Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:32:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greatest Ever Sitcoms - Channel 5

Started by 23 Daves, January 01, 2015, 03:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobtoo

I'm pretty sure the voting for these "100 Best" type programmes is from a specified list, which they will already have opinions lined up for, so all the voting really does is determine the order.

Brundle-Fly

No Tony Hancock, no Phil Silvers, no Larry David, no Roseanne, no Simpsons. GTF!

Ignatius_S

Sorry for spoiling the mystery, but for this poll, people could vote for up to five shows out of a list of 70.

The exclusion of The Office is neither "odd" or bizarre - or any number of other shows, particularly those that are perennial favourites. This type of poll/programme is just a bit of fluff/cheap programming and as shocking as it may sound, shouldn't be taken seriously. Given that The Golden Girls is a shoo-in, let alone an option, should have been a red flag.

Also, lest we forget, Ricky Gervais very publicly ridiculed Channel 5 at the Edinburgh Television Festival, two or three years ago, when he was asked if he would ever contemplate producing something for the broadcaster. (Clue: His answer wasn't yes). Not only did this get a lot of media coverage, one high-up suit from the channel (probably its head) had to adjust his speech in order to respond - they weren't able to let the comments just slide. IIRC, this roughly coincided when Channel 5 trying to reposition itself to being more upmarket.