Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Angelos and Barry Show

Started by Rolf Lundgren, December 22, 2014, 06:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

Anyone else listening to these podcasts? Angelos Epithemiou and Barry from Watford spend about 40 minutes talking about whatever comes to mind. It's silly good fun and seems to be gaining in popularity as they've recorded the latest one as a live version.

Alex Lowe also seems to be doing alright at the moment popping up in Toast of London and the House of Fools Christmas Special.

Replies From View

I can't get on with them yet.  I always delete them from my Fubar podcast list in iTunes so that they don't play by mistake after an Ed Gamble or Ray Peacock show.  I'd love to know what anyone likes about them because, put off by their grating voices and quite poor improvisation in the openings at least, I've never given them more than a few minutes before turning off.

Are you talking about their Fubar show though?  Maybe not.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 22, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
Are you talking about their Fubar show though?  Maybe not.

No, they now have their own separate/independent podcast.

I really like them, myself.  I've always liked Alex Lowe and he works really well with Dan Renton Skinner. 

Their old FUBAR show was the only thing on the station that I've bothered listening to.

These new podcasts are just a really easy listen, and it's good fun hearing them occasionally making each other laugh and trying not to break character.  (There was an incident in an episode a couple of weeks ago involving the tasting of a "soft muffin" which really was funny).

I can imagine they might be a bit of a struggle to get into if you've never heard any Barry from Watford or Angelos stuff before but, if you're familiar with the characters and like them, I'd recommend giving these a go. 

Replies From View

Can you recommend a good place to start?  My only listenings so far have given the impression that these two men do endless, strained, Count Arthur Strong voices and hold back their own laughter as they improvise stuff that isn't at all funny.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Replies From View on December 22, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
I'd love to know what anyone likes about them because, put off by their grating voices and quite poor improvisation in the openings at least, I've never given them more than a few minutes before turning off.

As a place to start I'd say their podcasts from about 5 or 6 weeks ago as they're up and running by that point and after any early teething problems. I think a lot of it will hang on whether you like their voices, for me a big part of what's funny is the way Barry from Watford screeches at random.

The improvising could be better but usually it works. Them reading out the letters from the head of Audible have been brilliant lately and their roll calls of who's coming on the next show always gets a laugh.

Ringside

I've been enjoying this more as time goes on, I liked the first few episodes but of late it's had me in stitches.

tinner777

hi lads,

I love this kind of stuff. Are there any other comedians in the same vein???

Thanks

PlanktonSideburns

is gittins the same as these guys? all i can hear is a crazy noise coming out of my phone when i listen to either of their podcasts, but maybe i just dont get it. wont be the first insance

DrGreggles

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 09, 2020, 07:46:01 PM
is gittins the same as these guys?

God, no!
Gittins & Friends is one of the funniest and most inventive pods out there.

PlanktonSideburns

wheres a good place to start with that one? i had a go once and its mysteries were not revealed to me

DrGreggles

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 09, 2020, 07:57:34 PM
wheres a good place to start with that one? i had a go once and its mysteries were not revealed to me

I think it took me about 10 episodes to get it.
Once I realised it was nothing to do with Brian or the guest and all about David Edwards (and Charles Petrescu) I was hooked.

No idea why it's actually funny, but I laugh so much.

PlanktonSideburns

DrGreggles

David Edwards has been doing commentaries on a few episodes on his Twitch channel, which have been gloriously shambolic. https://www.twitch.tv/davidedwardstravels

I'd recommend any BG&F fans check those out.

tinner777

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 09, 2020, 07:56:16 PM
God, no!
Gittins & Friends is one of the funniest and most inventive pods out there.
So, this has just turned dark, take him behind the shed for sex!!

Does it stay this way?