Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of the Unknown

Started by Registering to lurk, December 02, 2014, 09:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone else splashed out on the BFI DVD release of this sixties anthology series?

I've seen a few of the stories before; Level Seven was shown at the BFI as part of an afternoon of work by Rudolph Cartier, The Machine Stops was on Youtube in terrible quality, and Thirteen To Centaurus cropped up on BBC4 as part of a night about J.G.Ballard and proved to be a right little cure for insomnia.

Two things finally convinced me to get the DVD. I hadn't realised that some of the Isaac Asimov episodes still exist, The Dead Past and Sucker Bait. Also the set contains a version of The Tunnel Under The World, which is a short story I first read as a kid and has kind of obsessed me ever since.

So far I've worked my way through the first couple of discs and seen No Place Like Earth, The Counterfeit Man, Stranger in the Family, The Dead Past, Time In Advance, and Come Buttercup, Come Daisy, Come...?

Time In Advance has been the best story so far, but is let down by some hideous set design. It's a very Tomb Of The Cybermen vision of the future; all shiny walls and perspex. It was also great to see Edward Judd in another role. He's in one of my favourite films The Day The Earth Caught Fire. The Dead Past was interesting, it's a fairly straight adaptation of the Isaac Asimov story but although the Out Of The Unknown version has a great visual ending it doesn't translate to television as well as I'd hoped.