Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Uncharted 4.

Started by mobias, December 06, 2014, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 28, 2015, 11:10:20 PM

I've heard this mentioned before but seems odd to single out unchartered when it occurs in countless other games and many many films aswell. One of the inspirations of the game is Indiana Jones and one of that film series most fsmous and beloved moments is Indy simply murdering some bloke waving some swords about in raiders, purely as a throwaway gag. It's an interesting dilemma for modern games hthough, as they become more realistic so do the baddies you have to kill, which makes it seem more problematic when they were just a few coloured pixels.

It never bothered me that much but I think people find it more jarring in Uncharted because it gets the cut-scenes so right. Not that there amazing storytelling or anything, but technically there very good without much of the uncanny valley problems you get with other games. Which is why it's weirder when you remember Nathan Drake is a man who's killed hundreds of people. And yes they attack him first, but he's usually only setting out on these adventures because he wants to get a rare treasure so he can make money.

Famous Mortimer

I don't know that I'd single Uncharted out (although it's certainly an issue). Tomb Raider and all the GTAs have humour in them in the middle of killing hundreds, and you can play a psychopath in hundreds of others. 

biggytitbo

Quote from: Consignia on December 28, 2015, 11:10:58 PM
I believe Sony really pushed them as flagship titles and that's why they are held with such high regards with out being much, relative, cop.

I like them because I think they're good games.

Jerzy Bondov

Not remotely bothered about the number of people you kill in these. They're all fuckers trying to murder you and they gloat when they succeed. What's Drake meant to do, tell them off? They need shooting. Fuck em.

brat-sampson

Hooooo boy...

(new story trailer) I honestly don't know how they do it, but this is definitely the best looking game I've ever seen. Just incredible.

Jerzy Bondov

Onken

Day one and I would've ordered the special edition if it was more than a plastic figure.

Hollow

I don't care about any amount of people i 'kill' in videogames, nor should any of you.

It's silly, like you think there's some karmic weight to offing some code.

I'm a pacifist and I see no conflict with the digital mass murderer i also am.

I like the first couple of levels of the Shadow Warrior update, before it's all cop out demons, more like that please.

Beagle 2

Aw man, I wanted to play through the others before this came out, but I've only got as far as halfway through 2.

I might preorder a game for the first time ever! Citing.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Hollow on February 24, 2016, 05:19:21 PM
I don't care about any amount of people i 'kill' in videogames, nor should any of you.

It's silly, like you think there's some karmic weight to offing some code.

I'm a pacifist and I see no conflict with the digital mass murderer i also am.

I like the first couple of levels of the Shadow Warrior update, before it's all cop out demons, more like that please.
I think it's more a bit of fun to think about - if you were Drake and you'd killed as many people as he has, how would you feel? Doesn't stop you from enjoying the games (I bloody love 'em myself, even if it's getting a bit daft that he keeps getting together with the blonde lady at the end).

brat-sampson

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 24, 2016, 05:20:41 PM
Aw man, I wanted to play through the others before this came out, but I've only got as far as halfway through 2.

I might preorder a game for the first time ever! Citing.

You've got a couple of months, and they're not really that long. Probably 8-12 hrs each by my rough memories.

Shay Chaise

I love the exploration and atmosphere and scenery, kind of like the characters, but find the gameplay non-existent/basic. This doesn't bother me in most cinematic games, like TLOU or even The Order 1886 but there's so so much of it in UC, it takes me out of the atmosphere. I don't especially mind the dated cover gunplay, it's the platforming sections which get on my wick, because there's no skill involved and no stakes or reward. Even if he appears to be clinging on desperately, you don't need to react quickly or input anything special or well timed, just continue to point in the direction of the yellow/white ledges/objects and hit jump jump jump. Tomb Raider built upon this with some minor adjustments that made traversal feel less on rails and more varied/skilful. I'd love to see UC4 really push the boat out with the traversal (and gunplay) to try to match the cinematic grandeur and maintain the excitement. As it is, I find the game gets in its own way.

That trailer looks absolutely remarkable, though. A gulf between that and anything else on the console.

Osmium

The trailer link up there no longer works because someone at Naughty Dog nicked some Assassin's Creed concept art, here's a new one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh5HV4iic1Y

brat-sampson

Hah, I read about that. It's a really lazy reason to have to re-upload a trailer, but at least they were able to fix it pretty quickly.

mobias

Has anyone downloaded the multiplayer open beta thats available over this weekend? Just had my first go at it this evening. Its very impressive. It doesn't look quite as good as the demos and trailers we've seen because apparently the multiplayer has been given a graphics downgrade to keep things running at 60fps. That being said it still looks incredible and the character animations and environmental physics are incredibly impressive. Can't wait to play the finished game, the single player really will be something to behold.

Shay Chaise

I played the previous beta, good fun and looked great. Not as deep or tactical as Last of Us MP but a good taster before the main game drops. I don't expect I'd ever play it after this weekend but worth it for another glimpse given the main game has been further delayed til May.

mobias

Looking good. Also looks like driving is a big new element to the game. Stunning environments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoex6qNW6lI

mobias

A few retailers have inevitably broken the release date and given out copies of this early. First impressions are extremely positive, easily on a par with Uncharted 2 by the sounds of things. Sounds like it relies less on big shoot outs and has more exploring and problem/puzzle solving, which is a good thing I think. A few people have finished it in around 15 hours or so, its about the same length as the others too.

One interesting spoiler free thing I've heard about it is that the difficulty levels are more dynamic than in past games. Its not just a case of giving you less ammo and more damage to bullets at higher difficulty levels. The game AI will apparently employ different tactics and give adversaries more powerful weapons to use. As well as the new open world approach to explore it sounds like there's more of a reason to play the game multiple times.   

Well, my copy is due to arrive on release date. The question is do I take the day off or the following day?

mobias

The reviews are out. Pretty much everyone is predictably gushing and giving it straight 10/10's. Games Radar are being more reserved. Sounds like the first 5 hours of it is one long interactive cutscene before the actual game begins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwGNOYYNvPQ  I generally find that once the dust settles reviews like this one are usually more on the ball.

It does look incredible though.

So this is out today, my copy is awaiting my arrival. Anyone playing it yet?

mobias

I've got it downloaded and waiting for me but I'm not going to get much of a chance to play until the weekend now :(

I'm hearing slightly mixed things about it in so far as people seem to be saying it's the most incredible game yet made but....

It sounds like it's got its story problems and doesn't really do anything the other Uncharted's do but with much better graphics and physics. Still, if it ain't broke why fix it eh?

Timothy

It's great. The storyline works really really well and there are a lot of new game mechanisms that make the game a lot more fun. Best Uncharted game yet.

Shay Chaise

Goodness me.

There have been some sensational looking games over the past year, from MGSV to Witcher 3 toThe Order 1886 to Bloodborne to Dark Souls 3 and more I'm sure I've forgotten.

Without doubt, Uncharted 4 is the best looking game ever made.

I'm no particular fan of Uncharted, I find the gameplay very cookie cutter and the canned over-animation quite distracting. This appears to have much much more subtlety and a sense of weight to the characters and world. The lighting is so gorgeous, I felt a sense of place immediately. Quite a weird feeling, in fact, and something brand new for me. It's not photorealism, it's more a sense of life. Like, how the world of TLOU was very lived in, this is 'existent'. Maybe someone else can explain better, I didn't expect this, anyway.

Shay Chaise

Ugh. The greatest facial capture, motion capture and voicework ever. The facial stuff is ludicrous, so subtle and rich and expressive. It's like the most engaging conversations of TLOU but every time. Like, I'm watching this and admiring the acting, not simply the graphics. The fucking acting. Bonkers.

biggytitbo

How long before video game actors are nominated for an Oscar?

Hollow

Bah, I'll tell you what I reckon about this in about three months time, when poor cunts like me can afford it.

Of course no one will give a shit by then.

Not that they do now

Shay Chaise

I've laughed, I've gasped, I've got a lump in my throat. I keep catching myself smiling and grinning and agog. I haven't once been tempted to skip any dialogue, every conversation is so engaging and real.

Don't worry if you can't play for a while, this won't be superceded any time soon.

Even the shooting feels like it has some weight, finally. Machine guns really have proper impact and you feel the force of your bullets putting a bad guy to ground.

Thursday

Very interested in this now, I'd always quite liked the games but found them massively overrated and it seems like people who share my view really like this. Think I might wait a bit for the next bank holiday weekend though.

Hollow

If as shay says they've got the bullet impacts right this will be special indeed, as that was a huge flaw, possibly apart from some cookie cutter climbing was 2's only real flaw.