of angry hippy Charles Manson

Replies From View

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on December 03, 2014, 01:37:16 PM
nah, its a young paul mccartney sitting on the lap of angry hippy Charles Manson

"When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide, then I stop and I turn and I go for a ride..."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 03, 2014, 10:58:43 AM
So he loved his wife enough to want her to be a part of what he did.

The road to hell is paved with that things that them did for that there wives they love enough.

El Unicornio, mang

I prefer Lennon. He wrote more of my favourite Beatles songs than McCartney. I think McCartney was technically better though (some lovely basslines). Don't care that much for either of their solo careers but Lennon's, although he didn't do much, edges out McCartney's.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on December 03, 2014, 01:16:07 PM
You can't add him into the mix without including Paul McClassroom.

Not to mention Paul Pickshisnoseatschool and Paul Wipesitunderthedeskatschool.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Puce Moment

As far as I can tell, McCartney didn't do mong-face impressions of people with down syndrome, so he just about has the edge.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Panbaams on December 03, 2014, 10:42:13 AM
A paragraph in the closing pages of Philip Norman's Shout! neatly sums up Paul's post-Beatles work:

QuoteThere is a band called Wings with a clutch of Gold and Platinum Discs that long ago lifted it into the Guinness Book of Records.

For a band that spent much of the 70s making odd, eccentric uncommercial stuff thats a pretty amazing achievement. Even the big hits are unconventional - who else was doing Uncle Albert and Another day and getting it to number 1? Even something like Let Em In is fucking weird.

Quotewho allows his wife to sing on stage, unmelodiously;

Wings was formed so Paul could be in a band and tour along with his wife and kids. He did it for himself not the audience, and I genuinely don't think he gave a fuck what people thought. That said, Linda's vocals are charming, appropriate and an integral part of what makes one of the greatest and most melodious pop albums of all time - Ram, as great as it is, so they're certainly not unmelodious

whose every lyric betrays what editing it has not had, what sentimentality no one dared mock; whose songs, for all their commercial success, can never lay the ghosts of songs a decade before them, nor extinguish the knowledge of what Paul McCartney would do if only he would try.

This is probably the biggest myth. Whilst its true he was undisciplined in the 70s, in the best stuff he did -  it was also an integral part of why it was so great. He was restless and flitted from one idea to the next, and didn't bother for the most part to properly hone it. The earlier stuff especially has a casual, tossed off, homespun quality, which is one of the reasons he's now regarded as one of the fathers of lo-fi music.

But I think in recent decades there are few musicians of his stature and vintage who have been more disciplined than McCartney has. He's turned out a succession of albums in the last couple of decades that have been by far the tightest and most focused of his entire career, and there aren't many artists you can say that about. Flowers in the Dirt, Flaming Pie, Driving Rain, Chaos and Creation, Memory Almost Full and New - its been a really strong late period for him and most importantly he's eradicated the things that were seen as his traditional failings. Gone almost entirely is the sentimentality, the sloppiness, the cutesiness - and added are more bite and cynicism - imagine Paul 30 years ago writing something as acerbic as 'Riding to Vanity Fair' for instance. It would have been easy for him just to fall back into his worst excesses as he got older, but the exact opposite has happened - he's reigned them in massively, and he deserves some credit for that.

Jockice

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 03, 2014, 06:59:42 PM
Even something like Let Em In is fucking weird.

Wing

The weirdest thing about that song is the line 'sister Susie, brother John.' Because my mum had a sister called Susie and a brother called John. What are the chances of that happening eh?

She also had a sister called Helen but Macca didn't mention her. The bastard.

Mr Banlon

Paul McCartney couldn't write something like Jealous Guy. He didn't beat the shit out of his wife and then fuck off on a year and a half long bender either. So I guess he didn't feel the need to write a domestic-violence apology in song form.

garbed_attic

My old guitar teacher assigned me that song and it's easy to play, but I felt pretty weird singing the lyrics.

Replies From View

I don't get why McCartney chooses to do croaky voiced singing now.  Is he doing it because he admires Brian Wilson and is copying him?  McCartney's voice was fine in earlier stages of his career - he should just do that again.

massive bereavement

Quote from: Mr Banlon on December 03, 2014, 08:04:53 PM
Paul McCartney couldn't write something like Jealous Guy. He didn't beat the shit out of his wife and then fuck off on a year and a half long bender either. So I guess he didn't feel the need to write a domestic-violence apology in song form.

Lennon's first wife says that he hit her once (during the very early stages of their relationship when he was about 18/19). I don't think he ever hit Yoko, the thing that led to the spllt with her was him having sex with another woman in the next room at a party and everybody could hear. So it would be wrong to label him a wife beater.

Heather Mills claimed that Paul beat her up and that he beat up Linda too, but this is Heather Mills we're talking about.

wosl

Quote from: massive bereavement on December 03, 2014, 08:25:30 PMI don't think he ever hit Yoko [...] So it would be wrong to label him a wife beater.

But would it be okay to label him, in relation to his stay-at-home bread-baking years, a wife Beatle?

Replies From View

Don't forget to watch the Paul McCartney and Heather Mills edition of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire; it is most peculiar.

massive bereavement

Quote from: wosl on December 03, 2014, 08:35:29 PM
But would it be okay to label him, in relation to his stay-at-home bread-baking years, a wife Beatle?

I very much suspect that "he was a wife Beatle" was the original accusation misheard by a slightly deaf journalist.

The Masked Unit

Quote from: Nowhere Man on December 03, 2014, 12:31:24 PM
If McCartney fans are considered wussier individuals in general, where does that leave those of us who absolutely love Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys?

Dunno, but as an aside, although I prefer The Beatles' overall body of work, they never came within a whiff of something as perfect and cohesive as Pet Sounds, and they fucking know it.

CaledonianGonzo

I refuse to choose sides, and so will continue to like both.  Strawberry Fields Forever is enhanced by having Penny Lane on the flipside, and vice versa.

studpuppet

McCartney looked marginally better in a bikini.

biggytitbo

Quote from: SteveDave on December 03, 2014, 10:22:00 AM
I was firmly in the "Everything (bar a couple of songs) Paul did after the Beatles was shit" camp but then I accidentally heard "Ram" & was converted. Then I saw "Rockshow" in the cinema & realised that "Venus & Mars" is one of the best albums ever made. Only one & a half duffers ("Venus & Mars (Reprise)" & "Spirits Of Ancient Egypt") on there.

Oh man how good is Venus and Mars? It pisses all over the much better known Band on the Run. It wall to wall solid gold classics - Love in Song, Letting Go, Magneto and Titanium Man, Call Me Back Again, Listen to What The Man Said, Treat Her Gently - they're amongst the best stuff he ever did, and the rest of the album, whilst eccentric and flawed is never less than great fun. What's best about it is it isn't tight and disciplined, its silly (My Carnivale), experimental (Lunch Box/Odd Sox, Spirits of Ancient Egypt) and odd (Crossroads). It's exactly what you want from McCartney.

biggytitbo

For those that doubt Paul's credentials post Beatles, this simply ends the debate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZClweQndY

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 06, 2014, 09:42:04 PM
For those that doubt Paul's credentials post Beatles, this simply ends the debate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZClweQndY

I'm not going to click on the link, so there.

Franny Joyce

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 06, 2014, 09:42:04 PM

I must remember to get some bland bland from the bland man who blehrhj zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKB6OZ_B4c

sorry but christ that soily thing is dull and lifeless. Mcartney is a good parodist.