Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"i have spider of worth to say" thread

Started by mayer, September 10, 2004, 03:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Seriously though, if this is a thread about hating spiders, must we have big pictures of the fuckers?  Could they be linked so those who want to look can, but those nearly have a heart attack even seeing a picture of a spider can still read the thread without fear?

LadyDay

It's called aversion therapy!  People pay thousands for this sort of thing.

Mediocre Rich

Quote from: "Brad"Are they black and white like little tigers?

(picture)

We had a mini invasion (2 or 3) of spiders like that and they are really horrible.  

We recently went to Peru and I was shitting it at the thought of staying in the amazon because of the spiders.  However when we got there I found myself completly chilled out about them. Happily spotting them and taking photo's. I presume it's because your in an odd environment so it just seems normal.

This bugger was about 15cm across, but was quite happy to sit there and have it's photo taken.

This spindly one was about 10cm, and I could happily get up close to it's web and snap away.

However when we got back there was one of those^ things in the sink about 5cm across and I couldn't go in the bathroom.  Her inside of the doors had to go at it with a shower brush and when it jumped back I nearly fainted.  And then it hissed.  And then it ran towards her!! Luckily she smashed it to pieces or I would never have been able to brush my teeth again.

LadyDay

That's it! Like birds, they're ok in their natural environment but not in mine. Though I nearly walked into a 6 inch one in the Seychelles that had spun a web across two trees. I ran very fast in the opposite direction.

mook

I think my main problem with them is that they have too much of everything, eight legs is creepy enough, but just count how many eyes they have

SIX, what the fuck do they need six eyes for? I daren't do any research on them in case I find out they have three gobs and half a dozen arseholes. Fucking mutants.#

Mind tha picture is quite cute, for a spider anyway. Looks like a little furry R2D2.

LadyDay

That's not six eyes, it's camouflage. That spider has evolved in such a way that he will scare off potential predators by doing a reasonable impersonation of R2D2.

Neville Chamberlain

Lady Beaner

Oh my god,  think I am going to be sick.

Brad

Quote from: "mook"SIX, what the fuck do they need six eyes for?

There are also spiders that have 8 eyes. If you look carefully at the top of the R2D2s dome on that spider above you'll see two more eyes.

Quote from: "Mediocre Rich"
Quote from: "Brad"Are they black and white like little tigers?
(picture)
We had a mini invasion (2 or 3) of spiders like that and they are really horrible.

I've seen pictures of bigger stripey spiders like that one and they do look quite awesome. The one in the picture I posted is only about 10mm long though. As a child I would play with those in my nan's back garden, prodding the spider gently behind and they'd jump away. A bit like living tiddlywinks.

petula dusty

Well, thank you very much for posting those pics. I'll be shuddering all day now.

mook

Quote from: "Brad"
Quote from: "mook"SIX, what the fuck do they need six eyes for?

There are also spiders that have 8 eyes. If you look carefully at the top of the R2D2s dome on that spider above you'll see two more eyes.

Eww, you're right. But just makes me an even more impressive spider hunter, with eight eyes they must be able to see everything...even your soul, and yet I can still capture them armed with just a pint glass and an envelope.

Purple Tentacle

Living with a weak woman with a terror of spiders is the best way to get over one's girly spider-fear.

There was a spider on the wall that was so big I found it hard to put a transparant CD-spindle cover thing over it without hurting its legs, and I only made mild screaming noises. Especially when it started thrashing itself against my palm, presumably in an effort to shut down my nervous system.

You've got to respect them though, they're nature's very own Darth Vader, but with loads more legs.  And they eat flies. Darth Vader never ate flies, at least not while anybody was filming.

dot

My god, R2D2's had a rough night, go and have a shave man.

Xerxes & Friends

Aaargh, the pictures!  You bastards!

I have heard that conkers repel spiders, due to a scent that they give off, although I can't find an authoritative confirmation of this on the net.  However, I have had a little bowl of conkers by every door and window of the house for a couple of weeks now, and haven't seen a single spider.  Which is pretty amazing considering how overrun we were with the freaky little fuckers this time last year.

Lady Beaner

What are you meant to do with the conkers?  Throw them or wave them like a string of garlic at a vampire?!

Xerxes & Friends

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"What are you meant to do with the conkers?  Throw them or wave them like a string of garlic at a vampire?!

Well, as I say, I've put them in little bowls on window ledges and it seems to be working.  I have seen an alternative suggestion of boiling them, crushing them and making a room-fragrancing spray, but I can't be arsed to try that out.  

But yes, if all else fails you could lob them at the spiders of course.   Whilst squeaking "Fuck OFFFFF!!!" and doing a spazzy little dance of fear.

TraceyQ

So gay. That method sounds just like the way my Grandad would keep bears away from the tent at night when we went camping in his back garden as kids. He'd drink a four pack of lager in the garden while we made our beds for the night and leave the plastic thingy that keeps all the cans together outside the door to the tent. "....And when you wake up in the morning, kids, look outside and I promise you there will be no bears....".