Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game tropes

Started by syntaxerror, December 10, 2014, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody Soup

as the need for character development expands in sandbox games expands I'm always a bit put off by how massively  compromised my character's actions and his motivations get.

there's a mission where you get involved in the boston riots in Assassins Creed III, you get framed for starting it, have everyone chase you and have to run off. I got bored by being caught by guards on this mission and just got a bit caught up in practicing fighting combo moves. I think I killed about 500 of constantly regenerating redcoats. Finished with that and met up with my mentor guy only for my character to start whining about "not having done anything wrong." nothing apart from having increased the death toll of the real boston massacre by 10000% and becoming perhaps the single most notorious mass murderer in history.

Red dead remption was the same "I'm john marston, I'm a good guy at heart with some moral dilemas about my past life as criminal." my kill total for the game after I left mexico was between 700-800 people.

Hangthebuggers

The whole Aeris thing worked though, after all she was the healer and a necessary party member. Sephiroth killing her was an outstanding moment methinks.

Thursday

Quote from: BPFHAY on December 11, 2014, 05:08:50 PM

I think that revives in RPGs usually means bringing them back from being knocked out.

Shh, don't let logic get in the way of this joke people have been making about RPG's for decades.

Obel

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on December 11, 2014, 05:16:41 PM
The whole Aeris thing worked though, after all she was the healer and a necessary party member. Sephiroth killing her was an outstanding moment methinks.

Oh yeah it's a great moment. But I couldn't help but be like "USE A PHOENIX DOWN CLOUD! COME ON"

BPFHAY

BPFHAY

It's good this, I'm like one of the young folk.

Cerys

Aeris was a clingy bitch.  I kept her dead for the vast majority of the game, and she still dragged Cloud off on a date.

Obel

Quote from: BPFHAY on December 11, 2014, 05:08:50 PM

I think that revives in RPGs usually means bringing them back from being knocked out.

Mate, I've had enemies fire meteors from space at my team and a revive has brought them back. A dinky little sword in comparison should be a light graze

BPFHAY

The meteors only knocked them out. Fuck you.

Thursday

Tifa is clearly the real hero of FFVII anyway.

NoSleep

A chair is preventing me from walking around this table. They both seem to be glued to the floor.

Mister Six

Quote from: Cerys on December 11, 2014, 02:41:03 PM
You've been running around, demonstrating your stamina and agility.  Can you bunny-hop over that tiny fence?  Can you buggery.

Similarly, you're a TRAINED ARMY KILLMONSTER but you can only sprint for five seconds before slowing down and clutching your ribs.

chand

Quote from: Nobody Soup on December 11, 2014, 05:13:37 PMRed dead remption was the same "I'm john marston, I'm a good guy at heart with some moral dilemas about my past life as criminal." my kill total for the game after I left mexico was between 700-800 people.

Yeah, I remember GTA IV had a 'moral decision' moment where I got to choose whether to kill a bad boss man or take pity on him and leave him sobbing. Gave me the chance to walk away thinking "Nah, I'm better than that", which was slightly undermined by the fact that I'd slaughtered a few dozen of his low-level goons and presumably orphaned any number of children for the sake of money and/or power before that. I appreciate that giving me the option to go legit, get married and take a steady office job in an ethical company would make for a boring game, I just find the 'Hey, you're a good guy!' back-slapping a bit perfunctory in games where I'm a gun-toting angel of death for the most part.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: NoSleep on December 11, 2014, 07:25:53 PM
A chair is preventing me from walking around this table. They both seem to be glued to the floor.

Alternatively, the metal chair I walked into has just flown across the room and bounced off the wall. These ceramic vases and bowls are atomised by every bullet I fire.

The Roofdog

A specific one as I've only recently bought and become obsessed with Arkham Asylum in a Steam sale, but "this area is falling apart, it's too dangerous to use the grapple here" - but the line launcher is fine? Give over, the Batman.

Bhazor

One dumb trope I've been seeing a lot recently is where the designer thinks "We need this character to kill someone as part of their emotional arc. But we want to make sure theres no questionable morality to it so the player doesn't think too much about it or lose sympathy for the main character. So lets have them kill the most ridiculous cartoony villain we can think of."

Walking Dead
Spoiler alert
had Clementine killing a child abducting mad man who talks to the severed head of his wife which he keeps in a bowling bag
[close]

Bioshock Infinite
Spoiler alert
had my waifu killing a child murdering black supremacist
[close]

Last of Us had
Spoiler alert
Clement-Ellie killing a deranged cult leader pedophile cannibal who rants like Cobra Commander as he chases a 16 year old girl through a burning building
[close]

All followed by pained soul searching to which the player just shrugs their shoulders and goes "Well they really were dicks" and gets back to killing humans by the score.

Edit: You nerds happy yet? Is this not enough?

kittens

fucking spoilers you cunt

Bhazor

Quote from: kittens on December 12, 2014, 05:28:05 PM
fucking spoilers you cunt

Hey I could have spoiled the ending of the new Mario game.

Pit-Pat

You put the things you're spoiling outside the spoiler bars obviously.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: chand on December 12, 2014, 09:04:55 AM
Yeah, I remember GTA IV had a 'moral decision' moment where I got to choose whether to kill a bad boss man or take pity on him and leave him sobbing. Gave me the chance to walk away thinking "Nah, I'm better than that", which was slightly undermined by the fact that I'd slaughtered a few dozen of his low-level goons and presumably orphaned any number of children for the sake of money and/or power before that. I appreciate that giving me the option to go legit, get married and take a steady office job in an ethical company would make for a boring game, I just find the 'Hey, you're a good guy!' back-slapping a bit perfunctory in games where I'm a gun-toting angel of death for the most part.

Niko Bellic was such a bellend.

Niko: "When you've seen 20 babies' bonces bashed in with batons......that kind of thing haunts a man.....every waking moment...."
Man You've Just Met: "Yes yes yes. Anyways, can you please kneecap this innocent binman who looked at me funny the other day...for cash!"
Niko: "Okay dokey!"

It maybe didn't go down exactly like that, but from what I recall that was the general gist of the man. No wonder I kept crashing my car and making him go flying through the windscreen.

DangledTeeth

Wise Village Elder: You overcame the arduous trials set in the Caverns of Inferno and have obtained the Magic Staff as your reward. You must progress, young adventurer, in to the lair of the laser beam-shooting, gigantic cyclops. Remember to make good use your new weapon, which you can equip by pressing the Start button and selecting the desired weapon with the Circle button. Aim by holding down L1, and toggle between normal arrows and magic arrows by pressing R1.

Sword-wielding Hero: What?!

Bhazor

I've always wondered how they pronounce "To hit press (L1) + (X)"

wooders1978

If you are playing a game where you can shoot a gun, eventually you will have to shoot things from a moving vehicle and it will be really tedious and difficult

Consignia

Games which have trials, and you've worked out who the culprit is, but you to go through the tedious process of the protagonist accusing the wrong person, going through long paths and red herrings to reach the obvious conclusion.

Urinal Cake

The older, more experienced party member who is only a few levels higher than you and learns new skills at the same rate as you.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 12, 2014, 03:59:27 PM
A specific one as I've only recently bought and become obsessed with Arkham Asylum in a Steam sale, but "this area is falling apart, it's too dangerous to use the grapple here" - but the line launcher is fine? Give over, the Batman.

I seem to remember there's a few cut scenes in the Arkham games where it's like I've just kicked the shit out of 20 goons and now I'm standing here for a minute because some chump has a gun pointed at me?

Thursday

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 13, 2014, 07:33:42 PM
If you are playing a game where you can shoot a gun, eventually you will have to shoot things from a moving vehicle and it will be really tedious and difficult

Maybe if you're shit at games mate.

Viero_Berlotti

Being able to anticipate an ambush because of all the obvious and handy things to crouch and hide behind when you walk into a new area.

Mobius

Being All Powerful at the start of the game then something happens 5 minutes in and you lose all your abilities, and then have to spend the rest of the game gradually earning them all back again.