Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:04:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2015

Started by Mr_Simnock, January 02, 2015, 07:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Doesn't mean too much but it's nice to see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/30659167

Nadal win probs win a slam this year but I think he is a tad too rusty for the Ausy this year. I'll be happy if Murray gets to the semi's.

selectivememory

Predictions for this year:

Aussie: Djokovic
French: Nadal
Wimbledon: Djokovic
US Open: Nishikori

I think Murray is either going to return to playing as well as he did in 12/13, or he's going to decline further, but if he's up in the top four come Wimbledon, and maybe with another Masters title under his belt, I'd think he'd be in with a great shot at winning it. But he's got to get over that Federer match first, I think he needs to make the quarter-final of the Aussie at a minimum, and at this point a semifinal would be a really good result for him, so long as he isn't humiliated in defeat. I don't know what to think about Murray's prospects this year, it really could go either way.

I won't bet against Nadal at the French Open again. Three years running I've expected Djokovic to win it, but however shite he plays in the tournaments leading up to it, Nadal is always unbeatable at the French.

Djokovic is probably the favourite for every other tournament right now, but the lower ranked players are more able to beat him at this level than they were a couple of years back, so I'm less surprised these days when I see him lose in quarter- and semi-finals. Be a big surprise if he doesn't pick up at least one slam this year though.

I hope Nishikori continues his form from last year and improves on it, and doesn't suffer any injuries. He seems to me to be the most likely new slam winner for this year, unless Milos can bludgeon his way to one on the strength of his serve alone.

Federer will probably make a few slam semifinals and maybe win a couple of Masters, and stick around in the top three. I think a lot of things outside of his own influence will have to fall into place for him to win another slam though.

As for the women's game, I hope Halep and Kvitova both win slams this year, otherwise I don't really care.

biggytitbo

I'd be surprised if murray wins anything major this year. That 6 months or so he was effectively out of the game seems to have left him one step behind all the other top players and he's really struggled to catch up. I fear if he doesn't hit back straight away this year hell perpetually be struggling in the second rank of players. You fear if he meets Fed, Djokovic or a fit Nadal these days the result is an inevitable spanking, where's 2 years ago almost the reverse was true.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't see any reason to be fearful. Murray was clearly on the way back towards the end of last season, and rediscovering his touch. He answered a lot of questions about his desire which is still, blatantly massive considering the pain barrier he went through just to get to the ATP Tour finals.

Now his fitness has returned he's already one step ahead of Nadal to getting on the way back. He does have his aberrations of course, which is probably why people are reluctant to put faith in him, but the potential is massive, equal to anything Djokovic has done bar his short Terminator period and he should be coming to his peak in men's tennis. Meanwhile the challengers still refuse to consistently meet the standards of the elite players. Are Cilic and Wawrinka going to win any more slams, really? Stan again, perhaps. But the fact they're even under consideration should give any supporters of Murray huge hope because he has more will and more ability than them.

But my sports predictions always come to nought so I'll say in 2015 Murray will die in a petrochemical disaster.

Deanjam

Predictions 2015!

Australian Open:
Men: Djokovic
Women: Serena

French:
Men: Nadal
Women: Halep

Wimbledon:
Men: Dimitrov
Women: Radwanska

US Open:
Men: Raonic
Women: Halep

Men's top 10:
1. Djoker
2. Nadal
3. Fed
4. Raonic
5. Dimitrov
6. Murray
7. Nishikori
8. Wawrinka
9. Berdych
10. Goffin

Women's Top 10
1. Halep
2. Serena
3. Radwanska
4. Sharapova
5. Wozniaki
6. Bouchard
7. Kerber
8. Ivanovic
9. Kvitova
10. Bencic

I'm taking a right punt on some of them, so feel free to mock.

rjd2

I'd take Gary Glitter or Phil Taylor winning the French Open before Nadal, it's been such such a shite slam for a long time now, a new winner would definitely freshen it up. The Aussie Open is always good fun, really looking forward to it, both fields seem open and I don't think Serena or Novak are as nailed on as the bookies and most think.

selectivememory

Yeah, Nadal's record there is astounding, but it has made it a very dull tournament as it reaches its conclusion. I'd love for Djokovic to win it at least once in his career but I reckon he'll have to do it without playing Nadal, as Federer did.

Kei and Stan are both pretty good clay courters who underwhelmed at the French last year. I'm convinced that Kei is going to win a slam in the next couple of years and it'd be great if he was the one to end Nadal's run.

Aussie does indeed seem very open. Djokovic still a strong favourite I think, but as I said players other than Federer, Nadal and Murray are more capable of beating him these days - and despite his consistency at getting to the latter rounds and the fact that when he plays at his best he looks invincible, he's still only won 3 slams out of the last 12. Great record at the Aussie though; he does tend to play tremendously well in Melbourne, even by his standards.

Deanjam

Nadal's lost his first proper match of the year in the first round of Doha to Michael Berrer, currently ranked # 127. Can't see him being a threat in Melbourne.

rjd2

How the fuck can Nadal lose to Berrer, he is absolute fucking shite.

Nadal will probably go down as one of the greatest ever, but fucking hell last few years he has tanked a lot to absolute mugs.

Deanjam

Djokovic loses to Karlovic (!) in Doha. Fed scrapes through in Brisbane against living legend John Millman. Even for early season, this has been an uninspiring start for the big guns.

biggytitbo

You can hardly call it a new season anymore, some of them only stopped playing a few weeks ago.

Deanjam

Speaking of the overcooked off season, both Cilic & Tsonga haven't played yet because of injuries that they say they suffered last year, yet both played loads in the IPTL. That leagues gonna play havoc with this year's form.

Mr_Simnock

I think that league will be in trouble in the future due to the mentioned above injuries. Who is going to risk that at the end of the year and drop ranking points. It either gains ranking status or it'll turn into a side show for those outside the top ten.

biggytitbo

Deanjam

Fed smoked his mini-me 6-2 6-2 to make the Brisbane final. 999 career wins now. Will face Raonic who sadly beat Nishikori.

Ferrer v Berdych is the final in Doha. A less interesting final I'd struggle to find between 2 top 10's.

Wawrinka v Goffin is an interesting match up in the Chennai semis. Goffin is my tip to break the top 10 this year. Winner will probably face another fast mover in Bautista-Agut.

Deanjam

And while I don't know if there's much interest in WTA here, I'll mention that Sharapova, Halep & Venus won in Brisbane, Shenzen & Auckland respectively.

Good to see Halep start well, I think she's potentially the next world number 1.

selectivememory

I'm kinda hoping that Ferrer is on the permanent slide now - I did predict this time last year that he was going to slip out of the top rankings and he finally surrendered his usual top 5 berth at the end of last year. I would be surprised if he manages to get himself back in the top eight by the end of the year, and think he might end up around 15th/16th.

Nice to see Goffin doing well after his injury problems in the past, but I'd like to see Wawrinka win just because I think the Aussie is going to be a much more interesting tournament if he happens to be in form. Right now, if he's in form I'd put him at second favourite behind Djokovic, because Nadal has probably still got a way to go before he's back to his best after his surgery and I just don't think Federer can win seven best-of-five-set matches in a row (I think that his current best reflects his ranking - I'd definitely back him to beat almost anyone in a one-off best-of-five match - but the slams are hard on someone of his age; although given a kind draw he'll have a shot, of course).

Murray will be interesting to watch, but his form in the exhibitions give reason for optimism; I can't put him as a contender until I've seen him play a competitive match against a top player though, but I'll be curious to see if he's made any meaningful changes in his game or his approach to playing the best players. Other than that, Nishikori and Raonic might challenge I suppose, but Berdych is never going to win a slam (thank Christ), Cilic and Tsonga are both confirmed as not playing, and for me Dimitrov isn't quite at that level yet, having dipped a bit since his peak last year at Queens/Wimbledon.

Quote from: Deanjam on January 10, 2015, 12:47:05 PM
Good to see Halep start well, I think she's potentially the next world number 1.

Agreed. I don't have a lot of interest in the WTA, but she's someone who could make me take more notice. I'd like to see Kvitova show a little more consistency as well, because she was playing unbelievable tennis in the Wimbledon final last year.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 10, 2015, 01:10:08 PM
I just don't think Federer can win seven best-of-five-set matches in a row

Sadly I agree. But I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

Quote from: selectivememory on January 10, 2015, 01:10:08 PM
Cilic and Tsonga are both confirmed as not playing

The Cilic withdrawal has a happy knock on for British fans as it gives a direct entry into Melbourne for James Ward. Other than Murray, the first British male to get direct entry into a slam since Henman in 2007.

Deanjam

Fed gets his 1000'th win and takes the Brisbane title over Raonic 6-4, 6-7, 6-4. 16th year in a row with a title on tour. Amazing.

Milos in improving, but he's got to add more to his attack. He failed to break his opponents serve in the quarters, semis and final.

Also Jamie Murray won the Brisbane doubles with John Peers. They keep improving as a team. Could definitely see them at the 02 this year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI'd like to see Kvitova show a little more consistency as well, because she was playing unbelievable tennis in the Wimbledon final last year.

On form vs. a hungry Serena/in form Sharapova would be the best match up in women's tennis.

That final was the most ferocious faultless dismantling on the highest stage that I can't be bothered to remember any previous ones. All the more hilarious due to the Wimbledon crowd and TV stations treating Bouchard as if she was Princess Diana.

biggytitbo

Anyone watching this fast 4 match between Federer and Hewitt? Designed to be the T20 of tennis you only have to get 4 games to win a set, although oddly they've opted to make it a best of 5 set match which seems to negate the point.

Deanjam

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 12, 2015, 07:20:46 PM
oddly they've opted to make it a best of 5 set match which seems to negate the point.

That was to fill the TV time slot. All of these charity exhos are prearranged to go to a final set and then they play properly.

rjd2

Kvitova has serious heat issues though and for a long time she was on the chubby side, that and a lack of consistency has stopped her winning anything outside Wimbledon. She should really have won more in the last few years, but time on her side and all that.

selectivememory

I see Del Potro has won a couple of matches this week, including against Fognini. Poor bastard is ranked at 338 after his lengthy absence, I hope he can get himself back up in the top 20 or so by the end of the year. If he can win Sydney this week he'll be off to a very good start, but since he'll be unseeded he might be a nightmare first-round opponent for the top-ranked players at the Aussie, and possibly the next few tournaments afterwards.

Deanjam

Great to have the big fella back. He's not got a great record in Melbourne, so I'm not expecting much there. But if his wrist holds up then he'll be a threat all year.

selectivememory

Murray's potential path to the title:

1st - Qualifier
2nd - Matosevic
3rd - Klizan
4th - Dimitrov/Goffin
QF  - Federer
SF  - Nadal/Berdych
F    - Djokovic/Stan

Could have been worse, although Federer has a fairly easy draw, so I imagine he'll be fresh for their quarter-final. Maybe a chance for a quick revenge after that atrocity at the O2. I'm just glad he avoids Djokovic. Nishikori is in Stan's quarter. Del Potro plays Janowicz (both in Djokovic's quarter), nightmare draw for them both.

James Ward has Verdasco. A couple of the younger Brits (Broady and Edmund) may qualify, they have one more match to win each.

Deanjam

Before the quarters, Chardy could be a problem for Fed in round 3. But otherwise, mostly players he's handled comfortably in the past.

Murray v Dimitrov could be interesting if Grigor can repeat his form from Wimbledon.

Nadal v Youzhny could be interesting too. Youzhny hits big and has had some success against Rafa in the past. Unfortunately, the past is also where Youzhny's best days are. Beyond that it's a fairly easy draw to the semis.

Novak has Del Potro, Isner and Monfils as the biggest threats before the quarters. He should come through.

Really hope we get the Wawrinka v Nishikori quarter final.

Deanjam

Heather Watson won the second singles WTA title of her career today, with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Madison Brengle at the Hobart International. She went in unseeded and beat seeds Sloane Stephens, Roberta Vinci and Alison Riske along the way. A Fantastic effort.

Meanwhile, Kyle Edmund qualified for the main draw at a major for the first time in his career. (He's played Wimbledon before, but with wild cards). He plays Steve Johnson of America. Along with Ward & Murray, that makes 3 British men in the main draw of a non Wimbledon slam.

pigamus

Quote from: Deanjam on January 17, 2015, 02:14:59 PM
Heather Watson won the second singles WTA title of her career today, with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Madison Brengle at the Hobart International. She went in unseeded and beat seeds Sloane Stephens, Roberta Vinci and Alison Riske along the way. A Fantastic effort.

And yet, on 5 Live, they spent about three minutes talking about Andy Murray's new coaching team and then just "Oh yeah, Heather Watson won a title as well." I thought that was a bit off.

selectivememory

Good for her. She was at a similar ranking when she got ill, so it's nice to see she's managed to get herself back up there. Hard to tell if she's capable of going even higher. I always thought Robson was the more talented of the two, but she's not due back for a while yet and will probably take her an equally long time, if not longer, to get herself back up in the top 50. Both have time on their side though.

Whatever happened to Dan Evans? I was thinking he was the highest-ranked male Brit after Murray, and it wasn't that long ago that he seemed to be on the brink of breaking the top 100, but I just checked and he's not even in the top 300 any more.