Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2015

Started by Mr_Simnock, January 02, 2015, 07:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Damn those Sharapova & Nadal results were frustrating. Nadal is such a troll. Plays like a jobber against guys outside the top 100 but thrashes the top players. Be interesting to see if he has anything left in the tank.

Happy to see Kyrgios dump Borevic out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You could almost say that rank outsiders have a better chance of beating the elite players early in tournaments because they have the advantage of catching them cold, being an unknown or lesser known quantity themselves and without the mental baggage the people ranked 10-40 in the world have of being beaten by them dozens and dozens of times on tour, with regularity every year and having exhausted all hope of winning. It relies on these people playing out of their skin of course.

Shame for Tim, this probably means Nadal will go on a long run in the tournament.

selectivememory

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/30921383

Del Potro's had more surgery on his wrist. I guess this means he'll be out for the best part of this year.

Deanjam

Knew this would happen. He came back essentially saying 'I'm not fully fit but I really want to play' Stupid.

rjd2

Sela next for Nadal and then probably Gasquet (LOL) and Berdych, he should still come out of this quarter despite today's hiccup. He always throws in a few stinkers against journeymen early doors anyway.

Kryigos and Karlovic? 4 set match and only one tie break. Amazing scenes.

Men side looks pretty boring later on, women side much more interesting, Aza v Wozzy the highlight.

Nobody Soup

you're just never sure now if nadal is having his early tournament wobble or he's bollocksed his body up again. he usually comes here strong given the off season recovery time (actually I wonder if he deliberately under prepares for slams these days to give himself more chance in the later rounds)

fuck it, I'm calling kevin anderson to put him out. he's a big hitter, hitting 28 which seems to be the peak age these days, solid 2014 leading to a career high ranking at the mo'.

Deanjam

I hope Anderson gets through to meet him 'cos Gasquet is essentially a bye.

The only thing of note on the mens side today was Janowicz dumping out Monfils. Any result involving Gael can't be considered a shock as he's so inconsistent, but he must be disappointed. Jerzy could be a sleeper here if his back is feeling good.

Murray had a good whinge on Twitter today

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray

When I cramped and won in the us open last year I was a "drama Queen, unfit, needs to see a shrink, faker" weird...

A reference to Nadal I assume.

In the women's, Azarenka strolled past Wozniacki in 2, in a surprise result that wasn't really surprising. As much as I hate her hooting, I'm glad for her to be playing well again.

Tonight Baghdatis and Dimitrov start at midnight so I'll get to see a set or 2 of that. Could be fun as Marcos is playing his best tennis in years. Don't expect any trouble for the big guns, but you never know.

selectivememory

I think Murray's got a point there though, although he'd do better not to dwell on it. You rarely if ever see any negative media coverage of the likes of Nadal or Federer, and clearly that idiotic "drama queen" comment of Virginia Wade's a couple of years ago still stings.

I don't think Janowicz will get past Milos if they meet in the next round, but it'd be nice to see if he can recover the form that took him to the Wimbledon semis a couple of years back. The men's side has been very predictable so far, but there have been a couple of very enjoyable matches, and I expect the fourth round is where it's really going to get good. I think if any of the top seeds has any trouble tonight, it'll be more likely to be Berdych than Dimitrov, but I think they'll all get through. Hopefully Anderson can beat Gasquet and Kyrgios and Tomic can get through as well to set up some fun ties for the next round. Federer-Kyrgios as a night session on Rod Laver could be amazing.

Haven't seen much of the women's yet, although I've been trying to watch Halep's matches, and she's looked fine so far. A final between her and either Radwanska or Kvitova would be nice to see.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 22, 2015, 05:15:24 PM
Federer-Kyrgios as a night session on Rod Laver could be amazing.

Yeah, the crowd would go nuts for that.

I've been trying to watch Halep's matches, and she's looked fine so far. A final between her and either Radwanska or Kvitova would be nice to see.

Yes, would be nice to see a final between two attacking players.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on January 22, 2015, 04:41:58 PM
Could be fun as Marcos is playing his best tennis in years. .

Haven't watched him play in a long time, but he's certainly started well here.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 23, 2015, 12:43:04 AM
Haven't watched him play in a long time, but he's certainly started well here.

An enjoyable first set. Pity I have work in the morning, so I'll miss the end of this. Expect Dimitrov's superior fitness to see him through.

selectivememory

Baghdatis has Dimitrov on the ropes here. 2-1 up, Dimitrov looks well below his best and a little lacking in confidence, but Baghdatis has been playing pretty well.

I didn't realise Baghdatis was as young as 29. Seems like he's been around forever.

I think if any of the top seeds has any trouble tonight, it'll be more likely to be Berdych than Dimitrov

Meanwhile Berdych is coasting to victory against Troicki. Shows what I know.

biggytitbo

Latter stages of slams maybe a step too far for fed now with any regilarity? Massive for Murray though...

Deanjam

Only caught the last set over breakfast. Fed's serve was pretty poor, but Seppi played well. He's losing before the quarters more often these days, but still has it in him to go deep at times. As biggy says, big for Murray.

selectivememory

Although he's got to get past Dimitrov, but on the evidence of their most recent matches Murray *should* be ok (although he was looking good going into that Wimbledon match last year). Big for Kyrgios as well, looking to make his second slam quarterfinal.

It's going to be interesting to see how Nadal plays today after his match the other day. I think Berdych looks strongest in that quarter, and he'd be a difficult semifinal for Murray (perhaps even more so than this slightly out of shape Nadal) if it pans out that way.

selectivememory

Good stuff from Kyrgios. He should have a good chance against Seppi, and then a quarterfinal against either Murray or Dimitrov to follow. Definitely think this kid will win slams in the future.

biggytitbo

Murray has swatted aside Dmitrov and Kyrgios in recent months. Obviously it's murray so you can never be confident but he should make it past either.

selectivememory

He's got to be strong favourite to make it out of that quarter - Dimitrov looks well below his best and at this point in his career I don't think Kyrgios is going to cause Murray much trouble. Murray would have to have a stinker to lose to either of them. Too early to tell if he's made the necessary improvements and changes to his game over the Christmas break, but I think he's got a very decent shot at making his fourth final here, and his form looks promising at least. I just hope he avoids Berdych in the semifinal. Rafa in his current state is very beatable and Murray will fancy his chances, but Berdych has looked very good so far and that's never been a nice match-up for Murray.

rjd2

Dimitrov has played a few decent players though, Baggy smashed Goffin so was always going to be tough. Murray has had bums to beat and that is been kind. I think its going to be very tough for Murray now he plays people who have some talent.

Deanjam

God, I love the better Radwanska.

rjd2

She has been awesome this week, Venus is not a pushover, but I'd be stunned if Aggie didn't get the job done their. Serena started slow, got away with it in the end, but Muguruzu next is a serious talent and smashed her at the french last year, that is going to be an absolute corker as Muguruzu is insanely streaky.

The women side does look open, Azarenka playing pretty well, interesting to see Kvitova v Keys in a bit.

Men side wasn't that exciting, Lopez beat a pretty erratic Jerzy to set up a match with Raonic, their may be tie breaks. Nishikori continues to march on, he has had a horror draw, Almagro, Dodig and Johnson all tough opponents, especially compared to the mugs Murray has been beating. Next up is probably Ferrer or Simon who could be playing this time tomorrow. 

rjd2

Oh Fernando...

2 down v Novak. first set he served bombs to get it to the tie break, then at 5-3 up, he served the most wretched double fault you will see for a long time in the tie break. Great fun to watch, but he must break his coaches heart.

Deanjam

They don't call him 'fiasco' for nothing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kvitova you silly twat...

rjd2

Her record outside Wimbledon is getting worse and worse, Keys is decent but not exactly unbeatable.

Ferrer is through finally against Simon.

Last 16 Men.

Anderson v Nadal

It will be tough as Kev is underrated, but best of five, Nadal should get it done, probably in four sets though.

Berdych v Tomic

Berdych been impressive so far, and I don't rate Tomic to much, doubt it will be straight sets, but Berdych will have to under perform hugely to lose this.

Kryigos v Seppi

So often when players have a career highlight of an upset win, they bomb the next match, no reason for this to be any different. Kryigos if he is serious should win this type of match more often than not as he simply is the better player.

Dimitrov v Murray

I can't get on any sort of hype bandwagon of Murray, the players he dispatched have been dirt, Dimitrov is quality and stepped it up impressively against a resurgent Bagdatis who lets not forget smashed Goffin.

Djokovic v Muller

Muller can serve like a beast when in the zone, so he losing in three isn't a formality, but I don't see how Novak doesn't win this. If he was to lose, probably his worst loss in years when you consider the gulf in class.
Raonic v Lopez

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ferrer v Nishy

While Murray has been blessed the first week, Kei really hasn't, Almagro, Dodig and Johnson is a horror start to a week, but Kei has got it done. Ferrer is the last opponent he would want after that, but ultimately at this stage of their respective careers, Kei is the better player so should win.

Stan v Garcia Lopez

Garcia Lopez has beaten him before and has also beaten Rafa and Murray, but Wawrinka has looked quite good so far, for him to lose he is going to have to go back to the bad old days where he would implode for no reason at all. Sadly for Lopez, that probably won't happen at this Slam at least.

selectivememory

Quote from: rjd2 on January 24, 2015, 12:59:11 PM
Dimitrov v Murray

I can't get on any sort of hype bandwagon of Murray, the players he dispatched have been dirt, Dimitrov is quality and stepped it up impressively against a resurgent Bagdatis who lets not forget smashed Goffin.

I still think that at this moment in time Murray is a better player than Dimitrov, who still has a way to go before the hype has been justified. Murray did start to beat the players he should be beating towards the end of last year (beating Dimitrov, Raonic, Cilic and Ferrer) and if he has made improvements over the Xmas break, he may well be getting back to his best.

No hype around Murray as far as I can see though, I think most of his fans are cautiously optimistic. It's still quite difficult to tell where he's at, but in theory there's no reason why he can't get back to his 2012/13 form. And the reason he's still rated so highly is because at his best he is an exceptional player and a cut above everyone barring the obvious three. There were plenty of obvious reasons why he struggled so much last year which he seems to have addressed. I don't think his comeback from spinal surgery should be underestimated, and he's taken steps to deal with the problems in his coaching staff. I think he's taking some new approaches towards training and even towards his game in general, to which it can take time to adapt, but if it does all come together he's going to be back up in the top 3 before long.

But maybe he'll play a stinker tomorrow and we'll be back to square one again. But I don't think so. Agree with all your other predictions though. Kei has looked good and has such a good recent record against Ferrer that he should beat him, especially now that Ferrer seems to be declining while Kei is heading in the opposite direction.

selectivememory

BTW, that Murray-Dimitrov match is last on Rod Laver tomorrow, which means it'll be a nice Sunday morning match for those of us in the UK. I really didn't want to stay up until 3 to watch it.

biggytitbo

Last time they played Murray won easily 6-3, 6-3. Murray should get it done in 4.

selectivememory

I love your new hat Titbo.

biggytitbo

Ohh its just a little something I threw on. I didn't even think anyone would notice.