Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:00:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NME awards last night

Started by king mob, February 13, 2004, 01:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrise

i think the current state of the NME can be shown just by reproducing their MAIN news stories from recent weeks. If the story they feel most deserves huge, full page headline status is a 'feud' between the Strokes and everyone's favourite lumpen sexist cunts Jet, they've clearly got their priorities wrong. their 'reviews' section is the music equivalent of something awful like 'Official Playstation Magazine' where the score is entirely dictated by how much they're paid, and 6 or 7 out of ten is considered a disappointment, when it's actually 'above average'.

also whenever they hype any band they pick up some minor novelty about them and run with it until you're almost ashamed to like them. i'm pretty impressed with Franz Ferdinand but the NME has devoted at least a page every issue for the last 5 to how 'arty' and 'wacky' they are based purely on the fact that their lyrics are a bit more interesting than the vines or whoever.

they're also well-known for rigging their own awards ceremony - see the badly-programmed, content-lite pop-up hell that is NME.COM win best website EVERY SINGLE YEAR, and of course this year Zane Lowe (i've never met a single person who doesn't hate his radio 1 and mtv2 work) wins best DJ because he hosts the NME Chart Show on MTV2

NEW CRISIS FACING LIBERTINES - PETE DOHERTY DONE A WEE-WEE IN THE SHOWER. OPINIONS - PAGE 4!

mwude

Quote from: "Borboski"Is Zane the little aussie/american twat with the pissloop pre-reformation beard, who once said of the manics, "one of the best bands in the world, if not one of the best bands in the world"?

Or is he the little wee wet looking male TV presenter with dark floppy hair and little boy lost eyes that looks like one the presenters of monkey magic?

You're half right (meaning you're completely wrong).  The manics quote came from the infinitely punchable Vernon Kaye who sits next to the infinitely punchable June Cuntpong on the ever-shite T4:

as opposed to the infinitely punchable Zane Lowe, here sporting perhaps the most accurate t-shirt in the world:

I have a friend who once said "I would love to be Zane Lowe.  He's wicked and he's got the best job in the world."  Sometimes I don't understand the words that come out of people's mouths.

chand

Quote from: "perrise"i think the current state of the NME can be shown just by reproducing their MAIN news stories from recent weeks. If the story they feel most deserves huge, full page headline status is a 'feud' between the Strokes and everyone's favourite lumpen sexist cunts Jet, they've clearly got their priorities wrong. their 'reviews' section is the music equivalent of something awful like 'Official Playstation Magazine' where the score is entirely dictated by how much they're paid, and 6 or 7 out of ten is considered a disappointment, when it's actually 'above average'.

also whenever they hype any band they pick up some minor novelty about them and run with it until you're almost ashamed to like them.

Yeah, there's a tedious inevitability about it all. Presumably they have some staff with vaguely diverse opinions, but was there ever any doubt that the new Strokes and White Stripes albums would be at the top of their album of their year charts, regardless of actual content? And wouldn't it have been more interesting if they'd managed to find a writer to talk about 'Highly Evolved' who didn't think it was reinventing rock or being the best album since Nevermind, or some such appallingly wrong cack? I can't recall seeing any of their writers uttering a critical word about any of the 'NME bands' of the moment.

MonkeyDrummer

QuoteI don't even know who the Pixies are

I think, then, that you should stop commenting on music and go and find out.

Timmay

I was joking, it was a joke crossover from a thread in Stereo Excursions. Why would I be going to see em otherwise.

Bloody newbies.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Timmay"I was joking, it was a joke crossover from a thread in Stereo Excursions. Why would I be going to see em otherwise.

Bloody newbies.

Because Abbie got you a ticket?
Sorry, Tim, I just can't see The Pixies being your "thang".

Timmay

Well, I suppose you're right - you lot do know me really well don't you.

TraceyQ

Yes. I like your tie today.

garlicberet

although the NME gave "Hail To The Thief" a lukewarm (no pun intended) write-up...

they were wrong, of course

The best thing about the whole "ceremony" was the moustached lead singer of The Eagles of Death Metal... and Har Mar Superstar genuinely being a midget

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Timmay"I was joking, it was a joke crossover from a thread in Stereo Excursions. Why would I be going to see em otherwise.

Bloody newbies.

I was assuming that you were going to see them in a festival appearance or when they support the Chili Peppers. Therefore you're not really going to see them, rather that they'll be playing at an event you are going to.

Timmay

Oh, I see... no probs. Well, they may well be at Reading or V, so I may see em then too!!

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Timmay"Oh, I see... no probs. Well, they may well be at Reading or V, so I may see em then too!!

Ok, have i missed something. Where are you seeing them? I thought they had only confirmed T in the Park and perhaps Glastonbury some other festies and some dates with the Chilis.

Timmay

I thought I'd heard they might be at Reading or V - can't remember which. But anyway, I'm seeing em at Brixton Academy. See here.

king mob

Theres a chance to see the full arselicking horror tomorrow on C4 at 10 past midnight.