Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 9

Started by Replies From View, January 05, 2015, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

BritishHobo

All I hope for this season is that Doctor Who finally manages to score a bank shot from the three-point line.

biggytitbo

As I believe will become apparent, its not Clara thats the problem...

Blumf

What writers are lined up? Anybody fresh?

Thomas

Quote from: Blumf on January 05, 2015, 04:30:36 PM
What writers are lined up? Anybody fresh?

A summary -

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/features/guides/doctor-who-news-summary-everything-we-know-so-far-about-series-9

QuoteWriters: Steven Moffat, Catherine Tregenna, Mark Gatiss,  Jack Lothian*, Chris Chibnall*, Peter Harness*, Phil Ford*, Neil Cross*, Jamie Mathieson*.

Some of those might be uncertain, though.

Replies From View

Ah, Chris Chibnall.  Biggy presumably won't be moaning about the quality of the writing this year, then.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2015, 04:38:02 PM
Ah, Chris Chibnall.  Biggy presumably won't be moaning about the quality of the writing this year, then.

No doubt Gatiss and Thompson will be back again though, and maybe Roberts.  Chibnal did better than any of them the last time he had a go but even then I don't want to see him back.

New writers please, not the same old hacks.

non capisco

I'll be tuning in like every year waiting to see if they've made the 'The Doctor Meets Purple Aki' script I sent in a while ago. Admittedly they'll have to cross out the bits that say 'Rose' and change them to 'Clara' but it'll be worth their while.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 05, 2015, 06:47:01 PM
Chibnal did better than any of them the last time he had a go but even then I don't want to see him back.

Yes you do want to see him back.  Certainly do.

BritishHobo

Catherine Tregenna, fact fans, is the first woman ever to be involved in Doctor Who.

Shaky

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 05, 2015, 10:39:54 PM
Catherine Tregenna, fact fans, is the first woman ever to be involved in Doctor Who.

This is true. In addition, she's never actually seen - or even heard of - the show and therefore she'll have to try to guess what it's about when writing her episode.

biggytitbo

She is the first woman ever to write.

Blumf

Tregenna sounds like a good alien name, maybe she could use that. Tregenna from the planet Luton.

Shaky

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 05, 2015, 11:45:36 PM

Wait a minute, wait a minute... isn't "Catherine Tregenna" just an anagram of "Tranny Gentleman"??

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shaky on January 06, 2015, 12:09:30 AM
Wait a minute, wait a minute... isn't "Catherine Tregenna" just an anagram of "Tranny Gentleman"??

Yes, it's a ruse to get another Mark Gatiss episode in S9. In fairness he's always looked very fetching in a frock.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 05, 2015, 11:45:36 PM

I imagine the production team were suspicious when this "Catherine Tregenna" showed she knew what a pen was and how to use it to form marks on a page.

"Which fella spilled the beans?" they would have been wondering.  And panicking still further:  "What would possess any man to give away man secrets to a nonman?" 

Then the dark days would have turned to light as Gatiss grinned and pulled down his fake lady-beard, revealing his shiny smooth Gatiss chin underneath.  "It's like when the Master called himself 'Tremas' and that.  I thought you'd guess it from the 'Tre'."

The Duck Man

So then, apologies if this has been done recently (I haven't really kept up with series 8/the thread around it), but who might people want to see write the show?

We'll exclude Moffat, Gatiss, Chibnall, Stephen Thompson, Phil Ford, Gareth Roberts as givens (for the latter two, if not for every season, then at least as regular returnees). As I said, I haven't seen series 8, so can't comment on the newbees (Peter Harness/Jamie Mathieson/Frank Cottrell Boyce) so others can chip in there. Some candidates...

Previous writers (generally viewed favourably):
Neil Gaiman
Toby Whithouse
Richard Curtis
Simon Nye
RTD
Paul Cornell

Previous writers (generally viewed fairly favourably):
Neil Cross
Tom MacRae
Matt Jones

Previous writers (meh):
Matthew Graham (most estabished TV writer of this set)
Stephen Greenhorn
Helen Raynor
Keith Temple
James Moran
Robert Shearman

Torchwood writers (if not already mentioned):
Peter J Hammond
Paul Thomalin & Dan McCulloch
Jacquetta May
Catherine Tregenna (to write for series 9)
Noel Clarke
J.C. Wilsher
Joseph Lidster (also did SJA)

SJA writers (if not already mentioned):
Phil Gladwin
Rupert Laight
Clayton Hickman (with Gareth Roberts)

Previously mooted writers:
David Renwick
Howard Overman
Terry Pratchett (possibly with daughter Rihanna)
Stephen Fry
JK Rowling

Auteurs or directors working with established writing partners:
Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg
Reece Shearsmith/Steve Pemberton
Joe Cornish
Ben Wheatley
Garth Jennings
Peter Jackson
Gareth Edwards
JJ Abrams (somewhat fanciful, but I've seen him mentioned)

I was going to do the bigger names in British TV writing, but I've ran out of will a bit. Maybe later! I've probably missed out someone obvious too. Anyway debate away/post your candidates!

Replies From View

Why have you skipped watching series 8, you big daft oaf?

mycroft

We're stupidly overdue an episode written by Charlie Higson.

The Duck Man

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2015, 03:06:06 PM
Why have you skipped watching series 8, you big daft oaf?
It wasn't deliberate, I just missed a few episodes at the start then never got round to catching up.

TotalNightmare

I would actually be very interested to see what RTD would do if he came back to the show... and also, cynically speaking, it would be good press and an interesting way of trying to reach out to the broader audiences I think Moffat can't quite speak to

Replies From View

Quote from: TotalNightmare on January 06, 2015, 03:25:09 PM
I would actually be very interested to see what RTD would do if he came back to the show... and also, cynically speaking, it would be good press and an interesting way of trying to reach out to the broader audiences I think Moffat can't quite speak to

Not "broader audiences".  Just the squawking twats who believe the Doctor should regenerate back into David Tennant and the show should regress to its 2005 state.

BritishHobo

As much as I hate those people, I would really love to see Davies write an episode - just one stand-alone, whatever he wants to do with it. No big arc stuff, no important moments in the companion's storyline. One tight episode (or two-parter).

It's a shame he never wrote for Matt Smith, I would've loved to have seen that.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 06, 2015, 03:56:24 PM
It's a shame he never wrote for Matt Smith, I would've loved to have seen that.

He did.  It just happens to have been for a SJA episode rather than a Doctor Who one.

Matt Smith's Doctor said Jo Grant looked "pickled" in it.  Nice of him.

Natnar

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2015, 03:42:13 PM
Not "broader audiences".  Just the squawking twats who believe the Doctor should regenerate back into David Tennant and the show should regress to its 2005 state.

Better than the brown nosing twats who are stuck up Moffat's arse all the time...

Replies From View

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2015, 04:00:50 PM
He did.  It just happens to have been for a SJA episode rather than a Doctor Who one.

Matt Smith's Doctor said Jo Grant looked "pickled" in it.  Nice of him.

Oh god, aye, I forgot about that. Ignore me.

All I remember of that two-parter is Matt Smith not even appearing until part two, and one character saying "I can see your bum!" to another. In retrospect, maybe I'm not that fussed about seeing Davies write for Matt Smith.

mycroft

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2015, 04:25:10 PM
Paul Kaye is confirmed for series 9

Playing a character called 'Prentis'. I hope his first name is 'Drentis'.

That doesn't work. Fuck it, submit.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 06, 2015, 04:25:57 PM
Oh god, aye, I forgot about that. Ignore me.

All I remember of that two-parter is Matt Smith not even appearing until part two, and one character saying "I can see your bum!" to another. In retrospect, maybe I'm not that fussed about seeing Davies write for Matt Smith.

Attaboy.  Reality comes storming back into sharp relief.

Replies From View

Quote from: mycroft on January 06, 2015, 04:33:02 PM
Playing a character called 'Prentis'.

Either the Magician of the episode's title is "one of these", or this is one of those new-fangled too-obvious-surely bluff thingies.