Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:19:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 9

Started by Replies From View, January 05, 2015, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

I hope his surname is 'Hancock'.

Thomas

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2015, 04:00:50 PM
He did.  It just happens to have been for a SJA episode rather than a Doctor Who one.

Matt Smith's Doctor said Jo Grant looked "pickled" in it.  Nice of him.

He also assured Sarah Jane that regeneration 'always hurts'.[nb]But, as we've seen, that's only been the case in 'The Night of the Doctor' hahahahaha![/nb]

biggytitbo

Paul Kaye, best know as that cunt in the Bet Victor adverts.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on January 06, 2015, 06:21:47 PM
He also assured Sarah Jane that regeneration 'always hurts'.[nb]But, as we've seen, that's only been the case in 'The Night of the Doctor' hahahahaha![/nb]

He hasn't been conscious for most of them.  And anyway perhaps he just meant figuratively, as in:  "It really hurt to leave my rotund sixth persona behind, but I had to because I fell on the fucking floor."

Deanjam

Christ, Paul Kaye's in Game of Thrones now. Is there anyone from Britain not in that show? Am I in it?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Deanjam on January 06, 2015, 06:39:33 PM
Christ, Paul Kaye's in Game of Thrones now. Is there anyone from Britain not in that show? Am I in it?

Yes you got your tits out in he last episode.

Deanjam

biggytitbo

No you're a serious actor and your tits were making a very serious point (well 2 serious points)

Attila

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 06, 2015, 06:34:59 PM

He does one of the voices in the Modern Toss Space Argument (Mackenzie Crook is the other), so he's got in some space drama experience.

Attila

Quote from: mycroft on January 06, 2015, 03:06:59 PM
We're stupidly overdue an episode written by Charlie Higson Brooker.

BritishHobo

Considering Anthony Horowitz is now the official writer of the Sherlock Holmes and James Bond series, I'm surprised he's not gotten involved with Who yet.

The Roofdog

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 06, 2015, 06:34:59 PM

I didn't realise that was him! I thought it was a real lady

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 06, 2015, 09:58:44 PM
Considering Anthony Horowitz is now the official writer of the Sherlock Holmes and James Bond series, I'm surprised he's not gotten involved with Who yet.

Yeah. And speaking of childrens/ young adult authors who would suit Doctor Who, I reckon Eoin Colfer would be pretty good too. Fuck it, throw Lemony Snicket in as well, why not.

Old Nehamkin

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 06, 2015, 10:26:15 PM
Yeah. And speaking of childrens/ young adult authors who would suit Doctor Who, I reckon Eoin Colfer would be pretty good too. Fuck it, throw Lemony Snicket in as well, why not.

Perhaps this would be up your street:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-First-Anniversary-E-Shorts-ebook/dp/B00AX0MRNK

Featuring such reviews as:

Quote6 of 6 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who? 24 Feb. 2013
By Benlroberts
Format:Kindle Edition

The majority of reviews for this book are 1-star, and I can see why - this book/ebook/thing/ta is so awful I stopped reading by chapter 4, because I gathered from other reviews that it only gets worse.

Whoever the main antagonist in this book is, it sure as hell isn't the first doctor. I could never imagine William Hartnell leaping across tall buildings, rushing about or crushing doors with his bare hands (even with a bionic-super-strength-cyborg-hand, which is far-fetched anyway).

Then there's the overused references to the future. Fake tan, Blakes 7, Hogwarts. You can only do the whole "That doesn't happen for another X number of years" thing a few times before it becomes tiresome. Eoin Colfer overused it, and in my opinion made the 'Doctor' sound like a complete halfwit.

The soul pirates remind me of the giants from the BFG. "Igby kill white-hair!" - are these really all the Doctor has to fight against in this novel?

I've never read any of Colfer's 'Artimes Fowl' books before, and judging by this abomination of an attempt at writing a Doctor Who story, I cannot say I want to.

Here's hoping Michael Scott's attempt at writing for the Second Doctor is much better than this, or I can't see myself carrying on with this series...

Old Nehamkin

OK fair enough it sounds like he's a bit rubbish at doctor who.

BritishHobo

There's also apparently a bit where William Hartnell wishes he was the Eleventh Doctor, but I've never been arsed enough to look up the actual wording.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 06, 2015, 10:43:07 PM
There's also apparently a bit where William Hartnell wishes he was the Eleventh Doctor, but I've never been arsed enough to look up the actual wording.

Yes apparently he drops a reference to "the young one with the bow tie" or some such guff.  And he's aware of all his other incarnations up to the Eleventh Doctor.

BritishHobo

Quote from: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/russell-t-davies-on-new-whos-10th-anniversary-70939.htmThe man who brought back Doctor Who almost a decade ago, Russell T Davies, has spoken about whether he knows of any plans for the 10th anniversary.

Davies told the RadioTimes: "Someone from the [BBC's] branding team sent me a very lovely email saying do you want to do something."

"I don't know what they imagined: a talk or a convention perhaps. I just said no, to be honest. A programme can't have its fiftieth and then its tenth. I think that's just confusing. It's marvellous and glorious; let it carry on."

Asked about writing an episode for the show again, he replied: "Wouldn't that be nice? The lovely Steven [Moffat] invites me every year to come and write one. And I love him and I love them and I love watching it, but here I am, moving on. I love Doctor Who with all my heart but nothing is more important to me than my own stuff."

Replies From View

Quote"I don't know what they imagined: a talk or a convention perhaps. I just said no, to be honest. A programme can't have its fiftieth and then its tenth. I think that's just confusing. It's marvellous and glorious; let it carry on."

Yes; I agree with this.

BritishHobo

Indeed. RTD speaks a lot of sense there, which is why I think he's the ideal candidate to head the tenth anniversary celebrations.

HappyTree

olliebean

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 06, 2015, 10:37:37 PM
OK fair enough it sounds like he's a bit rubbish at doctor who.

He's rubbish at Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well. I've not read any of his own books, but he doesn't seem much cop at writing for other people's characters.

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2015, 11:40:27 PM
Yes; I agree with this.

Me too.

But I really dislike his Doctor Who, so am glad he's keeping away.

biggytitbo

It'd be a great thing for RTD to come back and write a run of the mill, non arc, non universe in peril episode. I think he'd do something brilliant, but it looks like he has moved on. Maybe one day.

Mister Six

Would also like to see RTD coming back for a brief stint or two, but I can imagine he probably wants to stay away; might find it weird, working for someone who's doing the job that he basically created. Maybe after Moffat goes, he'll feel like enough time has passed?

Quote from: The Duck Man on January 06, 2015, 03:02:51 PM
So then, apologies if this has been done recently (I haven't really kept up with series 8/the thread around it), but who might people want to see write the show?

Skipping the people who've written for the show already (though I'd definitely like to see Neil Cross and Jamie Mathieson back - especially Mathieson), I like these suggestions from you -

QuoteDavid Renwick
Howard Overman
Terry Pratchett (possibly with daughter Rihanna)

Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg
Joe Cornish
Garth Jennings
Peter Jackson
JJ Abrams (somewhat fanciful, but I've seen him mentioned)

Though Jackson mostly because I think he'd benefit from being forced to use a low budget again so he can't just throw pixels all over the shop, and Abrams because I've no idea how that would turn out. And Pratchett's just trying to clear the slate of unfinished projects that he's built up over his career before the Alzheimers swallows him completely, so I doubt he'd find the time.

Anyway. Other writers and directors I'd like to see giving Who a go (some of whom aren't British/Commonwealth, so maybe they wouldn't be allowed to or something, and I don't know if they'd even want the job):

Charlie Brooker
Grant Morrison (comic book author, but has written loads of spec scripts)
Toby Whithouse (as showrunner)
Brian K Vaughan (his current sci-fi comic, Saga, has loads of marvellous sci-fantasy ideas)
Mike Carey (I just really like his comics)
Duncan Jones
John Logan (Anglophile film writer; created the ace Penny Dreadful TV show, and wrote Skyfall, Hugo, Sweeney Todd and Rango.)[nb]Not a fan of Sweeney Todd or Hugo, but threw them in as they're very Brit-influenced films, in casting if nothing else. And I love Rango.[/nb]
Armando Iannucci (does he actually like Doctor Who?)
Joss Whedon (oh shut up)
Michael Chabon
Tom Stoppard
Michael Moorcock
Dennis Kelly
Harlan Ellison
Neill Blomkamp
The bloke who writes Rick & Morty that isn't Dan Harmon
Iain M Banks, except he's not a fan of New Who, and is dead.

And on an acting tip, Bob Dylan is supposedly a fan of the original series. So bring him in as the new Rani.

pigamus

Quote from: Mister Six on January 07, 2015, 09:36:33 PM
Would also like to see RTD coming back for a brief stint or two, but I can imagine he probably wants to stay away; might find it weird, working for someone who's doing the job that he basically created. Maybe after Moffat goes, he'll feel like enough time has passed?

Skipping the people who've written for the show already (though I'd definitely like to see Neil Cross and Jamie Mathieson back - especially Mathieson), I like these suggestions from you -

Though Jackson mostly because I think he'd benefit from being forced to use a low budget again so he can't just throw pixels all over the shop, and Abrams because I've no idea how that would turn out. And Pratchett's just trying to clear the slate of unfinished projects that he's built up over his career before the Alzheimers swallows him completely, so I doubt he'd find the time.

Anyway. Other writers and directors I'd like to see giving Who a go (some of whom aren't British/Commonwealth, so maybe they wouldn't be allowed to or something, and I don't know if they'd even want the job):

Charlie Brooker
Grant Morrison (comic book author, but has written loads of spec scripts)
Toby Whithouse (as showrunner)
Brian K Vaughan (his current sci-fi comic, Saga, has loads of marvellous sci-fantasy ideas)
Mike Carey (I just really like his comics)
Duncan Jones
John Logan (Anglophile film writer; created the ace Penny Dreadful TV show, and wrote Skyfall, Hugo, Sweeney Todd and Rango.)[nb]Not a fan of Sweeney Todd or Hugo, but threw them in as they're very Brit-influenced films, in casting if nothing else. And I love Rango.[/nb]
Armando Iannucci (does he actually like Doctor Who?)
Joss Whedon (oh shut up)
Michael Chabon
Tom Stoppard
Michael Moorcock
Dennis Kelly
Harlan Ellison
Neill Blomkamp
The bloke who writes Rick & Morty that isn't Dan Harmon
Iain M Banks, except he's not a fan of New Who, and is dead.

And on an acting tip, Bob Dylan is supposedly a fan of the original series. So bring him in as the new Rani.

I'm not having a go at you, but isn't it a shame that they're all blokes? If the show is now so popular with young women, why are there so few obvious female candidates to write for it?

Not shit stirring, just genuinely curious.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on January 07, 2015, 09:44:38 PM
If the show is now so popular with young women, why are there so few obvious female candidates to write for it?

Because they are still only about 16 years old.

Don't worry - in about ten years Doctor Who will be written mostly by people who think the very core of the show was the tenth Doctor and Rose being in love.