Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,475
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game tropes

Started by syntaxerror, December 10, 2014, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jack McBastard

There's treasure chests up frigging mountains instead of buried by palm trees.

Big Jack McBastard

or they're on top of only the very tallest buildings.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: DangledTeeth on December 12, 2014, 08:27:38 PM
Wise Village Elder: <snip>.Remember to make good use your new weapon, which you can equip by pressing the Start button and selecting the desired weapon with the Circle button. Aim by holding down L1, and toggle between normal arrows and magic arrows by pressing R1.

Sword-wielding Hero: What?!

Ahh yes the *very highest* quality of immersion there.

After hearing something like that the thought always arises: "Is everything that follows going to be equally moron friendly/4th wall shattering? Should, I just stop now...?"

NoSleep

Quote from: Mobius on December 14, 2014, 12:12:43 AM
Being All Powerful at the start of the game then something happens 5 minutes in and you lose all your abilities, and then have to spend the rest of the game gradually earning them all back again.

Never forget your amnesia.

Thursday

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on December 14, 2014, 12:05:21 AM
Being able to anticipate an ambush because of all the obvious and handy things to crouch and hide behind when you walk into a new area.

Also seeing a body that's lying on the floor that's obviously going to get up and attack you, but you can shoot it from a safe distance all you want, it's still going to get up and attack you.

Thursday

Monsters that carry human currency, rare weapons, healing items, keys etc.

Bhazor

Quote from: Mobius on December 14, 2014, 12:12:43 AM
Being All Powerful at the start of the game then something happens 5 minutes in and you lose all your abilities, and then have to spend the rest of the game gradually earning them all back again.

I actually really like that trope. The idea of a ten minute tutorial that teaches you how to use every mechanic in the game and then takes them away and says "Now earn it nerd". To me its far better than the current norm of having constant tutorials through the whole damn game. It also works really well in RPG or games with upgrades. You essentially get a little taste of how each class works, how each weapon type feels, which combat style you like and lets you then make an informed decision when you reach the character creation screen.

As long as you get all that shit back about 1/3 through and you end up being Super Nashwan by 2/3 I'm down with that trope.

Cerys

Fucking annoying fishing games.  Sod you, Cid.  Get better you decrepit old fuck.

kittens

i have never played a video game in which green barrels release poison gas

THIS THREAD IS BASED ON FALLACY

madhair60

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on December 14, 2014, 12:05:21 AM
Being able to anticipate an ambush because of all the obvious and handy things to crouch and hide behind when you walk into a new area.

God, yes.  Dead Space 2 and 3, as much as I love them, were so bad for this.  Wide open room with a series of crates?  Better get ready to fight the CHICKEN RAPTORS

Bhazor

Its like that in every third person game. Conspicuous chest high cover? Better save the game. It's up there with an NPC saying "Are you sure you want to go in there? It may be a while before you can come back." "(1) Yes (2) Wait, let me get ready".

Thursday

That one is always appreciated though, nothing worse than a game with an open world that suddenly cuts you off from somewhere without warning.

hoverdonkey

Finding a huge stash of goodies, weapons, health etc should be a relief, but it just means there's a bastard boss level around the corner.

Cerys

Prologues in which you can't perform simple actions that are totally possible during the rest of the game.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't know if it counts as a trope exactly, but not using your best weapon because you think you'll need it at some later point.

MojoJojo

That website we're all politely pretending doesn't exists refers to that as "Too Awesome To Use".

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 21, 2014, 02:32:48 PM
That website we're all politely pretending doesn't exists refers to that as "Too Awesome To Use".

Ah, maybe that's how people feel about my cock.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on December 21, 2014, 02:35:58 PM
Ah, maybe that's how people feel about my cock.
Politely pretending doesn't exist?

FredNurke

I was rudely ignoring TVCunts, I'll have you know.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 22, 2014, 08:47:16 AM
Politely pretending doesn't exist?

There's nothing polite about it.

Or much pretending for that matter.

Big Jack McBastard

A coloured bit of card can open a door but a shotgun and multiple grenades cannot even dent it.

Floors are invincible. (Unless you're playing the first Red Faction).

The most mass-murderous, wanton and sadistically dangerous characters are the most vaunted and celebrated (oh hang on that's true IRL too isn't it).

Shopkeepers are utterly oblivious to their shelves suddenly becoming empty as long as they don't see you doing it.

You can carry the whole shops stock in your back, dead easy.

Bandages cure bullets.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on December 23, 2014, 09:35:53 AM

Bandages cure bullets.

Or as of the recent trend of modern FPS games, hiding behind a little bit of shelter for twenty seconds. With nothing more damaging than blurred vision.

Big Jack McBastard

I remember playing some balls hard section of Rainbow Six (2?) (industrial area with a load of snipers) and my mate's Dad said saw me get clipped a couple of times before I got to cover and he said:

"Can't you die then?"

Ahh out of the mouths of Olds.

That's not terribly fair though cos that game was a bugger for headshots getting you.

wooders1978

Flushable toilets pop up on the reg in games as well

gmoney

That's a real life trope too.

popcorn

Puzzles that involve aligning mirrors to reflect beams of light. Off the top of my head:

Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Sonic Adventure
Uncharted 2
Ico
Portal 2 (sorta)

popcorn

Quote from: chand on December 11, 2014, 10:50:18 AM
Yes, also audio recordings in various forms, needlessly filling in tedious bits of background that we've already figured out.

Used to write these for a living. A terrible job.

Most writing in video games amounts to a designer saying "I've got two security guards by this door, so we need to have a conversation you can overhear" and then some poor fucker having to come up with Security Guard Conversation #312 just for the sake of it being there rather than responding to a real need for character or story. Yes, this is an opportunity to develop character and story, but not by Security Guard Conversation #312, it's not.

When I play a game like Deus Ex Human Revolution now and NPCs say things like "Wait a minute... did I see something move?!" my mind's eye fills with Excel spreadsheets thousands of cells long full of things like "Huh? What was that?" and "What the...?!"

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: popcorn on December 31, 2014, 05:41:00 PM
Puzzles that involve aligning mirrors to reflect beams of light. Off the top of my head:

Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Sonic Adventure
Uncharted 2
Ico
Portal 2 (sorta)

Yes! Also in Lego City Undercover.

Some old 2d platforming ones.

Levels with annoying Water/ Ice Physics.
Collecting points by getting random floating objects.
Insides of houses that are too long, have too many doors, floors and stairs.