Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NME awards last night

Started by king mob, February 13, 2004, 01:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king mob

Theres a list of who won what here.

God help us all, Zane Lowe, The Libertines & the vastly overrated Kings of Leon all win awards!

Its enough to make you cynical.

chand

I dunno why people vote for Radiohead, it's not like they need any fucking awards, everyone's heard them and made their mind up about them already.

Inevitably, the NME awards are relelntlessly tedious for anyone who doesn't derive their entire musical taste from bands that have been on the NME cover.

Also, what's the point of having two 'new band' awards (which is what I assume the Philip Hall Radar Award is), and both a 'Godlike Genius' and 'Living Legend' award?

Honestly, anyone would think it was a useless load of back-slapping wank.

jutl

Yes - Zane Lowe really is a subhuman fuckflannel. I will continue to say this until he either dies or starts behaving like someone who isn't a subhuman fuckflannel. Somehow he seems to have lost the connection to the huge zeppelin-like clots of embarrassment that his desperate wannabe cool ought to cause him - and I end up feeling them for him vicariously. It is a testament to the forbearance of our celebrity classes that none of them have thrown both caution and their careers to the wind and throttled the little cunt mid-interview.

Timmay

Quote from: "king mob"the vastly overrated Kings of Leon all win awards!
What?!? I don't really like rock - I don't even know who the Pixies are, yet I'm going to see em - but I think you are very much mistaken there. No, I don't think it. You are very much mistaken.

And to prove it, would you believe this man...

smoker

since when is ozzy osbourne a godlike genius? i thought he was just a zombie-fied old has-been who everyone likes to feel sorry for while sniggering behind their hands at his incoherency and wasted body.

zane lowe - prick. do you talk like that in real-life jutl? if you do i'll invite you to my fantasy dinner party, there's a space now after holly valance threw her drink in my face and stormed out

king mob

Oh god, i forgot you took a picture of me with Nat's shades on.

ah you trendy you ;)

TotalNightmare

FUCKING RADIOHEAD...

Im not knocking their output... but really, they do fuck all and win Q or NME awards... and you're telling me that there aren't other bands out there doing better?

They may as well just create a BEST RADIOHEAD AWARD... but then that would probably get given to The Office.

Awards are shit.

Though i would still like one.

Timmay

Nat's shades. Heh... whatever. ;)

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: "jutl"It is a testament to the forbearance of our celebrity classes that none of them have thrown both caution and their careers to the wind and throttled the little cunt mid-interview.

Maybe cause he's usually too far up their arseholes for them to reach. The man has never asked a thoughtful, challenging question in his aimless, dreary life and I wish nothing but a horrid outbreak of pox on him.

king mob

Quote from: "Timmay"Nat's shades. Heh... whatever. ;)

Tsk.

zozman

Peronslly (and I know that this'll probably not go down well) I reckon Kings of Leon are superb.  Dunno what they're like as people, and I don't really care, but Youth and Young Manhood is a fucking top toppity-top album.

And as for the gods that are Pixies......  heh heh, going to see them in the summer!!!

king mob

Can we have a quick hands up to see if anyone likes Zane Lowe?

Anyone?

jutl

Quote from: "king mob"Can we have a quick hands up to see if anyone likes Zane Lowe?

Anyone?

Last time I lobbied for his deletion on here I'm sure someone stood up for him... maybe he has qualities I am not noticing.

fbb bastard

Quote from: "smoker"since when is ozzy osbourne a godlike genius?

very true....."living legend"/laughing stock/owner of almost scary constitution he may be.....but the spunk of no genius would ever produce jack osbourne.....tony iommi is more befitting the award but there isnt a show called "the iommis" on mtv is there?

(gritting teeth and holding back on a pro-radiohead rant)...looking forward to seeing this on channel 4 in the week...if only for the thom yorke/andy from little britain meeting........

zane lowe is okay....he was bloody brillaint at xfm..he is just in the wrong context at wun fm......

king mob

Quote from: "fbb bastard"
zane lowe is okay....he was bloody brillaint at xfm..he is just in the wrong context at wun fm......

We have one for Zane, any more?

hoverdonkey

I haven't heard Zane Lowe on Radio 1 but I would disagree that he was bloody brilliant at XFM. At first he was a breath of fresh air because he talked fast and seemed really enthusiastic about the music.

I think he has just become a caricature of himself now. A bit like how Richie Benaud looks more like his Spitting Image puppet than his Spitting Image puppet does. A bit.

king mob

When are the highlights of this on C4?

Purple Tentacle

Sort of related, there's a good article by Alex "Lovable ponce" James in The Gruniad here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1146448,00.html

about the Brits and award ceremonies in general.

Borboski

I'm sorry, I thought I knew who Zane Lowe was bit the guardian saturday TV supplement has confused me.

Is Zane the little aussie/american twat with the pissloop pre-reformation beard, who once said of the manics, "one of the best bands in the world, if not one of the best bands in the world"?

Or is he the little wee wet looking male TV presenter with dark floppy hair and little boy lost eyes that looks like one the presenters of monkey magic?

Because said TV guide had a picture of the second chap with Zane Lowe's name and now I'm not sure who he is.

Both of these people are evil and come the revolution, will be daubed with the mucky-brush and told to piss right off.

El Unicornio, mang

Oh god, this article on Radiohead by Caroline Sullivan is just stupid:

QuoteWhy does no one ever address the fact that their actual music is lumpen, ponderous and unlistenable? Like those leather-bound Shakespeare sets most people buy their CDs not to play but to leave on display to impress friends. (And before the peevish emails arrive - yes, I have the sensitivity of a rhinoceros, and wouldn't know a good song if I fell over it. Obviously.)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/regulars/ontherecord/story/0,12255,1132387,00.html

Mind, not surprising coming from someone who likes The Divine Comedy

mr rou-rou

Zane Lowe?

Twat on the radio, can't listen to the fucker, ship him and Westwood back across the water (yeah I know Timmy isn't really from the Bronx but someone tell him), I just can't listen to non English accented people on the radio, scarred by Kid Jensen from an early age I think *shudder*

however, I liked Zane when he did his new music show on MTV, he just introduced videos while sat in a chair, or sometimes pacing a minimally decorated room, having heard him in full gobbledegook_txtspk mode on radio1 I now realise he must have been very depressed back then, get sad soon Zane.

What's with all the hate for the NME, it's just the indie kids smash hits, or is it because it used to be a good read and now its something to skim?

edit: what a dopey fuck, he's Australian!!

Doctor Stamen

I think he's a Kiwi not an Aussie, though I might be wrong.

I've only heard him on R1 once but he does my head in on MTV2 and I can't bring myself to watch him.  He somehow manages to mention Queens Of The Stone Age in every fucking interview he does.  Twat.

mr rou-rou

buggering damnation, pin that bastard to a country before I explode in a puff of xenophobia.

QOTSA are a band I don't get, I think you need to like his voice perhaps, are they a guitar players band?
My housemate two turns into a gay air guitarist when they come on, is this representative of their fans?
I bite my knuckles at their popularity as I stab the fork of 'why oh why? in my leg.

Benny J. Fish

Quote from: "king mob"Can we have a quick hands up to see if anyone likes Zane Lowe?

Anyone?

I've just lopped both my arms off, and as a result am typing this with my nose.

I'm taking legal action against Zane Lowe for doing this to me

Rats

Bloody hell, didn't they used to give awards to promosing upcoming bands not run of the mill bland shite? or am I thinking of something else.

chand

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"What's with all the hate for the NME, it's just the indie kids smash hits, or is it because it used to be a good read and now its something to skim?

Until recently, I was buying it every week out of habit, and I noticed it was making me increasingly angry. For me it was the fact that, with the internet, I was starting to find out about much more music, and then I was reading NME to be subjected the same handful of fucking skinny white guitar boys. every week I'd say to myself 'Oh fuck, not THEM on the cover AGAIN!'.

They also had a retrospective bit where they lamented putting Godspeed on the cover as 'no-one had heard of them', and I remember thinking, isn't that what a New Music magazine is supposed to be doing? Being a bit interesting and promoting vaguely unusual bands? Instead it seemed to be so full of doctrine. You knew which bands were gonna get 9/10 album reviews months before the album came out.

Plus, it got boring reading about a load of bands saying how INSANE their tours were and how full of SEX and DRUGS and ROCK'N'ROLL they are.

mangoliver

NME is becoming increasingly shaft, but it's an enjoyable enough read on a lunch hour. Although  it's best read with a large dollop of cynicism to counteract the gushing OTT shit that saturates most issues.

But, there is no value to the NME awards at all. Surely the only point of an awards show is as a giant showbiz clusterfuck, glamour and all. A few hours of passably shit primetime TV. A score of mediocre indy bands having a piss up - who needs that?

The main awardwinners all, without fail, seem to be the type of band NME creams about on their cover every week, who needs telling again that NME thinks Kings of Leon are good or that the critics rate Radiohead?

chand

The 'concept' of the NME Awards is that it's supposed to be MAYHEM! Unlike the SELL-OUT Brits! People will go to the NME Awards and get drunk! And you too will wish you were as cool as some guy out of Lostprophets who drank til he was sick, or something.

In reality, it's just an excuse for the NME to pat themselves on the back about breaking certain bands over here through blanket coverage.

king mob

I think this picture sums up whats wrong with these awards

Kelly & Vernon together just sums up the fact its another version of the Brits

chand

Agreed, it's hard to have a rebellious, superior awards ceremony when you have people like those two, vacuous nonentities that they are. I'd expect to see those two at the Heat awards, not at a supposedly cutting-edge music showcase.