Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 9

Started by Replies From View, January 05, 2015, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFB

Quote from: gloria on October 26, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
That 'purple, the colour of death' bollocks.

If they don't have a flashback to that when it's time for Clara to die and she's wearing purple or something, I will eat something vaguely unpleasant.

kittens

purple, the colour of death

fucking meaningless

just, what mate

'purple, the colour of death'

fuck's sake

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on October 26, 2015, 05:33:48 PM
Probably worth pointing out that without the lion stuff this story would have been the first pure historical story for precisely fucking ages.

Thats a strange thing to say, since if you took the alien out of any historical story it would be a 'pure historical' aswell.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 26, 2015, 05:54:44 PM
Thats a strange thing to say, since if you took the alien out of any historical story it would be a 'pure historical' aswell.

I nearly added this comment myself but couldn't be arsed.

Quote from: Replies From View on October 26, 2015, 01:28:23 PM
But you've already been told that it's fine for them to be there historically and you did a sidestep "ooh okay never mind the black ones how about an Asian one then", which was then countered sufficiently too.  It's clearly not an issue yet here you are getting into a sweat for your own obsessive and wrong reasons.

When was the Asian one countered with fact?

I don't just do this for fun you know, before I even posted the first time I did some research into the demographics of the UK specifically because I had no idea black people were here that early - my quick research revealed that they weren't in very large supply and probably reasonable to say that, if the black population of the country today is only 3%[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom#Ethnicity[/nb] that it couldn't have been even a quarter of that back then, so for one to happen to be in some tiny market village on that particular day, along with an equally anachronistic asian woman and an even more anachronistic black soldier with a regional accent, was unlikely to the point of impossible.

I'm not sure why there isn't a record of it, wasn't the first census in 1066? How can the only information be that "there were 25 in Aldgate"[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British#16th_century[/nb] and other than that there were some dotted about but no firm numbers? There were censuses back then right?

Fuck it, I've learnt my lesson. Never make an observation about anything that the shitmunchers don't want to hear.

Replies From View

Christ.

Now we've reached the 100 page count I'll start a new thread to continue talk on Doctor Who Series 9.  If you like you can stay here and continue wittering to your heart's content about whatever it is.

Mango Chimes

Call me a fucking legend if you like, but I think it's good that a programme can acknowledge the presence of non-white people existing in the country before 1960.  I'd hope that such a thing could help subtly chip away at the Enoch Powell protestations of the country's bellend population.

An optimistic legend, perhaps.  Maybe it'll just lead to tedious, wankish wailings, goalpost shifting and endless disingenuous requests for spoon-feeding on internet forums, I don't know.

Anyway, stepping back away from the roundabout, I'm more likely to post criticisms than praise because I find it more interesting, but half way (right?) into the series and I think it's been okay.  But there's been nothing excellent yet.  And whilst I'm happy that Moffat/Capaldi/whoever has made a decision on what the character actually is now, I am a bit sad to have lost the cunt Doctor who was inconsistently glimpsed last series.

weekender

Quote from: Replies From View on October 26, 2015, 06:47:59 PMNow we've reached the 100 page count I'll start a new thread to continue talk on Doctor Who Series 9.  If you like you can stay here and continue wittering to your heart's content about whatever it is.

I'd like to stay here talking about why the wrestling thread has made it to 105 pages, and how we should use that as a basis to discuss arbitrary page limits which may or may not have some reason to do with something.

Has The Doctor ever mentioned anything about the Tardis databanks having limits?

Replies From View

Quote from: weekender on October 26, 2015, 06:55:37 PM
I'd like to stay here talking about why the wrestling thread has made it to 105 pages, and how we should use that as a basis to discuss arbitrary page limits which may or may not have some reason to do with something.

Has The Doctor ever mentioned anything about the Tardis databanks having limits?

At around 100 pages threads start to get a bit screwy, so it's not arbitrary.  When we were being moderated threads would tend to get locked a few pages after 100, but now we need to decide amongst ourselves when it's time to take our bags and furniture over to a "part 2" thread.

weekender

Quote from: Mango Chimes on October 26, 2015, 06:52:01 PMI think it's good that a programme can acknowledge the presence of non-white people existing in the country before 1960. 

Except that as a programme it can't do that because it only started in 1963, and anyway the first black person anyone can remember being in it was Toberman and that was in 1967.

Replies From View

weekender

Quote from: Replies From View on October 26, 2015, 06:57:58 PM
At around 100 pages threads start to get a bit screwy

You mean 'timey-wimey'[nb]Because the pages start loading slower.[/nb]

weekender

You should name your new thread 'Series 9 Part 2' so that we all know what it means.

This also has the advantage because the 'Series 9 Part 1' DVD does actually consist of the first six episodes of S9, so if someone renames the original thread we have a nice sort of symmetry.

Although presumably 'Series 9 Part 2' won't ultimately do that because of some sort of confusion about which box-set to put a shitty Christmas episode on that no-one will watch anyway, but it's a start.

olliebean

Quote from: weekender on October 26, 2015, 06:59:04 PM
Except that as a programme it can't do that because it only started in 1963, and anyway the first black person anyone can remember being in it was Toberman and that was in 1967.

Ooh, good point. Good of you to remind us that no programme can ever feature anything that existed prior to the time that programme started being made.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 26, 2015, 06:25:22 PM...so for one to happen to be in some tiny market village on that particular day...

You said this about it being a tiny village before, and I meant to pick up on it then.

This wasn't "some tiny market village".  This was fucking TYBURN, the spot in what was then outer London (now the site of Marble Arch) where they did all of London's hangings.  It was the massive hanging entertainment spot of its age.

Complain, if you like (as I did here) that the production team made it look like a tiny village instead of a major tourist attraction that "attract[ed] crowds of thousands", but if anywhere in London short of the actual docks was gonna have lots of different kinds of people around, it was probably there.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on October 26, 2015, 05:33:48 PM
Probably worth pointing out that without the lion stuff this story would have been the first pure historical story for precisely fucking ages.

Which would have been fine. The main problem with the episode wasn't that it was a pure historical,[nb]Wait, can you do a pure historical if one of the supporting characters is an immortal Viking?[/nb] it's that it was ponderously plotted and had no urgency, stakes or drive until about the last 15 minutes.

EDIT: Misinterpreted; I though you were saying that the episode's runtime spent "fucking ages" as a historical before lumping in some sci-fi gubbins at the end.

Anyway, the thread's dead. No immortality for you, Doctor Who thread!