Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Electric Boogaloo

Started by VegaLA, December 23, 2014, 07:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

For those of us who fondly remember the 80s, VHS recorders and exploitation garbage.

http://vimeo.com/107973282

Stars Franco Nero and Molly Ringwald.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125501/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Hope its just as good as Machete Maidens unleashed.

Paaaaul

Oh. I've just watched a documentary on the Lifeforce Blu-ray called Cannon Fodder. It's primarily a making-of doc, but includes a lot about Cannon too. Will watch that ^ tomorrow.

steveh

See http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,43604.msg2366855.html

Released in the UK in the Spring tho there's an Australian DVD already out.

lazarou

Really need to track this one down, I loved their last two docs.

Not Quite Hollywood is one of my favourite documentaries. Still not seen this one yet.

Incandenza

Imported this earlier in the year, as a huge fan of Not Quite Hollywood and Machete Maidens. Found it a bit disappointing; to be fair I had been waiting for it for years since it was announced, so the hype may have harmed it, but I felt it was a bit rushed- Cannon made SO many films that there's not really any time to talk about many of them in a doc that's under two hours, and it's missing some really key players- neither of the brothers are on there, and neither are Chuck Norris or really anyone with many interesting anecdotes. It sorely needed a Taratino figure to help beef up the talking heads' energy. It also isn't structured properly, it's just one long dash through the years. The chapter system of Not Quite really helped make that doc something special.

Overall, it's good fun and worth a watch, but if you're expecting something on par with the other two films you'll be disappointed. It's not much more than a clips show.

lazarou

After watching it, I'd have to second a lot of that. Some frustratingly absent talking heads (you couldn't get the modern day, self-aware Van Damme even?) and it's missing a lot of the sheer joy and enthusiasm the other docs had. Felt like there was a lot of "actually most of it was shit" and much less enjoying the better stuff. Still worth a watch for fans of the material, I'd say, and I did enjoy some of the stories of more diva-ish/asshole behavior that they mightn't have gotten away with had certain talking heads shown up. Have to admit I got excited when the Franco Nero/Enter the Ninja stuff made a showing, but it was a shame Cannon folded right before Albert Pyun made Nemesis, so he just gets shoehorned it for Cyborg and some damage control at the end and not his weirder, more enjoyable trash.

Mentioned in the other thread but probably worth a bump: Contemporary Omnibus episode "The Last Moguls", produced in 1986 before things started going south for them.

VegaLA

Mr_Simnock

This type of thread is never as good as I remember them

Johnny Textface

Is this doc 'out there'?

VegaLA

I've yet to find either of them so if anyone does find one or the other do tell!!

SavageHedgehog

Johnny Textface

Bump to say this was ace. Could have done without the lingering shots of the Death Wish rape scenes though.

And how come I'd never heard of The Apple before? We immediately sought that out after watching this and it was a mesmerising nightmare to say the least.

SavageHedgehog

In the UK (where you may or may not live) it was released in cinema(s) as Star Rock, and as far as I can tell never released on video.

It just seems like the kind of film that would have found cult status through the net. Its brilliantly bad.

Jake Thingray

Joss Ackland is very funny about it in his autobiography. Saw the documentary a couple of nights ago, it's OK but as with a lot of documentaries these days, found the shortness of so many of the clips annoying, and a lot of the sources familiar. Namely, the BBC Omnibus on them linked to in the previous thread after Golan died, and a Siskel and Ebert report from Cannes, both quoted in Hollywood A Go-Go by Andrew Yule, an unflattering biography of the pair written and published just before it all went wrong.

Also, their taking money from the apartheid government to film rubbish in South Africa in the late 80's was skated over. As already remarked on, the EMI takeover and the destruction of what was left of the British film industry could have had a fuller examination; they were no strangers to British sleaze even before then, as after a quick shot of the trailer from Blood on Satan's Claw, with the definite article added for some reason, appears in the section on their earliest activities outside Israel, another annoyingly quick shot is clearly Astrid Frank from the highly artistic Au Pair Girls (1972).

steveh

Electric Boogaloo has a limited UK cinema release this week. It's also now out on iTunes, BFI Player, Amazon Instant Video, etc. Most people interested have probably already watched the rips by now though...