Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Uncharted 4.

Started by mobias, December 06, 2014, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

The more I play Horizon the more I think it might be the prettiest game ever made, the lushness and variety of the landscapes and the lighting is just consistently amazing. The gameplay is fun (climbing on top of a giant derpy dinosaur is a total joy) and aside from the stilted voice acting in the secondary characters, the story gets better as it goes along. It's a great game.

It does look absolutely amazing, even in comparison to AC Odyssey. I went back to HZD yesterday to see how it holds up against the next wave of open world games. I'd say it looks better than Odyssey in some respects and worse in others. RDR2 fucks them both in the eye socket.

biggytitbo

I was thinking about it in comparison to Origins (not played Odyssey but it looks ner identical), which is another staggering beautiful game, and I think it is probably technically better (albeit i was playing it on a PC) but Horizon is a lot more artful. The one thing that lets Horizon down is there's a fair bit of pop in of lighting and shadows, and the water isn't the best. But 90% of the time its just the most striking looking game I have ever played.

biggytitbo

I'm playing last of us remastered now, and I'm.not very impressed so far. Feels clunkier than uncharted 3 did and this is 2 years later.

It's a slower paced game, more realistic weight to it. More brutal. Nothing like fuckstarting some deadite's swede with a brick.

biggytitbo

It's getting better, but the core gameplay is still the perfunctory stealth and crate moving from Uncharted 3 and 4. There's just not that much to it is there?

The gameplay, absolutely not. It does open up as you get more weapons and have more options but the first, I dunno, ten hours are a slog from a gameplay perspective. It's all about the characters and the world building for me but already feels like something I could never replay.

biggytitbo

Why are there so many planks all over the place.

And ladders and crates and why can't she swim and...?

The gameplay is already pretty dated.

biggytitbo

Definetly is starting to up its game with a significant improvement to the environments and level design. The whole section of the game set in the hotel is great.

popcorn

I recall the opening chapters of Last of Us being a bit strange. Technically impressive, but sort of stilted in terms of level design and general direction. I recall some of the early stealth encounters being a bit confusing or bland, like that big dark empty car park full of zombies it's easy to get lost in.

I didn't get really into the game until I'd been with Ellie for a while. But then I got really into it. I think it's very difficult not to feel very emotionally invested by the final acts - you really feel like you've come a long way.

Also definitely agree with that. I think the world, while obviously restricted in terms of gameplay, has an amazing power of suggestion.

biggytitbo

Second half is pretty good all in all, but the ending is disappointing. It felt like it was building up to a big heart tugger but then it just ends on a fib. I guess you could say that is sophisticated storytelling but doesn't quite land for me.

Also the girl in this is a right potty mouth, disgraceful.

You're mad! It's not about what he says, it's her reaction that's massive. I'd recommend the DLC Left Behind, as well. Cheap these days and excellent, also explains a few key things and gives another layer to that ending.

biggytitbo

It's very well done, nuanced and ambiguous, but it does feel like the appropriate ending based on what went before, that would be him getting infected and the girl having to shoot him.

Left behind is part of the remastered version, so will probably give it a go.

That would be a terrible ending, undermining the whole relationship of circumstance which drives the entire thing! In my opinion. Anyway, yeah, it's only a few hours long, and well well worth anyone's time. It's not some bullshit.

popcorn

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 15, 2018, 06:48:34 AM
It's very well done, nuanced and ambiguous, but it does feel like the appropriate ending based on what went before, that would be him getting infected and the girl having to shoot him.

That would be the biggest cliche of the entire zombie genre. It would have nothing to do with the actual themes of the story. It's just exciting because it's grisly.

biggytitbo

Quote from: popcorn on November 15, 2018, 07:25:21 AM
That would be the biggest cliche of the entire zombie genre. It would have nothing to do with the actual themes of the story. It's just exciting because it's grisly.

Saying its a cliche is like saying its a cliche that Mario jumps.

In a world that is reduced to unremitting, nihilistic brutality where life is incredibly cheap and fleeting and getting close to another human being is tough as they'll probably die hideously and then try and eat your face, its what would probably happen.  After the incredible amount of risks, lucky escapes and mass murders they commit, the realistic thing at least is that their luck runs out and one of them dies, and thats what the story heavily flags too. That said, I'm probably of that opinion because the Joel character is such a cunt and its what he had coming, but maybe that could be reconciled, and a much better and more challenging ending delivered if it left the final choice of whether to drive off with Ellie or hand her over to the player, then at least you get to decide how much of a cunt you are?

popcorn

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 15, 2018, 08:35:26 AM

Saying its a cliche is like saying its a cliche that Mario jumps.

No that's a moronic thing to say.

edit: I apologise for this unkind kneejerk reaction. Allow me to rephrase: biggy, you're mental to the max and no mistake.

biggytitbo

People having to kill their loved ones before they turn into a zombie and eat them is what would happen all the time in an actual zombie apocalypse where most of the population gets infected, so its kind of silly to call it a cliche. Ohh look, that cowboy is riding a horse and having a gun fight, what a cliche!

popcorn

Haven't you just finished the game? Have you forgotten that Sam turns into a zombie and and his brother has to shoot him? How many times do you need it to happen?

You're skirting close to clicheville by doing a zombie story in the first place. It's not a requirement that you then tick every fucking box.

biggytitbo

Alright then, he doesn't turn into a zombie, he falls off the roof of a gutted old bus trying to retrieve a ladder that is inexplicably up there and bangs his head on a discarded brick someone left lying around, subsequently dying of a brain haemorrhage. Just wanted to see the twat die.

popcorn

Well, that almost happens too. The only difference is that he eventually recovers instead of dying. What have you got against Joel?

biggytitbo

Didn't you realise he's the villain?

Playing this DLC, and whilst it's great fun to play out an adolescent lesbian romance, Ellie girlfriends face is easily the scariest thing in the entire game. Let the work experience kid do the motion capture that day by the looks of it.

New Jack

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 15, 2018, 09:30:24 PM
Ellie girlfriends face is easily the scariest thing in the entire game.

biggytitbo

Don't do that! I mean the bizarre motion capture and the fact it keeps changing size.

Thursday

It's okay biggy, we already know you're a massive racist.

biggytitbo

It'd be more racist not to mention it - which makes you the real racists.