Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Zelda

Started by syntaxerror, December 06, 2014, 06:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syntaxerror

So gameplay footage of the upcoming Wii U zelda title has been released, and I'm excited - I fucking love a bit of Zelda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0y4hv62YEw&spfreload=10

I've yet to play a Zelda game I haven't liked.

Kelvin

What a whirlwind of emotions that trailer put me through. Initially, I was delirious with excitement; it looks amazing, it's a huge, open world, with hints of the best aspects of modern Zelda games, and it looks like it might be set after Skyward Sword, which had a good story to tell, and ends on a high note, setting up a whole new story about the birth of Hyrule.   

But now, having watched it a few times, I'm quite worried. The world looks utterly devoid of life and character, the walls and flatter surfaces look blurry and ugly when you look at them for a moment, and the controller - which I love generally - looks like it's being used for it's single worst and most misguided function; aiming. These are all huge problems, for me.

But then, Zelda has become a strange series, in the last ten years, really. Each 3D installment has been held back by a small handful of massive issues; the original Gamecube version of Windwaker had it's Triforce quest and wind direction/sailing mechanic, Twilight Princess had it's empty overworld and magic bug hunts, and Skyward Sword had it's dowsing and endless fetch quests. They really need to get back to the simplicity of design and gameplay that made the 2D Zelda's, Ocarina and Majoras Mask so wonderful to play.

The series remain's consistently great, without a doubt. But, with the exception of the refined HD remake of Windwaker, the series hasn't gone beyond that, into something truly magical, since Majora's Mask.

madhair60

I'm not the biggest fan of the 3D Zeldas.  Admittedly I've not really put a huge amount of time into them, but to me the appeal of the series is in the "puzzle box" dungeons.  I'm not really thrilled about the Skyrim-aping open-world thing...

syntaxerror

I wouldn't read too much into it just yet? I guess we don't know how final that footage is - I think the fact that  they had the sense to address some of the more common complaints when remastering Wind Waker shows inspires confidence. WWHD had gamepad aiming, and I didn't care for it much, but there was an option to turn it off. I've always felt the franchise to be linear and repetitive, but I've never found that to be an issue - The sense of exploration and curiosity has always felt rewarded. If there's something to do at each and every turn, it ceases to excite after a while.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on December 06, 2014, 07:35:09 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of the 3D Zeldas.  Admittedly I've not really put a huge amount of time into them, but to me the appeal of the series is in the "puzzle box" dungeons.  I'm not really thrilled about the Skyrim-aping open-world thing...

You should try Skyward Sword, if you haven't already. The dungeons in that are the best in the series, I think. I've said it before, but the final dungeon, where you have to collect the three parts of the Triforce by moving the rooms of the dungeon like a rubik's cube, is my favourite game puzzle evur!!!

Kelvin

Quote from: syntaxerror on December 06, 2014, 07:38:27 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it just yet? I guess we don't know how final that footage is - I think the fact that  they had the sense to address some of the more common complaints when remastering Wind Waker shows inspires confidence. WWHD had gamepad aiming, and I didn't care for it much, but there was an option to turn it off.

Yeah, I'm hoping the motion controlled aiming can be turned off. It probably can, if it's like Windwaker HD.

I'm more worried about the empty game world, post Twilight Princess. Again, though, this might be early footage, or footage from early in the game, or footage chosen to focus on the environment, instead of the characters. I'm still very optimistic, really, and whatever happens, I can't imagine a Zelda game will be anything less than very good.     

Zelda was probably the best game series I'd ever played until March this year. Skyward Sword was the best experience I'd ever had with a game, as an adult. The Last Of Us was pretty close, I loved that world so much and the stories told in circumstantial detail. Far Cry 3 and Skyrim both gave me an unparalleled sense of freedom and joy of exploration but Skyward Sword had it all, plus the moments of sheer unexpected delight that Nintendo do better than anyone, arguably. The flooded forest with that watercolour brush art design was probably the most beautiful area I'd ever seen in a game.

Dark Souls has ruined this kind of game now, just realised when I started thinking how cool that Zelda looked and then some absolute clown cartoon enemy popped up and waited to get shot and I just realised that game combat has been rekt. Imagine the Zelda art/vibes with Skyrim sized world and the physical weight and lore of Dark Souls.